BulletProof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rebelpapa View Post
    This sounds delicious. I would love a better guide to getting decent coffee beans. Or at least some decent beans I can easily order.
    Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
    Recommendations for something on Amazon would be great!
    the main website for the bulletproof coffee has links and a description of what types of coffee to look for.

Comment

• In doing a little research, I'm finding that all my my favorite coffees seem to be wet-processed - Yirghacheffe, Mysore, Tanzania Peaberry...

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
        Anyway, back to my "fasting" (if you can call it that, drinking 200 cals of
        FAT in the morning) regimen of 7pm to 3pm...... we'll see if this makes
        it any easier, or makes me starving.
        Just curious: why is "FAT" in all caps?

And yeah, it should make it easier. Fat doesn't make you hungry.

Comment

Nan, I don't whip mine up in a blender or anything because I get up too early
          and don't want to wake up my kids, so I just bring a little spoon with my
          concoction and stir it a little before each sip to get the oil slick mixed in.
          You should get a little hand held milk frother. I've used it a couple times, and while it takes a little longer I get a similar result to the whipping action in the big blender. Extremely quiet as well and inexpensive.

Also of note, when its mechanically blended with GRASS fed butter, you will get the color I believe you are looking for. I think you're going to see a huge difference from the real recipe and the wierd one that you made up.

Comment

Well, I'm trying the Training Wheels Version today:

7g Unsalted Mutant Cow Butter (thanks croak)
            7g Coconut Oil
            10g Heavy Cream
            70g 2% Milk (get off me, I need it to be a certain COLOR for now!)

Anyway, so far so good - taking it easy with my first one cuz I have to work
            in my son's classroom today and I really don't want to have to rush to the
            bathroom the entire time with "The Works" from all the fat that my body
            is SO not used to.

I'll slowly be weaning myself off the milk and cream by next week.

Nan, I don't whip mine up in a blender or anything because I get up too early
            and don't want to wake up my kids, so I just bring a little spoon with my
            concoction and stir it a little before each sip to get the oil slick mixed in.

If it cools too much and I have a blob on top, I just put it in the microwave
            for a little bit and then stir again.

Anyway, back to my "fasting" (if you can call it that, drinking 200 cals of
            FAT in the morning) regimen of 7pm to 3pm...... we'll see if this makes
            it any easier, or makes me starving.

Yeah! Experiments!

Julie

Julie - coconut milk also makes it very white.

I really recommend making it with all ingredients at room temp in several-day batch and then storing in fridge. I am now on my third batch, this time using clarified Kerrygold in equal amounts with Trader Joes coconut oil and a large egg. If the egg is cold it will make little lumps of the two fats, which will melt in the coffee but will appear as fat droplets. If you use the egg the lecithin will act as an emulsifier and you will have a very stable product.

I like the way the butter fat works with the coconut. I cannot taste the egg at all. To me it is essential for texture and consistency.

-- Liane

Comment

• Originally posted by bulletproofexec View Post
              And to French Press drinkers, check out the Hario V60 for about $12. As simple as a french press, but without the LDL-raising cafestol and kahweol.
              Wait, what? French presses give you heart disease now, too?
              ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Originally posted by vontrapp
              CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
              Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Comment

• Just tried the recipe. It's quite good and reminds me of a much better version of a cafe latte. I still like some sweetner in my my coffee so it will take a little to have this without. I'm curious how it makes me feel through the day. Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by elainevdw View Post
                  Wait, what? French presses give you heart disease now, too?
                  Depends how hard you throw 'em.

Comment

• Aw man. And me giving up dairy for the month....

Come February 2, this coffee is MINE.
                    Steph
                    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• I didn't feel satisfied for as long as I'd hoped. I was hungry earlier than usual and I tend to only have black coffee with 1 sugar in the mornings until after noon time. Today I was hungry around noon. I followed the recipe on the website, but I substituted coconut oil instead of mct oil. The concoction did make me have to go to the bathroom within an hour after drinking (and 3 times). I'm chalking that up to my body trying to get used to that much fat in a single go.

I'm tempted to try the beans from the website, but a single 12oz with shipping is $25 and that's ridiculous. If you order 5lbs the price comes down to a little more than $17/lb which is much more reasonable. I would take me a month or more to go through that much coffee though. Any thoughts on how long coffee can be in the freezer? Or does putting this coffee in the freezer defeat the purpose of getting it from bulletproofexec?

Comment

• Originally posted by rebelpapa View Post
                        I didn't feel satisfied for as long as I'd hoped. I was hungry earlier than usual and I tend to only have black coffee with 1 sugar in the mornings until after noon time. Today I was hungry around noon. I followed the recipe on the website, but I substituted coconut oil instead of mct oil. The concoction did make me have to go to the bathroom within an hour after drinking (and 3 times). I'm chalking that up to my body trying to get used to that much fat in a single go.

I'm tempted to try the beans from the website, but a single 12oz with shipping is $25 and that's ridiculous. If you order 5lbs the price comes down to a little more than $17/lb which is much more reasonable. I would take me a month or more to go through that much coffee though. Any thoughts on how long coffee can be in the freezer? Or does putting this coffee in the freezer defeat the purpose of getting it from bulletproofexec?
                        According to coffee purists, you shouldn't freeze coffee. Here is an explanation Why You Should Never Freeze Coffee (and Other Freshness Tips)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                          According to coffee purists, you shouldn't freeze coffee. Here is an explanation Why You Should Never Freeze Coffee (and Other Freshness Tips)
                          Thanks for the link. I'll read it. I also sent a twitter message to Dave Asprey asking his opinion. He says freezing is fine as long as you vacuum seal the coffee.

Ok, read the article. It doesn't suggest freezing is the worst thing. My plan is to buy the 5lb bag and then vacuum seal it in 1/2lb-1lb increments. Then I can take out a vacuum sealed bag to use at a time and I won't be exposing the coffee over and over again. Now I just need a vacuum sealer and a decent storage container for the pantry.

Also, I made the bulletproof coffee again today, but skipped my normal 1 sugar. I think it tastes fine and can see myself getting used to this rather quickly. Will see how it treats my bathroom visits

Comment

• Hey everyone, I just made my first bulletproof coffee with Coconut Oil... It was brilliant. I can't believe I have gone so long as a self-proclaimed coffee addict/connoisseur without doing this.

Anyone else just use coconut oil for their bulletproof drink?

Comment

• I use coconut oil instead of MCT, and ghee instead of butter.

Comment

• Well I am a UK resident and MCT oil is hard to come by, and I am doing the whole30 as of today so I needed to forgo the dairy for now. Cant wait to reintroduce dairy and have some butter/ghee. Have you tried it without the dairy?

Comment

Working...
                                X