Pumpkin seeds high in omega-6?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin seeds high in omega-6?!

You gotta love nuts and seeds, but the carbs add up, in my research to rank by carb/sugar content, I noticed the pumpkin seeds have a ridiculous omega-6mega-3 ratio.

I'm going with nutritiondata.com as my most trusted source with a ratio of 100:1 !!!

I've looked for other sources and mostly found them in agreement (with a few repeats of the same data that shows it more like 2:1).

I know both in book and on this website Mark has suggested pumpkin seeds as a snack.

Anyone have better information on the omega ratio and PUFA content of pumpkin seeds?

Seeds and nuts are all high in omega-6 and generally have miniscule amounts of omega-3. It's somewhat misleading to look at the ratio, because if omega-3 is negligible, then almost any amount of omega-6 will make a very high ratio. Instead look at the absolute amount of omega-6 and try to balance it with omega-3 (fish oil pills).

I personally try to stay pretty light on nuts and seeds because the omega-6 can add up pretty fast.

Comment

Interesting. Good to know. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks, I hadn't compared the amount of omega-6 in every nut. I know that walnuts have a pretty good ratio, but I hadn't listed out all of them.

I love nuts, so giving them up isn't an option, but my father works at an omega-3 supplement company, so I can balance ANY amount of omega-6.

Comment

Watch out -- you don't really want too much polyunsaturated fat, even if it's omega-3. It's better to get your omega-6 number lower and then balance it with omega-3 rather than keeping both sky high. They're both easily oxidized and make up the majority of fats found in atherosclerotic plaques.

It's important to make sure your total omega-6 consumption is less than 4% of total calories, and preferably 1% or so, if you want to be optimally free from heart disease.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...rt-diseas.html

Comment

Working...
          X