Raw carrots make me nauseous?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw carrots make me nauseous?

Whenever I eat as much as one raw carrot's worth of food, I get nauseated. This kind of happens when I eat apples raw, as well, and the nausea occurs whether or not I eat other foods in the same meal. Is there a reason for this?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

My dog would consistently throw up if she ate carrots. Don't eat carrots if they bother you. Pretty simple! I have not heard of anyone being sensitive to carrots, but so what? Only you know how you feel if you eat them.

Comment

Aw, so sad. I really do love the crunch of carrots. I guess I'll have to make a batch of roasted ones then if I can't prevent the nausea.

Comment

I'm not sure but raw carrots give be the hiccups every single time!
        Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
        CW - 60kg / 132lb
        GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

When I was breastfeeding my son he would spit up if I ate raw carrots or drank milk.

Comment

I have the same problem. It got much worse after I turned 40. Nausea and a lot of gas from only 3-4 raw baby carrots.
            2011 - The year I went Primal
            Start weight: 198 / Waist: 32"
            CW: 158.5 / Waist: 28"
            GW: 145-ish
            Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

Comment

I've never had this problem until recently (and I'm 22...). Two years ago I would eat 1/2 pound raw carrots as a snack in one sitting for a week straight, but not have problems, and now I am? I hope this is my body responding correctly to fiber it originally couldn't handle xD

Comment

Carrots are ok for me but lettuce make my stomach feel off and makes me burp... a lot. So yeah. Weird veggie tolerances!

Comment

I'm thinking it has to do with the fiber? And not chewing enough? I also get like this if I consume extremely fibrous foods in large quantities, such as fresh coconut, apples, and celery. But carrots are by far the worst for some reason.

Comment

I think I heard somewhere that one reason this can happen is insufficient stomach acid. I have a friend who would always get an upset tummy eating lettuce, and her nutritionist had her start HCl supplementation.

Comment

Did you try eating carrots with fermented dairy product, like yogurt? If cabbage is Okay, they are a great crunchy snack.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Nah, I didn't try. Doesn't that make your stomach more basic, which exacerbates the problem?

I'm okay not eating the snack haha. I was just munching right before I cooked (which I shouldn't have been anyway...) but I just found it odd that I wanted to barf shortly after dinner.

Comment

Carrots is one of the vegetables they suggest eating with fat, so I was wondering if it could be easier on your system that way.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I cannot eat them raw either. I get really, really bloated with stomach pains. But cooked they are fine.

Did you see Mark's post yesterday (Weekend Link Love)? There was an article that talked about how raw foods are harder to digest / harder for the body to absorb their nutrients. Makes me wonder if raw carrots are just too hard for some people to digest??? Especially for people - like me - who tend to have digestive issues anyway?

Comment

Working...
                            X