No announcement yet.

BulletProof Coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don’t understand taking a non-caloric mental/physical stimulant, which when consumed in moderation, may have some health benefits, and turning it into a calorie bomb. Maybe puree some bacon into it as well? I can see this being applicable for those WHO WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT.

Comment

• I suppose if one is counting calories you have a point. I could care less about calories, for me it's A.) delicious and B.) an energy bomb.

Comment

• Originally posted by LJH View Post
        I suppose if one is counting calories you have a point. I could care less about calories, for me it's A.) delicious and B.) an energy bomb.
        Right, and instead of water we should all switch to "Brawndo", it's got electrolytes.

Comment

• When I put in ghee, it gives the coffee a slight caramelly flavor.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by dboxing View Post
            I don’t understand taking a non-caloric mental/physical stimulant, which when consumed in moderation, may have some health benefits, and turning it into a calorie bomb. Maybe puree some bacon into it as well? I can see this being applicable for those WHO WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT.
            My sentiments exactly....

And for those that are intermittent fasting, while having a shit ton of this, are, Not.Fasting.

Oh well, if it works, then keep on keeping on.

Julie

Comment

I can see this being applicable for those WHO WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT.
              Your hypothesis seems to come from CW. I've been drinking 1-2 mugs of BPC every morning for close to two months and have only continued to cut fat. I have not gained a pound. I've also been much more regular since day 1 (anecdotal evidence, I know *shrug*)

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
              My sentiments exactly....

And for those that are intermittent fasting, while having a shit ton of this, are, Not.Fasting.
              I agree with you on the fact that it is doesnt technically qualify as a fast if you're consuming 200 calories. However, there does appear to be more than meets the eye here, according to Mr. Asprey:

an all fat breakfast (like Bulletproof Coffee) doesn’t make your body think it’s broken the fast, so you get the benefits of the fasting anyway.
              While you may not be actually fasting, if your body thinks you're fasting, then what's the difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by deepglades View Post
                Your hypothesis seems to come from CW. I've been drinking 1-2 mugs of BPC every morning for close to two months and have only continued to cut fat. I have not gained a pound. I've also been much more regular since day 1 (anecdotal evidence, I know *shrug*)

I agree with you on the fact that it is doesnt technically qualify as a fast if you're consuming 200 calories. However, there does appear to be more than meets the eye here, according to Mr. Asprey:

While you may not be actually fasting, if your body thinks you're fasting, then what's the difference?
                Except that, everything else being equal, you would have lost more if you had had plain coffee instead. And, it could be a big difference when it comes to things like autophagy. Not to mention that when it comes to weight loss, consuming 200 calories, is more like 300 calories. Underestimating caloric input is a law. If CW means that I believe a person needs a caloric deficit over time to lose weight, call me CW. Here’s what will happen, folks that don’t have a problem with their weight and/or do not have a problem losing weight will drink this “food”, and not have any issues. People that do have problems with their weight and/or a hard time losing weight, will have now found one more “delicious” thing to consume.

Comment

• I agree with caloric deficit. However, nobody knows exactly how many calories their body burns. If the body were an efficient machine, people would be able to burn more, and resultantly eat more. Metabolically damaged people have to eat fewer calories because their body doesn't use stored fat as efficiently, so hormones/brain/what have you compensate by decreasing the required calories for the body to function. So a caloric deficit is correct to some degree, but it's immeasurable, which is why many people on here shun calories.

Furthermore, everybody's definition of fasting is different. Some people say that fasting means no food. Some people say that fasting means not spiking any insulin whatsoever. So it's not whether or not having 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil/ghee in coffee is fasting, it's whether or not you consider fasting limited to insulin spikes.

Comment

• Bulletproof? Make it with a press, strong and shit-can anything else. Also, I'm not buying the whole mold BS with coffee beans. Sounds like another urban legend (totally blown out of proportion). People always have to complicate the shit out of everything. Drink the F'in coffee.

"You know living on earth causes health issues."

Thank you, good day sir.
                    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                      Bulletproof? Make it with a press, strong and shit-can anything else. Also, I'm not buying the whole mold BS with coffee beans. Sounds like another urban legend (totally blown out of proportion). People always have to complicate the shit out of everything. Drink the F'in coffee.

