No announcement yet.

BulletProof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be the coconut. I tried making a dessert with a small can of coconut milk, just the stuff that floats to the top and not the liquid, and half way through I felt sick. Ew. I couldn't finish it. I know if I tried to finish it I'd be half-barfing it up all night. As it is, I'm fighting nausea right now. We're talking maybe less than 1/4 cup of the stuff. I just don't get the allure. When I've made the bulletproof coffee I've only added about a teaspoon of coconut oil at most. Much prefer the butter. I can eat butter by itself no problemo.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Worked for me, but I dropped the coffee and just drink warm coconut milk now. 765 calories, about 80 grams of fat every morning for breakfast. And, yes, the fat has continued to melt off anytime I let my self stay in ketosis for more than a day. I was 175 a few weeks ago, now I'm 170 and have not lost any strength or muscle mass, just fat.
      Knifegill, do you have any protein with breakfast or just the coconut milk?
      Last edited by Adrianag; 12-19-2011, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I tried this for the first time yesterday and am officially obsessed. SO GOOD. An instant pre-morning-workout classic.

Comment

My wife and I started doing this 3 weeks ago. It's so freakin good. We work out at a crossfit in the early morning and generally just east some eggs with black coffee before hand. Switching to the bulletproof coffee has really improved my gym experience. I'm more awake and focused. My additional strength training has really improved as well.

The additional fat has really helped out my regularity as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            As it is, I'm fighting nausea right now. We're talking maybe less than 1/4 cup of the stuff. I just don't get the allure. When I've made the bulletproof coffee I've only added about a teaspoon of coconut oil at most. Much prefer the butter. I can eat butter by itself no problemo.
            There are just some things that make people sick. I know someone who gets sick from raw onions. For saturated fat, maybe you can stick with avocados and salmon? Bulletproof coffee is fine with just butter. Maybe this weekend I'll make my own ghee and try it with that.

By they way, I DID try Bulletproof hot chocolate, and it seems to work. A little coconut oil (optional), 2 tbl butter, 1 tsp cocoa powder, and I added a little stevia. It's quite good, and I avoid the sugary milk of hot cocoa (still miss the little marshmallows...)
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

While butter instead of coconut oil solves the nausea problem for me, I'm just not as jazzed on this beverage as others are. Its ok, but its just ok. I cant see myself making this part of a routine or even spending that much on butter consumptiom to be honest. Still a brewed cup of strong black does it for me as much as this does.

Comment

I have another question..... what's the beef about butter when butter is just heavy cream shaken up until it congeals?

I did it.... when I was a kid.... made my own sloppy cube -o- butter without salt.

So why use the butter when you can just use the heavy cream if it's the same thing, just a different consistency?

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                  I have another question..... what's the beef about butter when butter is just heavy cream shaken up until it congeals?

I did it.... when I was a kid.... made my own sloppy cube -o- butter without salt.

So why use the butter when you can just use the heavy cream if it's the same thing, just a different consistency?
                  I love this recipe because I'm avoiding dairy. I can use ghee which has all milk solids removed and still have a lovely rich cup of tea or coffee....makes me happy
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

That's the amazing thing. It IS the same, pretty much. This morning I went to make my usual coffee with cream but the cream had gone sour. Butter coffee to the rescue! Butter doesn't seem to go bad like cream.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Butter and cream are not the same. When you churn, the cream separates into solid fat and liquid buttermilk/whey. The trick is to separate the fat and the liquid completely. First, you churn until it's mostly separated. Then you give the whey liquid to the pigs. Then you wash your sloppy cube -o- fat until the rest of the whey comes out and the fat becomes a solid block of butter.

(Yes, I read the "Little House" books...)
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I've been doing bullet proof coffee with butter and coconut oil for about 10 days now. Now I'm just trying to figure out if it is helping me or hindering me. Historically, I have always fasted at breakfast. I eat maybe 3 breakfasts a year. Now, however, with the bulletproof coffee, I'm getting a lot more calories in the morning. Not sure if this is going to help, or cause me to gain wait again.

--Me

Comment

Thanks peeps!

Comment

Originally posted by adamm View Post
                            I've been doing bullet proof coffee with butter and coconut oil for about 10 days now. Now I'm just trying to figure out if it is helping me or hindering me. Historically, I have always fasted at breakfast. I eat maybe 3 breakfasts a year. Now, however, with the bulletproof coffee, I'm getting a lot more calories in the morning. Not sure if this is going to help, or cause me to gain wait again.

--Me
                            My experience so far is that my appetite has been completely shut down by this stuff. A little too much, I think. I skipped it the last two days to try to get some actual food in me. But I do like it and will probably have it a couple times a week. I'm not sure how it is affecting my weight - I don't have a scale I get weighed once a month at the hospital so I'll see if anything is changing there.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Re buttermaking: I should add that the whey liquid that separates out is what contains all the milk proteins and most of the milk sugars. That's why people can who can't tolerate dairy can tolerate butter. Instead of throwing out the whey, I think they make whey protein from it now.

My next experiment is to try Bulletproof tea (or bulletproof hot cocoa) as a drink with lunch. Maybe it will fill me up enough that I can do an evening IF.

Comment

Ok, I'm drinking a cup right now. Made it with a stick blender and 2 TBS of butter into 2 mugs worth of coffee. It looks and tastes awesome, but then I read the recipe in the link on first page. That guy says to use 80 grams of butter, which is like 6 or 7 TBS! And, a couple TSB's of MCT oil (which i don't have).

Has anyone tried it with 80 grams of butter/

Comment

Working...
                                X