Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Psoriasis cure through diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Psoriasis cure through diet?

    Hey guys,

    I was wondering if anyone has cured their psoriasis through the primal diet on here?

    I been doing 80% Paleo the last two months. My acne has definitely reduced. But my psoriasis has not changed at all. I do eat grass fed butter as the only dairy source.

    I have recently been diagnosed with psoriasis. It took over 1.5 years to even diagnose it! I been to two dermatologists and one naturepath. None of them has able to help me in any way.

    So has anyone able to cure this? I have heard people with autoimmune diseases should avoid the nightshades and all forms of dairy in addition to the Paleo diet?
    Last edited by leanzorik; 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM.

  • #2
    Hello! I've had psoriasis since I was a teenager. Sadly, going Paleo seems to keep it from flaring up, but hasn't really helped kick it into remission. I don't do dairy, but do admit I find it hard to avoid nightshades. I know that for me any form of sugar, even palm sugar, honey, red wine etc... are triggers. I try to avoid them when possible!

    Comment


    • #3
      hasnt made any difference for me
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

      Comment


      • #4
        I started eating primal after I got a flare up on my face. After about a week the new spot on my face cleared up. Anytime I stray from the diet that area of my face starts to flare up again. I have had a very large patch of psoriasis on my scalp and neck for years and have seen no improvements in that area.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Preppy Paleo View Post
          Hello! I've had psoriasis since I was a teenager. Sadly, going Paleo seems to keep it from flaring up, but hasn't really helped kick it into remission. I don't do dairy, but do admit I find it hard to avoid nightshades. I know that for me any form of sugar, even palm sugar, honey, red wine etc... are triggers. I try to avoid them when possible!
          So its completely clear as long as you avoid sugars?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sunshine7801 View Post
            I started eating primal after I got a flare up on my face. After about a week the new spot on my face cleared up. Anytime I stray from the diet that area of my face starts to flare up again. I have had a very large patch of psoriasis on my scalp and neck for years and have seen no improvements in that area.
            have you tried eliminating dairy and nightshades?

            Comment


            • #7
              I've heard of some success from implementing a low lectin version of primal eating.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
                hasnt made any difference for me
                Did you modify your paleo diet according to the autoimmune protocol? like no dairy and nightshades?

                I haven't tried eliminating nightshades and grass fed butter yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by raney View Post
                  I've heard of some success from implementing a low lectin version of primal eating.
                  I am going to have to look that up on here. I know there are lectins found in beans and grains? Of which I already avoid.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by leanzorik View Post
                    I am going to have to look that up on here. I know there are lectins found in beans and grains? Of which I already avoid.
                    Check out The Lectin Story, this thread, and also Mark's article on lectins.

                    I found a quote in a thread here that states:

                    I do low lectin PB - no eggs, grains, beans, dairy, or nightshades. Works great for inflammation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Look up something called coconut oil pulling. Ancient ayervedic technique: Oil Pulling For A Brighter Smile and Better Health by Bruce Fife

                      The thing is don't go overboard with it and don't do it more than once a day, but it does seem to work and I think I remember it actually mentioned excema anyway, among just about any other ailment or issue one might have.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have mild psoriasis on my upper arms; the diet helps somewhat in that the increased oil intake improves your skin, but what really helps is sun.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by extravert View Post
                          Look up something called coconut oil pulling. Ancient ayervedic technique: Oil Pulling For A Brighter Smile and Better Health by Bruce Fife

                          The thing is don't go overboard with it and don't do it more than once a day, but it does seem to work and I think I remember it actually mentioned excema anyway, among just about any other ailment or issue one might have.

                          Very interesting read. Its not that hard to do. So I will definitely try it. All you have to do is put coconut oil in your mouth and swish for 15 min or so.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pretty much. If you can't stand coconut you can use sesame, just make sure the oil is a very high quality cold pressed yada yada oil. I prefer coconut. The first 30 seconds or so are a but challenging as it feels like you've just put lard into your mouth, (consistency-wise). Absolutely make sure not to swallow it; and don't spit it out into the plumbing - just the trashcan, (pipe clogging). There is a woman who demonstrates on youtube, ;et me see if I can find it. Whiten Your Teeth ~ Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil - YouTube, here's one video, but I wasn't using her oil, I think I was using a dr bronner's from whole foods.

                            Again, don't go overboard. I really loved the results after a week, once a day, 20 minutes. I sort of stopped after that, (traveling), my sister was going full board, 2-3 times a day for a month and she started to notice some greying on her front teeth, so excess - no good. I'd say maybe a week or two before a dental visit for making the visit less painful, plaque-buildup-wise, or at times when you have a flareup of something your body is fighting, (like RA or psoriarisis, then lay off. Research for yourself of course though!!!!! Hope this helps. The pulling removed plaque that i never thought I'd lose and generally made me feel better while I did it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by extravert View Post
                              Pretty much. If you can't stand coconut you can use sesame, just make sure the oil is a very high quality cold pressed yada yada oil. I prefer coconut. The first 30 seconds or so are a but challenging as it feels like you've just put lard into your mouth, (consistency-wise). Absolutely make sure not to swallow it; and don't spit it out into the plumbing - just the trashcan, (pipe clogging). There is a woman who demonstrates on youtube, ;et me see if I can find it. Whiten Your Teeth ~ Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil - YouTube, here's one video, but I wasn't using her oil, I think I was using a dr bronner's from whole foods.

                              Again, don't go overboard. I really loved the results after a week, once a day, 20 minutes. I sort of stopped after that, (traveling), my sister was going full board, 2-3 times a day for a month and she started to notice some greying on her front teeth, so excess - no good. I'd say maybe a week or two before a dental visit for making the visit less painful, plaque-buildup-wise, or at times when you have a flareup of something your body is fighting, (like RA or psoriarisis, then lay off. Research for yourself of course though!!!!! Hope this helps. The pulling removed plaque that i never thought I'd lose and generally made me feel better while I did it.
                              Thanks I will research more on this and of course experiment since I have nothing to loose. I will do this for my psoriasis not for plaque. But its suppose to help with everything anyway. I will only do it once a day in morning or night.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X