"You know living on earth causes health issues."
                      Lol I like the quote.

Idk, this guy actually did legit studies on himself and posted them on the blog showing how the mycotoxins can really affect you. It also does explain a lot about how some people react to certain foods differently (he mentions coffee studies having both healthy and detrimental affects on your body - well, depends on your coffee! has to be something different somewhere)

Comment

• [QUOTE]an all fat breakfast (like Bulletproof Coffee) doesn’t make your body think it’s broken the fast, so you get the benefits of the fasting anyway. [/quote}

I don't understand this at all. If your body is trained to burn fat for fuel, and you give it fat, well then of course you've broken the fast. Maybe it's not break-fast only if you're still a sugar-burner?

I've found the best results if I use a little stevia. And it seems to taste a little better with butter than ghee, but that's because of the bit of milk-sugar. Won't work if you're lactose intolerant.
                        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

• Just thought I would add how I make mine...but be ready it is a bit of an abomination.

I use Cafe Kimbo Fresco Macinita - the poison of choice here in old Napoli.

While that is doing its espresso thing on the stove, I put about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (no taste)( but I used one that 'tasted' when I was in Melbourne and it was fine) in a cup with a teaspoon of molasses.

After the coffee has expressed itself I pour that into the cup and I put on my milk jug with 125 ml single/pouring cream and let that heat up, if I am short on cream I add a some butter to melt with it.

When that is warm, I put that into the cup. Now the cream is 125 ml, so my cup of coffee is no more than 200 - 250 ml. All included.

It is delicious, it holds me for ages, if I am eating well til lunch, if not eating well, I may get a little hungrier earlier.

I started doing this minus the butter, just the cream, as I was avoiding milk and then added butter to see what the fuss was. Loved it. I do not use anything to stir it on or make it fluffy, I am happy with my dark, oily, molasses like mess. (I tell myself I need the potassium and magnesium). I love it!
                          Life. Be in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxide View Post
                            I don't understand this at all. If your body is trained to burn fat for fuel, and you give it fat, well then of course you've broken the fast. Maybe it's not break-fast only if you're still a sugar-burner?
                            It's science, and I don't pretend to understand it, but what I do understand is that Autophagy is turned off by eating protein.
                            joshwhiton.com » Autophagy

Mat Lalonde has discussed it a couple times on various podcasts.
                            The Paleo Solution – Episode 68
                            Episode 8 – Paleo Nerd-A-Thon with Mat LaLonde & Robb Wolf

So a high-fat, low-protein breakfast would keep your body in autophagy, which is desirable to some degree.
                            Steph
                            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Originally posted by oxide View Post
                              It's science, and I don't pretend to understand it, but what I do understand is that Autophagy is turned off by eating protein.
                              joshwhiton.com » Autophagy

Mat Lalonde has discussed it a couple times on various podcasts.
                              The Paleo Solution – Episode 68
                              Episode 8 – Paleo Nerd-A-Thon with Mat LaLonde & Robb Wolf

So a high-fat, low-protein breakfast would keep your body in autophagy, which is desirable to some degree.
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Except that, everything else being equal, you would have lost more if you had had plain coffee instead. And, it could be a big difference when it comes to things like autophagy. Not to mention that when it comes to weight loss, consuming 200 calories, is more like 300 calories. Underestimating caloric input is a law. If CW means that I believe a person needs a caloric deficit over time to lose weight, call me CW. Here’s what will happen, folks that don’t have a problem with their weight and/or do not have a problem losing weight will drink this “food”, and not have any issues. People that do have problems with their weight and/or a hard time losing weight, will have now found one more “delicious” thing to consume.
                                Well you certainly seem to be an authority on in.

Originally posted by dboxing View Post
                                Except that, everything else being equal, you would have lost more if you had had plain coffee instead.
                                No, I disagree. Since you're just talking about calories, then how do you know I don't have a caloric deficit just by looking at the beverage I drink in the morning? You're speaking as an authority but you're just guessing. There is much more to it than just calories.

The high quality butter was a welcome addition to my diet according to my body.

Comment

Working...
                                X