Iron levels high

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron levels high

Hello, I just had blood work done and everything is looking great except my iron levels were high. My UIBC is 101 which is low. Normal ranges are 150-375 (according to Lab Corp). My iron, serum is 182 which is high. Noraml being 35.155 and my iron saturation is 64%, normal being 15-55%.

Any one here have high iron levels and are their complications and what did you do to reduce it? I will also discuss this with my chiropractor and a doctor when I make an appt with a new one. My chiro ordered the blood work. Iron is not something I've had tested before so I have nothing to compare it with. Phosphorus was also a little high at 4.6 mg/dL.

My husband and I have been following Primal/Paleo since about March of this year. We are the 85/15 types. A little flexabilty on weekends.

ANy feedback is appreciated!

Mine are just about right, but I've heard some people donate blood when their iron levels get too high. Good for everyone all around.
    Durp.

Comment

Are they checking your for hemochromatosis? More common in men, but also can be found in woman. Hemochromatosis - PubMed Health

There are some health risks associated with too much iron, so I would try to follow up. Are you pre or post menopausal?
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Not uncommon in peop living in high altitudes but that's not you.

Give blood.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          Are they checking your for hemochromatosis? More common in men, but also can be found in woman. Hemochromatosis - PubMed Health

There are some health risks associated with too much iron, so I would try to follow up. Are you pre or post menopausal?
          I am going to be 50 in March, so I guess premenopausal. I did read up on hemochromatosis and it made me a little nervous with possible liver damage and cardiac problems. Since moving to Reno, we haven't found a GP we like, but I did just get a referral from my chiro, so I will call that doctor and get an appt.

Comment

Originally posted by jem51 View Post
            Not uncommon in peop living in high altitudes but that's not you.

Give blood.
            We're at 4200 ft in Reno. Last time I gave blood (13 years ago) I passed out! I was a little over zealous sqeezing my hand and watching the bag rock back and forth! Eyes rolled back and that was it! Thanks!

Comment

My mother died of liver failure after a late diagnosis of haemochromatosis. It is important to get it addressed. Simplest treatment is donating blood.

Strangely, my iron levels have been much more stable since I went primal. I actually expected them to be worse
              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalMark
                Iron levels can fluctuate. Better to have super high levels any way so your body can make more blood. Just think of the coin you will save on iron supps lol!
                Yes, but too high iron levels are a problem. That's why a lot of people don't supplement with iron anymore. If you're a male or a women that doesn't have periods, you can potentially store it up in your body and mess with your liver (among other things). According to an article in PubMed, Hemochromatosis is the most common genetic disorder in the U.S., so it's not that unusual.
                Durp.

Comment

Iron in our hemoglobin oxidizes to carry oxygen so we can breath. Too much iron leads to too much oxidizing (rusting) and creates free radicals that travel around the body destroying tissue. Potentially scarring the arteries and causing plaque with the associated heart attacks and strokes.
                  -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

hmm...so is it possible that bloodletting had some therapeutic benefit?
                    my primal journal:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                      hmm...so is it possible that bloodletting had some therapeutic benefit?
                      Never looked at it quite that way, but yeah, I guess it might have, at least with some people.
                      Durp.

Comment

So if I eat a multivitamin on a daily basis with 100% iron, on top of all the red meat and chocolate I have, that's a bad thing? Should I limit my multivitamin consumption to several tiems a week instead?
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                          So if I eat a multivitamin on a daily basis with 100% iron, on top of all the red meat and chocolate I have, that's a bad thing? Should I limit my multivitamin consumption to several tiems a week instead?
                          It depends. Some people have too much, some have too little and some don't have a problem with it at all. I would look for iron levels next time you get your blood work done. Excess iron is more of a problem if you're a male or you're a women that doesn't have periods anymore. If you're having periods, it usually takes care of itself.
                          Durp.

Comment

I wasn't kidding when I said donate blood.
                            My high altitude friends w this condition have blood removed on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by jem51 View Post
                              I wasn't kidding when I said donate blood.
                              My high altitude friends w this condition have blood removed on a regular basis.
                              Absolutely. I've heard Robb Wolf talk about it on his podcast, and it stands to reason that, if you're anemic and not allowed to donate, then an excess would be the reason TO donate.

Plus it helps other people out.
                              Durp.

Comment

Working...
                              X