Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything to the A2 milk thing?

Hi everyone;

I recently gave up the tiny remaining bits of dairy in my diet and feel significantly better for it. I had a bad dairy allergy as a child, so I guess my body just doesn't like dairy associated proteins. For me it causes joint stiffness and very bad fatigue.

I have read many times that some people that don't do well on dairy products can handle dairy from A2 animals.

Is there anyone here who actually had success switching to an A2 source of dairy and then feeling fine eating it? I would love the add heavy cream back in to my diet - it is just sooo fricking good

Thanks!!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Raw is best. And yes, stay away from A1, Holstein cows, the black and white ones.

I'm not lactose intolerant, had a test done. Switched to raw goats milk (which is A2 casein) and still experienced bloating and discomfort. I feel fine on small amounts though...but ever since cutting out dairy completely, I've lost the extra bit of flab around my waist, total of 8 lbs....like I've lost an extra set of skin.

Comment

What is A1 and A2 dairy?
      "The mountains are calling and I must go."
      --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
      --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
      --Hyperlithic

Comment

It is a change in one amino acid in beta-casein the main protein in milk. There are a lot of problems associated with A1 which is found in most Western Cows milk.
        Goat milk tends to contain A2 a much healthier option.
        Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
        PS
        Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
          What is A1 and A2 dairy?
          Milk is composed of several types of proteins. A major one is casein. Apparently old world cows contained a type of casein protein that was known as A2. At some point there was a mutation in this protein which is referred to now as A1. I had read that A1 casein is more inflammatory and not healthy.

I have NO idea if any of this is true. I'm just looking for a way to have heavy cream in my diet!
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
            It is a change in one amino acid in beta-casein the main protein in milk. There are a lot of problems associated with A1 which is found in most Western Cows milk.
            Goat milk tends to contain A2 a much healthier option.
            I try so very hard, but I have accepted that I simply HATE goats milk. Plus what I really want is cream, which you can't get from goat milk easily anyway. Thanks though!!

Comment

I've been doing a little searching and I am not sure I can find A2 milk here anyway.

I did try making bullet-proof coffee today with homemade toasted ghee and it was delicious. I'll try it next with tea. Maybe I can learn to live with out cream

Does sheeps milk have cream?

Comment

Why do you worry about A1 A2 in cream? Cream has negligible protein of any kind. Its just fat.
                www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
                  Why do you worry about A1 A2 in cream? Cream has negligible protein of any kind. Its just fat.
                  From an immunoolgic viewpoint, that's not true - while it does contain about ten times less protein than milk, it is still more than enough to trigger inflammation in sensitive people. Even butter has plenty of protein left in it to react to.

I gave up all dairy except cream and butter when I went primal. I felt better, but not great. It wasn't until I was encouraged to get rid of the cream and butter that I really felt an increase in energy. I make my own grass-fed ghee now and there really is a lot of milk solids/protein that i strain out.

Comment

I have found that for me raw dairy products actually have an anti-inflammatory effect. My understanding is that it depends on if your allergy is to the lactose or to the casein (or both). If it is just the lactose, raw dairy works great. If it is the casein, it may still give you problems.

Maybe worth a try if you can't find A2.

Several other people chimed in with anti-inflammatory experiences with raw dairy on this thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42037.html
                    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-11-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      I have found that for me raw dairy products actually have an anti-inflammatory effect. My understanding is that it depends on if your allergy is to the lactose or to the casein (or both). If it is just the lactose, raw dairy works great. If it is the casein, it may still give you problems.

Maybe worth a try if you can't find A2.

Several other people chimed in with anti-inflammatory experiences with raw dairy on this thread.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread42037.html
                      Raw cream tastes like heaven. I think for me it is the casein, but maybe I'll give it a try again - it's been years since I've had it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                        What is A1 and A2 dairy?
                        Devil in the Milk Part 1 | Underground Wellness

Devil in the Milk Part 2 | Underground Wellness

The Milk-Gluten Connection (Devil in the Milk #3) | Underground Wellness

Comment

They sell A2 products in the supermarkets here. I think I'm one of those that struggle with milk regardless, so I quit dairy 2 days ago. Feeling okay, but like you I miss cream. And cheese.

Comment

I used to drink milk in my coffee every day. Every day I would wake up throwing up (like morning sickness) many drs visits later I discovered it was the milk. The minute I switched to black coffee it went away. When A2 milk came on the market I tried introducing that and it was fine. No vomitting, no nausea no matter how much I drink. I don't really drink milk now but I always buy A2 for the children.
                            Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
                            CW - 60kg / 132lb
                            GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

Anyone know where to get A2 milk in Edmonton Canada?
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X