Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psoriasis cure through diet?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has cured their psoriasis through the primal diet on here?

I been doing 80% Paleo the last two months. My acne has definitely reduced. But my psoriasis has not changed at all. I do eat grass fed butter as the only dairy source.

I have recently been diagnosed with psoriasis. It took over 1.5 years to even diagnose it! I been to two dermatologists and one naturepath. None of them has able to help me in any way.

So has anyone able to cure this? I have heard people with autoimmune diseases should avoid the nightshades and all forms of dairy in addition to the Paleo diet?
    Last edited by leanzorik; 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM.

Hello! I've had psoriasis since I was a teenager. Sadly, going Paleo seems to keep it from flaring up, but hasn't really helped kick it into remission. I don't do dairy, but do admit I find it hard to avoid nightshades. I know that for me any form of sugar, even palm sugar, honey, red wine etc... are triggers. I try to avoid them when possible!

Comment

hasnt made any difference for me
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I started eating primal after I got a flare up on my face. After about a week the new spot on my face cleared up. Anytime I stray from the diet that area of my face starts to flare up again. I have had a very large patch of psoriasis on my scalp and neck for years and have seen no improvements in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Preppy Paleo View Post
          Hello! I've had psoriasis since I was a teenager. Sadly, going Paleo seems to keep it from flaring up, but hasn't really helped kick it into remission. I don't do dairy, but do admit I find it hard to avoid nightshades. I know that for me any form of sugar, even palm sugar, honey, red wine etc... are triggers. I try to avoid them when possible!
          So its completely clear as long as you avoid sugars?

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine7801 View Post
            I started eating primal after I got a flare up on my face. After about a week the new spot on my face cleared up. Anytime I stray from the diet that area of my face starts to flare up again. I have had a very large patch of psoriasis on my scalp and neck for years and have seen no improvements in that area.
            have you tried eliminating dairy and nightshades?

Comment

I've heard of some success from implementing a low lectin version of primal eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                hasnt made any difference for me
                Did you modify your paleo diet according to the autoimmune protocol? like no dairy and nightshades?

I haven't tried eliminating nightshades and grass fed butter yet.

Comment

Originally posted by raney View Post
                  I've heard of some success from implementing a low lectin version of primal eating.
                  I am going to have to look that up on here. I know there are lectins found in beans and grains? Of which I already avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by leanzorik View Post
                    I am going to have to look that up on here. I know there are lectins found in beans and grains? Of which I already avoid.
                    Check out The Lectin Story, this thread, and also Mark's article on lectins.

I found a quote in a thread here that states:

I do low lectin PB - no eggs, grains, beans, dairy, or nightshades. Works great for inflammation.

Comment

Look up something called coconut oil pulling. Ancient ayervedic technique: Oil Pulling For A Brighter Smile and Better Health by Bruce Fife

The thing is don't go overboard with it and don't do it more than once a day, but it does seem to work and I think I remember it actually mentioned excema anyway, among just about any other ailment or issue one might have.

Comment

I have mild psoriasis on my upper arms; the diet helps somewhat in that the increased oil intake improves your skin, but what really helps is sun.

Comment

Originally posted by extravert View Post
                          Look up something called coconut oil pulling. Ancient ayervedic technique: Oil Pulling For A Brighter Smile and Better Health by Bruce Fife

The thing is don't go overboard with it and don't do it more than once a day, but it does seem to work and I think I remember it actually mentioned excema anyway, among just about any other ailment or issue one might have.

Very interesting read. Its not that hard to do. So I will definitely try it. All you have to do is put coconut oil in your mouth and swish for 15 min or so.

Comment

Pretty much. If you can't stand coconut you can use sesame, just make sure the oil is a very high quality cold pressed yada yada oil. I prefer coconut. The first 30 seconds or so are a but challenging as it feels like you've just put lard into your mouth, (consistency-wise). Absolutely make sure not to swallow it; and don't spit it out into the plumbing - just the trashcan, (pipe clogging). There is a woman who demonstrates on youtube, ;et me see if I can find it. Whiten Your Teeth ~ Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil - YouTube, here's one video, but I wasn't using her oil, I think I was using a dr bronner's from whole foods.

Again, don't go overboard. I really loved the results after a week, once a day, 20 minutes. I sort of stopped after that, (traveling), my sister was going full board, 2-3 times a day for a month and she started to notice some greying on her front teeth, so excess - no good. I'd say maybe a week or two before a dental visit for making the visit less painful, plaque-buildup-wise, or at times when you have a flareup of something your body is fighting, (like RA or psoriarisis, then lay off. Research for yourself of course though!!!!! Hope this helps. The pulling removed plaque that i never thought I'd lose and generally made me feel better while I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by extravert View Post
                              Pretty much. If you can't stand coconut you can use sesame, just make sure the oil is a very high quality cold pressed yada yada oil. I prefer coconut. The first 30 seconds or so are a but challenging as it feels like you've just put lard into your mouth, (consistency-wise). Absolutely make sure not to swallow it; and don't spit it out into the plumbing - just the trashcan, (pipe clogging). There is a woman who demonstrates on youtube, ;et me see if I can find it. Whiten Your Teeth ~ Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil - YouTube, here's one video, but I wasn't using her oil, I think I was using a dr bronner's from whole foods.

Again, don't go overboard. I really loved the results after a week, once a day, 20 minutes. I sort of stopped after that, (traveling), my sister was going full board, 2-3 times a day for a month and she started to notice some greying on her front teeth, so excess - no good. I'd say maybe a week or two before a dental visit for making the visit less painful, plaque-buildup-wise, or at times when you have a flareup of something your body is fighting, (like RA or psoriarisis, then lay off. Research for yourself of course though!!!!! Hope this helps. The pulling removed plaque that i never thought I'd lose and generally made me feel better while I did it.
                              Thanks I will research more on this and of course experiment since I have nothing to loose. I will do this for my psoriasis not for plaque. But its suppose to help with everything anyway. I will only do it once a day in morning or night.

Comment

Working...
                              X