White Rice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Rice

I've noticed on other threads that some people regularly include white rice in their Primal diet. Isn't this a "bad" carb? Why would white rice be a better choice than whole grain rice?

I really try to avoid rice in any form due to my perception that it is a "bad" carb, along the lines of pasta.

Thoughts appreciated.

Mark did a post on rice a while ago: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Basically, white rice is lower in minerals, but it also doesn't have the phytates that would bind those minerals. It's pretty much pure starch whereas brown rice is starch + anti-nutrients.

Also, it is gluten-free whereas pasta made from wheat of course is not.

Comment

There are no bad carbs.

Carbohydrate is carbohydrate. What matters is the package that it comes in. In the case of white rice, it's mostly starch. Brown rice has the bran attached, which has the bad stuff that blocks nutrient absorption and tears up the gut. Same with wheat but worse.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I eat white rice - mainly because I'm a sushi fiend, but also because my body does better with a higher carb count (100 - 150/day). I try to focus on veggie carbs as my main sources to keep my carb count in that range, but I do eat white rice maybe once/week.

Comment

What about table sugar? Is that a bad carb?

Comment

What forms/brands of white rice are "acceptable"? I've gone to the store and there always different versions (long grain, enriched, etc.)??? Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by johnbu1981 View Post
              What about table sugar? Is that a bad carb?
              yes refined sugars are bad. use stevia.
              "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
              started @400+pounds
              CW: 191lbs 15%BF
              PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
              UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Originally posted by JVAMan View Post
                What forms/brands of white rice are "acceptable"? I've gone to the store and there always different versions (long grain, enriched, etc.)??? Any recommendations?
                id stay away from enriched anything, i use organic basmati rice(long grain). but i eat a lot of sushi as well and thats glutinous(short-grain) as long as its white rice doesnt really matter too much.
                "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
                started @400+pounds

Comment

I'm still confused...so basmati rice = white rice? So really what you're looking for is not necessarily something called "white", butwhite in appearance (with the outer layers removed) and the least amount of extra crap in the ingredients?

Comment

Originally posted by Chochobo View Post
                    yes refined sugars are bad. use stevia.
                    Ahh so there is such a thing as a bad carb.. Gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by JVAMan View Post
                      I'm still confused...so basmati rice = white rice? So really what you're looking for is not necessarily something called "white", butwhite in appearance (with the outer layers removed) and the least amount of extra crap in the ingredients?
                      white rice is just a general term. theres a whole bunch of dif types but yes to ur question.

my weight loss story...
                      started @400+pounds

Comment

For those of you who use white rice for post workout starch sources...how long do you usually soak it for (if at all?)

Comment

IMO, all grains are bad. The plant will always protect its genetic legacy. Just because we haven't identified what it is that's bad, doesn't mean that the plant is defenseless. 30 years ago, gluten wasn't known to be bad, but if we were eating Primally, then we would've been ok. I also think the whole ok if you can tolerate it" is kind of a cop-out...it spikes insulin levels either way and shouldn't be included regularly. Once in a while as a treat, yes...every day staple...I don't think so.

Comment

Here we go: Rice interferes with Human Gene Expression: September issue of Nature Magazine
                            Article:
                            http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/vao...r2011158a.html

Review of article:
                            Rice, Potatoes, Wheat, and Other Plants Interfere with Human Gene Expression | Evolvify

Comment

Originally posted by BiggaWhat View Post
                              For those of you who use white rice for post workout starch sources...how long do you usually soak it for (if at all?)
                              no need to soak white rice.

@abe, id agree that white rice is not good for an everyday staple. but i eat it 2 times a week. then again im not metabolically messed up or insulin resistant and for carb up its cleanest source of starch there is. im sure theres something wrong in everything we eat.

is fat bad for u too? theres articles about how fat is bad for u.
                              is eating red meat bad for u? samething..

my weight loss story...
                              started @400+pounds

Comment

Working...
                              X