Confused!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused!!

I am so confused... last week I posted a question about gaining weight on PB. I am a 42 y.o. female , 5 ft 5 in and weigh 134 lbs (132 lbs last week- got so frustrated that I started eating bad foods again). I asked what I could be doing wrong and posted what I have been eating. Many of the comments suggested I was eating too much fat and I should count calories. I thought that the whole premise behind PB was to NOT count calories, increase your fat, eliminate grains, sugars. So now, I don't know how, what to eat.....help please.

Until you're a fat burner, you still need to count calories. Once your body has adapted, you won't need to track.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

How long were you eating PB? What were you eating, exactly?

As an aside, 2lbs over a week is nothing. It could be anything, water weight etc. Weight fluctuates weekly. Throw out your scales too, they are now redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by tradawg View Post
        Until you're a fat burner, you still need to count calories. Once your body has adapted, you won't need to track.
        This is not necessarily true. It depends on a lot of variable such as how much extra fat you are carrying. I was in continual ketosis and still going nowhere on weight loss. With calorie restriction added, I have lost 35 pounds and am now maintaining without counting. The point at which you can ease up and quit counting varies from person to person.

my story is here, YMMV of course. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

Comment

Is it possible that, at that height/weight, you're close enough to "correct" that a food log might be appropriate?

Comment

The whole concept of eating lots of fat and not tracking calories has to do with fat being satiating and by default you will likely be eating less calories and losing weight. If you don't eat less calories than your maintenance then you won't lose weight...its as simple as that. There is no metabolic advantage of low carb or high fat.

Comment

counting calories helps depending on the degree of your metabolic dysfunction. in the primal blueprint (the book), mark's chapter on weight loss tells you to count calories.

but what else are you eating? what's the fruit intake like?

Comment

Originally posted by tradawg View Post
                Um, what? Er.... I mean.... wtf?

Once a person goes low carb - and their body adapts to fat buning - they don't need to regulate their energy balance to maintain or lose fat/weight?

You don't need to answer.

Answer this: why are their so many idoits on this forum?

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Comment

^^ lol

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                    The whole concept of eating lots of fat and not tracking calories has to do with fat being satiating and by default you will likely be eating less calories and losing weight. If you don't eat less calories than your maintenance then you won't lose weight...its as simple as that. There is no metabolic advantage of low carb or high fat.
                    This is gold folks. Read it, understand it, live it, and thrive!

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                      ^^ lol
                      I am loling less and less around here - too many preaching bullshit to people who deserve better advice. I read this forum everyday in hopes of finding a gem here and there to help me in my quest to supreme fitness and health.... I can't believe that crap I read here. I have to admit that you have posted little I agree with - but the post I quoted is sublime.

Comment

Are you at a weight that actually is healthy?

I have no idea what your situation is, but I'm only an inch taller and would be at my perfect weight right around 140. As it is, I hover around 145, probably because of chronic cardio and a taquito addiction. When I was in my 20, around 130 was normal for me, but now that I'm in my 40s, it's just not healthy or reasonable anymore (yes, I'm very active).

I'm not trying to argue about your weight, just wondering if it's so hard to lose because you're right about where you need to be.
                        Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by ksturg222 View Post
                          I am so confused... last week I posted a question about gaining weight on PB. I am a 42 y.o. female , 5 ft 5 in and weigh 134 lbs (132 lbs last week- got so frustrated that I started eating bad foods again). I asked what I could be doing wrong and posted what I have been eating. Many of the comments suggested I was eating too much fat and I should count calories. I thought that the whole premise behind PB was to NOT count calories, increase your fat, eliminate grains, sugars. So now, I don't know how, what to eat.....help please.
                          Are you hungry all the time? When I started on a high fat, low carb diet I was shocked at what it felt like to not be hungry all the time. I didn't eat "as much fat as I want". Fat isn't nutritional anti-matter. I just ate way more fat than my mother ever would have let me when I was growing up.

I really don't agree with the advice around here to eat a lot of fruit and potatoes. People certainly should not snack and if they really must have a snack, nuts and cheese are not the best things to reach for. Neither is wine or chocolate.

Simple meals of meat or eggs and vegetables with some butter on top or an avocado on the side gets the job done. If you can't go between meals without getting hungry, you need more fat at the meal. When you can go from (normal-sized) breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner with nothing in between, you'll be golden.

You may not have more fat to lose, so you may simply end up not having to fight your hunger to maintain your figure anymore. If you want to go thinner than your natural homeostasis, you might have to try more drastic measures.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Voyageur View Post
                            Um, what? Er.... I mean.... wtf?

Once a person goes low carb - and their body adapts to fat buning - they don't need to regulate their energy balance to maintain or lose fat/weight?

You don't need to answer.

Answer this: why are their so many idoits on this forum?

If a person is healthy, good digestion, eating real foods, etc., then he/she won't need to count calories, because the body will regulate itself. You'll know when to eat and when to stop eating, and therefore won't need to count/track calories. It's not a difficult concept.

By the way, this is how you spell 'burner' and 'idiot'. I think you just answered your own question.
                            $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

This whole "Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not" "Intuitive eating" meme is the single most UNhelpful piece of advice I ever got on MDA. I had to call bs on this one before I could make any progress in weight loss.

Now that I am at my healthy goal weight, intuitive eating works beautifully as a maintenance plan. But to get here from there (a 35lb loss), I needed the external structure of portion control.

"Intuitive eating" is simplistic and does not address everyone's reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X