Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grass-fed ground beef gross?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grass-fed ground beef gross?

    You know how corn-fed ground beef is pretty much all the undesired parts or meat slightly gone bad all ground together? Is it as equally disgusting for grass-fed?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

  • #2
    Ground beef is the meat that doesn't make it into a steak or brisket, yeah, and is often shaved off bones, and often contains offal. But to be honest, that is what makes it yummy, grass fed or otherwise

    But to answer your question, grass fed and non-grass fed ground beef is made the exact same way, and has the same amount of goodness (or badness) in it.

    --Me

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know where you shop, but I would stop shopping there.

      Comment


      • #4
        There shouldn't be any offal in ground beef. It should only be the scrap muscle meat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Buy a steak and have them grind it. Problem solved. Ground beef doesn't contain offal. You basically have various grinds... ground chuck, around the neck/shoulder area (tends to be fattier), ground round (towards the end of the cow rump region), a little leaner and then you have ground sirloin which is essentially a sirloin steak all ground up (very lean). I seriously doubt any reputable store puts bad or older meat in there... but I could be wrong!
          "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
            Buy a steak and have them grind it. Problem solved. Ground beef doesn't contain offal. You basically have various grinds... ground chuck, around the neck/shoulder area (tends to be fattier), ground round (towards the end of the cow rump region), a little leaner and then you have ground sirloin which is essentially a sirloin steak all ground up (very lean). I seriously doubt any reputable store puts bad or older meat in there... but I could be wrong!
            Lol, I wish. I'd rather eat it as a steak for $12/lb instead of opting for ground steak over the $5/lb ground beef xP
            My chocolatey Primal journey

            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, I don't personally care if it contains offal. In fact, the more the better. However, I am finding that grass fed beef in general is a bit more chewy. I can deal with it, but hubby prefers grain fed because it is tender.

              Any ideas as to ways to make it tender? I made meatballs with grass fed beef and it was a bit difficult chew-wise. I have two pounds of it in the freezer. What can I do other than adding bread crumbs to make it really tender?

              Comment


              • #8
                Try adding butter to the ground beef to add more fat and tenderness. or cook it in bacon grease. The answer to poor flavor or toughness is usually more fat needed.
                Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm getting ground beef with the 1/2 cow that's hanging in the butcher right now... Like was mentioned before, it's only the scrap muscle. The ones that would be too chewy to make into a steak, so they grind it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I bought over 10lbs of grass-fed ground beef on sale the other week and its all fine by me. Goes great in omelets and salads, and has high fat content too.
                    KFCialis - It may be boneless...but you won't be! - Stephen Colbert

                    My Powerlifting journal in preparation for my first meet - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread54184.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      You know how corn-fed ground beef is pretty much all the undesired parts or meat slightly gone bad all ground together? Is it as equally disgusting for grass-fed?
                      I'd say anything without pink slime is less disgusting than "regular" ground beef.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
                        I'd say anything without pink slime is less disgusting than "regular" ground beef.
                        Thanks for the article. That is truly disgusting.
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

                        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Commercial ground beef smells and tastes like dog food. As do their steaks, kind of like day old liver.

                          The grass fed beef we have smells delicious and it does have a distinct different flavor. I don't care what anyone else says!
                          Last edited by shmee; 12-15-2011, 09:11 AM.
                          Start Weight: 265.8
                          Current Weight: 234.4
                          Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Grass-fed is way tastier than grain-fed once you get used to the difference. It can be off-putting at first but now it's superior to my palate.

                            Local grass-fed from my downtown butcher is way better than the stuff I used to buy at TJ's. I think probably because it's not coming from Australia and Argentina first.
                            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

                            My Primal Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by shmee View Post
                              Commercial ground beef smells and tastes like dog food. As do their steaks, kind of like day old liver.

                              The grass fed beef we have smells delicious and it does have a distinct different flavor. I don't care what anyone else says!
                              Agree on both counts - the grass fed beef I get typically smells fresher - or it has relatively little odor, while the "regular" ground beef has a tendency to smell rather nasty. And grass-fed has a nice flavor too. I don't know how much of it is the grass feeding, and how much is the absence of "pink slime" and other nastiness in commercial ground beef - but I do know that when it comes to beef, I try to go for grass-fed, organic beef.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X