Post primal I am INJURY PRONE. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post primal I am INJURY PRONE. Help!

Hey everyone, I have a question. Could primal diet be the cause of my recent joint and ligament issues? I'm 22 and a collegiate athlete who started the primal diet early Jan, 2011. Since then, I have torn my ACL, sprained my wrist, and sprained my ankle. I have never had problems with my joints in the past. Now they are fragile. My ACL is better now. I tore it Feb, 2011. Although it is better, it took longer for me to return to action than others I know. Recently, in the first week of Oct. I sprained my ankle and sprained my wrist. I know these are common injuries, but I'm still recovering from them. In the past it would take no time for me to return to action. Post primal, my injuries are healing at a snails pace. I have seen good results in every other aspect of my life, but unless you guys give me a solution, I'm switching my diet back to conventional ways.
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

Are you actually Primal? Are you eating the WHOLE animal, offal and bones? Liver and spinach get you almost there, but there are many elements dietary science has yet to define, like the factor in liver that prevents exhaustion. I have only gotten stronger since going primal. What, may I ask, are you actually eating?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm not eating the whole animal. I'm eating lots of fatty meat such as beef and pork. I eat tons of eggs, tons of veggies, low on fruit, nuts such as sunflower seeds or almonds for snacks. I drink strictly water or milk.
      Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

Comment

How often do you eat? Do you eat more on Primal than you did previously?

Comment

You may be lacking some essential building blocks in that case. Talk to a local butcher who works with grass-fed beef/animals and see if he makes "pet burgers". These are basically organ sausage comprised of kidney, sweetbread and other organs that will make sure your body has all the minerals and vitamins it needs. Aside from the pet burgers, just getting more organ meat of any kind is a good first step. Liver would be the go-to, but also kidneys, bone broth and others will be of great benefit. Fish will also help you! Check your current diet in Fitday to see if you're getting all your B vitamins.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Would a multi-vitamin cover all that? I supplement with multi-vitamins and fish oil. I eat around 5 times a day or whenever I get hungry.

Comment

No. Multivitamins can be thrown into the toilet. It's where they go anyway. Without the natural counterparts of a given vitamin as found in food, they are difficult to absorb. Nature's multivitamin that your body can use is cooked greens and organ meats.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Do what you deem necessary, but switching to a diet lower in overall nutrition (vitamins, minerals, etc) in hopes that it will help your body heal is just funny sounding, isn't it?

Could these injuries simply be of a higher degree (ie: you got hit harder, etc) or the fact that you were previously similarly injured is making your body take longer to recover this time around? I'm not sure, just throwing ideas.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

It does sound retarded to switch back to a less nutrient dense diet. Good point. I had something going for me before I went primal. I'm thinking that it might have been more carbs. Could that have contributed to me healing faster? Anyways my sport hasn't changed any, just the amount of injuries I have. I'll start eating more organ meets fo sho. Thanks so far

Comment

Originally posted by cruncan View Post
                    It does sound retarded to switch back to a less nutrient dense diet. Good point. I had something going for me before I went primal. I'm thinking that it might have been more carbs. Could that have contributed to me healing faster? Anyways my sport hasn't changed any, just the amount of injuries I have. I'll start eating more organ meets fo sho. Thanks so far
                    There's quite a few threads here regarding "safe starches" ie: starch sources that are not toxic, mostly potatoes, sweet potatoes/yams, squash, fruits, etc... just because you're avoiding grains/legumes (as you should) doesn't mean that as an athlete you need to walk around in glycogen-depleted state.

Alternatively, visit AnthonyColpo though there's some hate for him around here (since he likes to call us "paleotards" despite his diet basically being a paleo/primal one) where there's plenty of info about eating higher carb while still getting nutrition, and while still avoiding sources of anti-nutrients.

I'm not sure if higher carb should lead to faster healing time at all, but athletes are better off having more carb than the rest of us.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Ok ill do that. Thanks Iniquity

Comment

+1 to suggestions of bone broth and liver etc. The collagen in the bone broth will help heal you connective tissues.
                        Likewise, when eating chicken have a good munch on the bones, especially the cartilage on the ends. It's a little odd to begin with, but quite fun to crunch in front of other folks

And don't forget, sleep is the best healer.

Could it also be that as you've seen such improvements elsewhere in your life, you're training / competing harder and or the injuries are just coincidence.
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Haha ok.. I've never made bone broth, but I'm ready to try it out.

Comment

Also, if you can find marrow bones, roast them in the oven and scoop the marrow out with a spoon. It tastes like beef flavored butter.

Comment

Ooooooo..Sounds gooood. I just bought some sweet potatoes, chicken liver, pork liver, pork kidney, and bones. Going to try a few recipes.

Comment

Working...
                              X