No announcement yet.

BulletProof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I just made my first one this morning, only had salted butter in the fridge so I made it with coconut oil instead. What can I say except this is one great way to drink my favourite beverage and you know what else? No caffeine spike. I also cant imagine drinking more than one of these a day so its an easy way to cut down coffee consumption if thats a concern. i can wait to try a hot chocolate this way too. Its a winner!

Comment

I too have become addi.... started enjoying this form of coffee, since reading this thread a week ago. I have been using pastured butter and coconut oil. Picked up some MCT oil today to give that a try. Also heard the Bulletproof podcast on the mental boost/alzheimer's "cure" from MCT oil, so I'll be interested to see if there is a noticeable clarity or if I start inventing time machines or writing novels. I'm not crazy about much of the stuff on Bulletproof Executive, but at least I can come away from it with a slamming good cup of coffee.

Comment

Any crossfitters here drinking bulletproof coffee? I workout in the a.m. and usually eat breakfast right after (~10 a.m.). Would drinking this with about 4 T butter after a workout be a recipe for disaster seeing as its virtually 0 carbs? My goals are weight loss primarily and strength gains if possible. The two can be conflicting though :/. Seeing as I'm doing crossfit for weight loss, I'm not too concerned about lacking the post-workout carbsrotein ratio for muscle gains. I'm more concerned about having no energy. While I've been paleo/primal for 4 months, I find that after intense workouts I still need some carb (albeit relatively small amounts) to maintain energy. Any advice?

Comment

Oh, wow. that was supposed to be a colon, not a smiley.

Comment

Just tried this again this morning to check....yep...wow you sure this thing is legal?

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
              Just tried this again this morning to check....yep...wow you sure this thing is legal?
              Shhhh...I would hate for the government food Nazis to become aware of it.

Comment

Worked for me, but I dropped the coffee and just drink warm coconut milk now. 765 calories, about 80 grams of fat every morning for breakfast. And, yes, the fat has continued to melt off anytime I let my self stay in ketosis for more than a day. I was 175 a few weeks ago, now I'm 170 and have not lost any strength or muscle mass, just fat.

Does it really get done with that and say "okay
                fat cells! we've been burning this lovely dietary fat from our stomach for 6 hours, now it's time to move
                to the fat on our ass!" Me thinks not.
                Heck yes, it does! Once your body is confident it's getting enough fat and skilled enough to use its own, it will! This works best, though, when you are doing very low carb as in -50grams a day. Otherwise you won't burn much body fat, you'll just break even. Seen a few different explanations as to why, but the actual experience has shown me what will work. But even on moderate carb days (not advice for those looking to recover from extreme physical exertion!) it will digest fine when consumed alone in the morning, then a heavy carb lunch or dinner to follow seems to do no harm. As for arterial plaque theories, it's a wash. Nobody knows yet the exact mechanism.
                Last edited by Knifegill; 12-17-2011, 11:48 PM.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                  For those who came into this thread wanting to know what bulletproof coffee was (cause seriously that's an awesome word combination) and then getting sad faced like me when the original poster did not put anything about in the post, here you go: Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof...And Your Morning Too | The Bulletproof Executive
                  you rock! thanks!
                  Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

On second thoughts....I was regurgitating acidic, oily coffee all day. Maybe not such a great idea. I also felt naseous for most of the dsy which was weird.

Comment

I tried it this morning! I am someone who would never steer from my heavy whipping cream and this is pure genius! Very good!

Filled my mug with coffee and then put it in the container that came with my hand blender. Added 2 Tbsp Kerrygold unsalted butter and 2 Tbsp coconut oil (both from Trader Joe's) and blended for a couple of minutes. So good... tastes like a coconut latte... but not too overpowering just a hint of coconut.

Comment

Originally posted by Claraflo View Post
                        On second thoughts....I was regurgitating acidic, oily coffee all day. Maybe not such a great idea. I also felt naseous for most of the dsy which was weird.
                        Are you new to a high fat diet? That could be the problem if so. Takes a while for you body to learn to use it as fuel. Try the enzyme with it as suggested above until you adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Legbiter View Post
                          Haha... that's funny!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Gosh, I hadn't tried using bulletproof coffee to melt the fat off in sheets. Maybe I'll see if it does that. I'm always suspicious of that kind of thinking anyway, you know, being an older woman and all. Nothing ever melts the fat away on me. Maybe it works for guys and that's why that bulletproof guy says all that stuff, but you know, his website is a total self-promotion site, he's totally selling his coaching and whatever else to guys who want to dominate as high-performance careerists or whatever. You have to take that kind of guy's words with a huge pink block of Himalayan sea salt.
                            buahahaha, he runs a strong site and has powerful 'game', but his claim about increasing his iq 20 points is pure comedy.

Comment

So I tried this last night. Decaf chai tea teabag, 2 tbls grass-fed butter, 1 tsp or so of coconut oil. I'm please to report that it's not much different from tea with heavy cream. Could have used a little sweetener, but YMMV.

I'm thinking of trying bulletproof hot cocoa, just using cocoa powder instead of coffee.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by healthy11 View Post
                                Are you new to a high fat diet? That could be the problem if so. Takes a while for you body to learn to use it as fuel. Try the enzyme with it as suggested above until you adjust.
                                Not at all, Ive been high fat for a decade now. Although I always used to drink my coffee as an espresso shot with copious amounts of whipped cream, Vienna style. The real stuff, heavy whipped cream not rubbish out of a can. Maybe its the coconut oil in that concentration. I'll sub in pouring cream next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X