Favorite Carb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Carb?

Looking for high calorie (dense), low GI if possible, carb sources as part of a post-intense workout dinner. Probably going to keep the serving size to ~50g at most, and steering clear of processed foods for sure.

I was thinking about trying poi (I live in Hawaii), but noticed the glycemic load is 28 according to nutritiondata.com, while white rice is 18, and a baked potato is 6.

Any recommendations?

Why do you want a post workout dinner?

Leave it at least an hour and then just eat like you normally would, you'll be just as well off.

Comment

Sweet potatoes are my favorite. I love it smeared in butter!

And bananas and quinoa. Those 3 are my carb staples.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Steve -

My workouts are usually finished around 7-8, so... my post workout meal is basically dinner.

Raphael -

quinoa? I&#39;ve never seen or heard of that, but maybe I haven&#39;t been looking, where do you normally find them in the grocery store? Looks like it might be something that&#39;s sold in a "specialty health store".

Comment

Well quinoa is not primal. It&#39;s a seed, or grain, whatever, but I still love it. If you&#39;re not very strict, then you should try it. It&#39;s hard to find them in regular supermarkets but they do have it in "health" stores and at Whole Foods.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Ah interesting. Well, I was doing VLC (< 10g/day) for about 6-8 weeks and dropped roughly 25 lbs. So, by all means a little too quickly.

Wasn&#39;t under-feeding at all either, 2400 cal/day and feeling satiated. In fact sometimes I felt like I was force feeding just to get 2400.

In any case, I purposely wanted to slow down the fat loss and incorporate some carbs in there, and figured right after an intense workout to be best (and to avoid them on a rest day, as contrast). So, definitely down to try out anything at the moment!

Comment

I don&#39;t usually eat in the post-workout window, but when I do plan to throw in so post-workout carbs, I go for either a banana with almond butter or a baked sweet potato drowned in 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Yum.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Sweet potatoes fried in butter and cinnamon

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cubed sweet potato and diced onion sauteed in coconut oil, served with a burger! I never get tired of it; really hits the spot.

Comment

I love my sweet potato spicy. I usually make up a blend of &#39;taco seasoning&#39; type spices, and then pan fry the diced sweet potato in a $/%? load of butter. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Haven&#39;t had that since going primal.

Funny how we talk about bananas and potatoes as treats now, isn&#39;t it?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

Comment

...I just had a delicious, perfectly-chilled Heineken.

Sorry. I am a heretic ;-)

Comment

kuno -

You and everybody in Hawaii, I think its the island-sponsored beer. Me? I stick to whiskey straight. Now THAT is a treat!

Comment

Mr.M: What&#39;s your poison?

Just wonderin???

&#39;cause I will also have a glass of rum, on occasion.

Comment

When I&#39;m going for muscle I&#39;ll toss in a banana with my whey protein shake and then pop a fish oil pill after downing the shake.

In one of his articles Mark says that if you&#39;re going for increased muscle mass it&#39;s okay to eat within the 1 hour post-workout window in order to give your body some amino acids to begin rebuilding. Also, the fish oil helps your body to use those amino acids in the rebuild/slight glycogen refill.

I know I&#39;ve packed on some SERIOUS muscle eating this way. Give it a try!

Comment

Kuno -

Eh, been making it a point to try any medium tier or above whiskey for awhile. Seem to favor JW-Black, but have been wanting to try Single barrel jack and JW-Green/Blue for awhile.

...Tequila ain&#39;t so bad either .

Funkadelic -

Is that from his "building muscle on primal" post? I&#39;ll read up on that right now actually...!

Comment

Working...
                              X