I can't afford to eat only grass fed meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't afford to eat only grass fed meat

Based on the above statement, how much damage am I doing by not being able to feed myself with grass fed meat?
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

not much really since red meat has better ratio than pork or poultry. if ur concerned just buy lean meats, like top sirloin.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

I travel so often I can't find grass fed meat, so I feel your pain. Just focus on getting the best cuts you can afford and don't worry so much about the grass fed. I would personally spend my money on quality fats like grassfed butter, lard, etc if you are able.

Comment

grass fed is great, but not an absolute necessity. i eat mostly conventional meat, but make it a point to get the best quality i can find where i shop, get the leaner options (toxins are stored in the fat), and supplement with fish oil. the main reason for eating grass fed is the omega ratio, so fish oil or good quality fish a couple of days a week will do you just fine.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I can't either. So it's fish most days for me. Canned mackerel is 1.69 per can and frozen salmon 4.00 for frozen side that makes three dinners. So 8.00 per week for salmon and 1.69 x about 4 for mackerel in my lunch. I'd rather eat the toxins in fish than the antibiotics and pesticides and herbicides in conventional beef.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I wouldn't stress about it.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Awesome folks, thanks.
              Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. I'm in the same boat and mostly I use lean cuts and add coconut oil when I cook (or use a wet cooking method like braising, boiling, or crock pot/dutch oven, maybe adding a little EVOO as appropriate) to avoid the *bad* fats.

You can even do the coconut oil thing with ground beef if you have the butcher grind a lean cut special for you.

Comment

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
                  I like that.
                  There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
                    Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
                    Yup, that's a good way to look at it.
                    Steph
                    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I can't claim credit. Mark rattles that off on his blog at least 4 times a year. It always helps me to refocus, though, when I start getting too deep into the nitty gritty of trying to *optimize* everything.

Comment

You just need to find a farmer that's small and sells half-sides of beef. Most smaller commercial farmers don't feed grain because it's more expensive than grass. The biggest (and most unfortunate) scam out there is the yuppie stores jacking up the price of grass-fed beef because people will pay it. It disgusts me.

Comment

Great topic! I was thinking about not just the money aspect, but the TIME. Could one go primal at, say, Krogers? I think so, if you stuck with the expensive eggs, Kerrygold butter, frozen veggies, organic heavy cream and leaner meat. Then you'd need just an occasional trip to the health food store to stock up on coconut oil and perhaps the good whey powder.

I'm trying to get a friend into Primal, and if he has to spend his entire weekend chasing over town for ingredients and then cooking them, he would throw in the towel pretty quick.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                            grass fed is great, but not an absolute necessity. i eat mostly conventional meat, but make it a point to get the best quality i can find where i shop, get the leaner options (toxins are stored in the fat), and supplement with fish oil. the main reason for eating grass fed is the omega ratio, so fish oil or good quality fish a couple of days a week will do you just fine.
                            The main reason is not the omega ratio. It is to support the good farmers who raise their animals the right way. It amazes me how so many people on a website that is against the modern food industry in so many ways continue to strongly support it by buying conventional meat.

Originally posted by bionicsamm View Post
                            You just need to find a farmer that's small and sells half-sides of beef. Most smaller commercial farmers don't feed grain because it's more expensive than grass. The biggest (and most unfortunate) scam out there is the yuppie stores jacking up the price of grass-fed beef because people will pay it. It disgusts me.
                            I agree. I don't buy grass-fed meat at the store, but straight from the farm.

Comment

Nothing wrong with whatever meat you can get. Grass fed meat can be difficult to find or afford and not everyone has local farmers and ranchers who direct market. I believe in biasing towards ruminents such as beef and lamb and venison of you can get it.

I avoid rip offs like "organic chicken" that is simply chicken fed organic grain.

Supporting ethical farmers is one thing but it shouldn't drive someone into financial distress or be so time consuming to find they despair the practicality of it.
                              Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Working...
                              X