Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just put chicken drumsticks straight into my slow cooker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I just put chicken drumsticks straight into my slow cooker?

That's how I do my beef, the juice from it cooks it fine and it's never dry. Does chicken work the same?

I do chicken in my crockpot all the time. Fall-off-the-bone yummy.

Comment

Sure does!

Comment

Yep... although drumsticks won't be drumsticks when you're done... the meat will just fall apart when you take them out.

Comment

Yeah, it works fine, but if you like crispy skin the oven works better.

Comment

Absolutely! You can also toss a bit of chicken stock or homemade Italian dressing in to make it even yummier.

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
            Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Ok thanks guys. I put the chicken in there straight on top of some garlic, sprinkled it with bbq seasoning and added a very small amount of water. I've just come home and they are almost covered in liquid. Should I empty the excess and carry on cooking or just leave it? I'm really surprised at the amount of liquid to be honest.

Comment

Gotta agree with slesca on the skin (my favorite part when crispy). It's a little more prep work, but I think it might make sense to skin your drumsticks (drum skins?) before they go in the slow cooker. You'd have the skins available to fry up in some hot fat and make chicken cracklins.

Comment

leave them be... do not open it

Comment

Hey Geoff. My fascination with the slow cooker at the moment is the lack of prep time so until the novelty wears off, I'm throwing them in as they are. Although chicken cracklins mmmmm!-

Comment

OK arthur, I will do. No need to sneak a peek with the glorious smell filling my conservatory.

Comment

Oh yeah yeah yeah. Let them ride now that they're in. That was more of a "next time" comment. Skinning them can be a bit of a pain but the fried skin makes it worth the extra effort for me.

Comment

I use mine like once a week... load some meat, veggies and some seasoning and let it ride.... love it.

Comment

@arthur- Do you put any liquid in at all?

Comment

Yea... water and seasoning... I fill it about half way up the meat... so if it's a whole chicken... I fill it up to about 1/2 the side of the chicken...

pulled pork... dump the shoulder or butt in there and a bottle of low carb bbq or make your own... let it ride

Comment

Working...
                              X