Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soon-to-be-Mothers: Actual 'Healthy' Formula?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon-to-be-Mothers: Actual 'Healthy' Formula?

I agree that breast-feeding is optimal, but if you happen to need something, I found this:

"Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon has alternative formula recipes using things like grassfed liver, chicken stock, etc. Special ingredients can be found at radiantlife.com."

Yeah... the recipes are on the WAPF website.

I definitely need to look into them in more detail and price them out and compare and such (grassfed raw milk here is VERY pricey - not sure where I'd get goat milk here, but the liver/broth one might be more doable).

I am REALLY hoping that I will be able to breastfeed though... and also will be prepping to do everything I can to make that possible (getting galactagogues like fenugreek and such ready for me to take, i've already bought a hospital-grade pump, reading a book about breastfeeding after breast reduction surgery... etc).

My mother reminded me that when she was a kid formula didn't exist. My grandmother mixed evaporated milk with one other ingredient as a "formula" for my mom and aunt. That doesn't sound anywhere near ideal, and certainly not as good as the nourishing traditions/WAPF recipes, but it sounds way better than any of the formulas on the market.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Yeah, I wish I had a 'do-over' on my children :-(

Working full-time, I soon had limited milk supply :-(

Here's more: http://www.westonaprice.org/A-Breastfeeding-Saga.html

Comment

I would 100% do the liver/broth formula--much b/4 doing the milk based one. (I'm mama to a milk intolerant kiddo, so that really impacts my opinion, but I think milk is soooo much more likely to be allergenic than liver and broth. And liver and broth are sooooo nourishing!)

It's great to have options--I wish I had known a/b the WAPF recipes when I had milk supply issues in the beginning...

Comment

I think liver and bones from grass-fed beef would also likely be much easier to come across and cheaper than the milk... not a ton of people are scrambling for cow bones, you know?

(bones to make broth, in case it wasn't clear)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

LOL--I'm one of the few people who will go to my awesome grass-fed farmer just for the marrow filled cow bones for stock. I've just recently started buying ground beef from him along w/ fantastic pastured pork (in every form--from sausage to porkchops to lard--it's way cheaper than I expected!), but I don't get the steak--just too darn expensive. For the longest time I just bought bones and chicken livers from him though. I'm sure he thought I was a little odd! :P

Comment

That's awesome fairyrae... and I think you're right though, that if you're going to make stock you need GOOD bones, just like if you want to render tallow you want it from a HEALTHY cow... but with steak and stuff like that it's easier to just eat the CAFO stuff and pop a fish oil, if it's not in your budget to get the good stuff yet.

Comment

And I have found cheaper sources of grass-fed steak at my grocery store (which is an amazing store). I feel bad not supporting my farmer for that but...well, you do what you gotta do!

Yeah--the most important stuff to me is getting that good fat and organ meats--I don't think I would ever eat regular old liver (I'm not a liver lover at all, so that's part of it) and would worry too much about the toxins in CAFO liver. Plus the grass-fed/pastured liver and bones I get are SOOOOO cheap straight from the farmer.

I'm totally w/ you on all that stuff FNW! We just do the best we can!

Comment

There's a recipe for lightly cooked yolks mixed w/ grated liver in NT.

FNW: That reminds me I have to ask my mom about traditional galactagogues. Will share what she tells me. Fenugreek is the usual recommendation though.

Comment

Fenugreek is one galactagogue; blessed thistle is another. Traditional Medicinals puts out a tea for nursing mothers to support milk supply. Highly recommend it - I drank *one* cup once while nursing & it was milk-o-rama! Due to hormones cycles, one of the best ways to keep your milk supply up is night nursing & lots of it (i.e. high frequency).

Comment

Former LLL Leader here, so no friend to the formula companies. I recognize that not all women will be able to breastfeed fully, but I'm also not a fan of homemade formula recipes, at least not for newborns and young infants. Here are Mark's thoughts on the topic. His concerns parallel mine.

"If breastfeeding isnít an option because of maternal health, adoption or other irremediable circumstance, opinions differ on the best secondary options. Most experts suggest conventional formula preparations (particularly for newborns and young babies). Some have evaluated their composition to aid parents in their decision, but nearly all recommend avoiding soy formula all together.

There are also recipes for homemade formula, but itís crucial in these circumstances to consult your pediatrician. For newborns and young babies, I would recommend conventional formula with DHA and ARA. (Iím not any fan of the formula companies, but infant nutrition involves a whole constellation of considerations. As much as I despise some of the industry marketing practices, the formula companies are closely regulated, and nutrient/hydration requirements have been precisely figured.)"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...primal-babies/

Comment

I don't know how High Fructose Corn Syrup Solids (contains Mercury) & MSG can be regarded as "Closely regulated" and "precisely figured".

:-/

Comment

I had extreme supply problems when first nursing, and mother's milk tea did nothing for me. Motherlove's More Milk Special Blend also did nothing for me. What did work (in combination w/ some other stuff) was an herbal tea I made at home, containing a bunch of galactagogues, and I made a LOT of it. It was amazing...

For anyone intersted, here is the recipe. It was equal parts of all of these (dried herbs), and I made 32 oz a day:

Red Raspberry Leaf

Nettles

Alfalfa

Red Clover Blossom

Fenugreek (in the form of a powder)

Goat's Rue (also in powder form)

Marshmallow root (important to use with fenugreek--they are synergistic)

Blessed Thistle

Hop's Flower

I've since read that RRL can decrease milk supply? So watch that if you try it. I think it really helped w/ my let-downs. Luckily, by 3 months he was a nursing champ and has continued to be a strong nurser to this day (at almost 3

I agree w/ Deb that nursing a lot--even constantly--is one of the BEST ways to build and maintain supply!!

And as for choosing a formula to supplement or replace breastmilk--that is probably one of the HARDEST decision a family might need to make. My personal opinion is biased by my (poor) experience w/ commercial formulas. I think there is a correlation to my son being very intolerant to dairy, soy and corn and the fact that the 3 formulas he was on when I had trouble w/ supply were dairy, soy, and corn based (hypoallergenic formula is almost always straight up corn syrup w/ added vitamins. Good stuff! :/ He had issues w/ all of them, which is why I'm so glad I got him back exclusively on the breast. It's SUCH a tough issue, but based on my own experiences, if I were to go through it again and have nursing issues again, I think I would choose to make a liver/broth based WAPF style formula. But that's me! And maybe my kiddo would become broth and liver intolerant then! Who knows?! It's a very very very difficult issue, and a very personal decision for each family IMO. I think looking deeply into all options (including both commercial and homemade formulas) would be the best way to go about something like this...

Hopefully none of this will be an issue for you FNW, and you won't need to give any of this a second thought!

Comment

milkmaid tea.

buy it.

I just got back from the hospital on thursday and the lactation consultants were AMAZED at how fast I started producing milk and in the huge quantities.

I can't speak for these recipes, but if you're worried about producing, buy that tea, drink it as soon as you're done with delivery, drink it until it's all gone, and pump frequently those first few days. Your milk will come in. Also? Baby naked skin-to-skin time really REALLY helps. Esp if you have to have a c-section like me.

Good luck!

Comment

@ Pikaia, former LLL leader here, too.

Nursing can take a while to get established. My first kid was a super nurser right off the bat; with my second, it took almost 2 months before things were going smoothly.

Relaxing is important, too. FairyRae's tea has hops, which is a super nervine in it (nervines = relaxing) as well as many general nutritional support herbs (alfalfa, nettles, red clover, red raspberry leaf). It sounds like a really good recipe. How did it taste? I've heard goat's rue is not the, uh, "best" tasting thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X