BulletProof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeyChelle View Post
    Jumping in late here... What was the but about paper vs gold vs ?? filters? One study says paper =dioxins in your cuppa and another says paper removes the LDL-increasing compounds. Uhhhhh... What are you using?
    I don't worry about the LDL too much. I feel like unless you have extremely terrible cholesterol numbers that involve very high levels of trigs, temporarily elevated LDL shouldn't be a big deal. Especially since high LDL doesn't cause heart disease in itself.

I personally use a french press.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Just to be a silly goose, this morning I tried a tablespoon each of butter, coconut oil, and almond butter blended up in about 20 oz. of coffee. Very nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanM View Post
        Just to be a silly goose, this morning I tried a tablespoon each of butter, coconut oil, and almond butter blended up in about 20 oz. of coffee. Very nice.
        Hm, that almond butter is interesting. Too bad I don't give into oxidized nuts; otherwise I would give it a go XD

Comment

• I have found a coffee that is bulletproof called organic Sumatra. It is really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
            For those who came into this thread wanting to know what bulletproof coffee was (cause seriously that's an awesome word combination) and then getting sad faced like me when the original poster did not put anything about in the post, here you go: Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof...And Your Morning Too | The Bulletproof Executive

Thank you
            To Err Is Human
            To Forgive Is Canine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94923.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            SW~220
            CW~136
            GW-125

Comment

• For those concerned about using Macadamia Nut oil in place of Coconut oil because of potential oxidation: Mark mentions here that Macadamia Nut Oil is highly shelf stable, and contains very low levels of Linoleic Acid:

Is Macadamia Nut Oil Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

I also have two questions/comments regarding the concerns of "French Press / Unfiltered" coffee raising LDL levels:

1. Is there any study that shows whether or not the LDL's that are increased are Pattern A (large, fluffy) or Pattern B (small, dense) LDL? I would think that if Pattern A were to increase this might actually be beneficial? No?

2. Would it be possible to pour coffee brewed in a French Press through a paper filter, and have that remove the toxins?

I have just started drinking BPC (two mornings so far), and feel great! Better than with coffee alone. I'm also doing daily 24 hour fasts, and the additional fat in the BPC seems to help reduce my hunger pangs throughout the day more than without. I am curious, however (since I've seen different takes on this), whether the 400+ calories I'm adding to my morning cuppa joe is causing me to come out of the fasted state? I'm still in ketosis (sucking pennies), and am steadily losing weight at approximately the same rate as pre-BPC, so I think that I'm still in the fasted state; but can't be sure.

I'm guessing that one would have to be more fat-adapted in order to gain the full effects of drinking BPC, and that the body would attempt to utilize the ingested fat for fuel before storing it, and it would make logical sense to me that if I am providing fuel to my body through the butter and coconut oil, I would remain in ketosis, but not necessarily stay "fasted" until the butter and coconut oil is fully metabolized (maybe I just answered my own question there).

Either way...I feel better, and more satiated throughout the day with BPC, and it doesn't appear to have had any negative effects to my weight loss, so I will continue for now, but might just try some macadamia nut oil as well, just to see how it tastes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grokolicious View Post
                For those concerned about using Macadamia Nut oil in place of Coconut oil because of potential oxidation: Mark mentions here that Macadamia Nut Oil is highly shelf stable, and contains very low levels of Linoleic Acid:

Is Macadamia Nut Oil Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                My biggest issue with using macadamia nut oil is that it's hella expensive compared to coconut oil, and not as tasty. But to each their own.

And yes, it will drive you out of your fasted state. It's great that you are still seeing weight loss results, so it's obviously not detrimental to drink it in the morning. I personally would do it every day, but I start seeing weight gain, which is why I only do it once a week or so now.

Comment

• Hi all, first poster here,

I've been watching the Paleo/Primal world with some fascination lately, as my work keeps me pretty sedentary, and while I've kept pretty healthy eating "good food," I'm nearly always carrying an extra ~10 lbs around.

In my first couple of days eating this way and researching it I found mention of BPC, which seemed psychotic, initially! Finally, I tried it this morning, just 20oz very nice coffee with 2tbsp kerrygold, whipped with a stick blender.

Well, no doubt about it, I feel crazily energetic this morning. I often take an hour or so after (traditional) breakfast to really hit top speed, and about halfway through my mug of coffee, I was wide-eyed and smiling. Not what I expected at all, but very much inline with what I see people describing. Crazy, I can't wait to try it with the MCT oil.

Comment

• If anyone is having trouble getting used to this then try it with far lesser quantities of ghee and CO - you can go down to very small amounts if you need. You don't need to whip it up either. Just stir and sip.
                    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

• You can, but its better whipped. You can buy an inexpensive battery operated frother and whip it up in your cup. Just don't fill it all the way before you whip it or you'll make a mess. then just top your cup off with more coffee.

Comment

• Maybe this has been posted, but I cannot find it.......

Is is o.k. to have BPC after an a.m. workout and that be all for food intake till lunch?

I am not sure if the fat intake or the lack of protein prohibits muscle growth (or some other problem)? I have read that fat intake after a workout is no good??

Any suggestions?
                        Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by avelin View Post
                          If anyone is having trouble getting used to this then try it with far lesser quantities of ghee and CO - you can go down to very small amounts if you need. You don't need to whip it up either. Just stir and sip.
                          yup. i use a tsp of MCT oil & 1-2 tbs of Native Forrest coconut milk. that's it. don't even bother to stir it. keeps me totally sated b/t last night's dinner & today's lunch. and, when possible, i work out before lunch fuelled on just this.

i don't snack. at all. but often, b/t my early lunch and late dinner, i'll have a tea or coffee with another tsp of MCT and a little coconut milk. again, keeps me totally full--and i work out on it (CF or Bikram) before dinner.

not sure it would've worked so well in the past, before shifting into my current "fat-burning" state. i did a no-cheat whole30 in jan and have stayed with whole30 (plus red wine) with only rare cheats since. it has totally shifted my experience of IF and BPC IF (in a super-good way).

Comment

• Read this post this morning, did a load of research, found a local coffee roasting company that has single bean single estate coffee beans (terminology might not be right, am just getting into this whole real coffee thing!), went to collect and spent a delightful couple of hours sampling lots of coffee and being educated about coffee in general! Bought my beans, as well as a 260 grinder (Yikes, swallows hard!!), and provisionally ordered a fantastic "semi commercial" espresso machine! What an expensive post that was for me!!
                            Also stocked up on grass fed, saltfree butter, so am now going to go and make my coffee!
                            Will let you know how it tastes!!

Comment

• michelle, you should post it in this thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d47675-10.html

With pictures!

Comment

• Will do Sakura girl.
                                Just had my first cup of bullet proof coffee, to be honest I thought it would be gross, all oily and yucky. How wrong can you be????? It was delicious! I made the coffee using my brand spanking machine, then put it all into my vitamix (how does anybody function without a vitamix??) , and it had to rank amongst the best coffee I have ever drunk!!
                                Its hard to get my head around drinking a third of a pack of butter, I am petrified about getting on the scales this week! I know, I know....I shouldnt bother with the scales!
                                Thanks for all the amazing info and tips!

XXXXXXXX

Comment

Working...
                                X