Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beef liver as a permanent sub?

Hey guys,

I've started eating beef liver because it is the cheapest grass fed item I can find. Do you think liver is an adequate substitute for regular cuts?

Thanks!

Good question, I'll probably do the same thing. How much did you pay for it, and how much are the other cuts?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

My whole foods sells it for 4.99/pound... which is the best price you can find on any cut. Even the ground beef is way more expensive.

Comment

Um that&#39;s still a lot... but it&#39;s WF, so.

But you know you shouldn&#39;t eat liver that often right? I heard it can be toxic.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

yeah i think you need to be a little careful with the fat-soluble vitamins... not positive on that note though.

but have you thought about buying in bulk? I&#39;m buying 1/4 cow for $5/pound and lots of people can find it even cheaper locally.

If you can&#39;t find a local source, texasgrassfedbeef.com sells 100 pounds of beef for $608 (Shipping included).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Beef liver is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. I fry up a strip of it with dinner 3-4 times a week.

There are concerns about overdosing on Vitamin A, but this appears to only be an issue when you&#39;re deficient in Vitamin D (see http://www.westonaprice.org/Vitamin-...eoporosis.html ).

Comment

I use beef liver to supplement my meat supply because it is cheap. I doubt I could live on it though.

Comment

YO MAN WATCH OUT

You can easily get vitamin A poisoning if you overeat on liver. I&#39;ve seen it happen before.

Comment

Judging as I cannot get more than a few bites down yet, I shouldn&#39;t worry about poisoning until I start liking the taste!

Thanks everyone for the info. I&#39;ll definitely have to keep use some more variation with my beef!

FlyNavyWife: very good suggestion. I&#39;ll look into that.

Comment

Working...
                  X