Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab results...insight needed!

So I had my first grown up physical. Here are my lipid #'s
    Does the normal range apply to Paleo/Primal folks?

HDL "good cholesterol" = 97, Normal range 40-60
    LDL "bad cholesterol" = 99, normal range 90-120
    Triglycerides = 36, normal range 100-150
    Total cholesterol = 203
    Dr. not concerned in the least. See you next year (yeah right!)

Info, I am 38 y/o female, 5'1 1/2" usually 115 lbs, I just quit smoking (for the LAST time) and packed on an additional 15 lbs in 6 weeks, no joke...the extra weight is all in my belly and breasts, hoping its just fluid I can drop quickly. I have been "treating" myself for not smoking, and under a lot of stress. Any suggestions for getting rid of that junk would be appreciated.
    Feel perfectly healthy and strong.
    Is there a problem with my #'s? Is it possible to have triglycerides too low? I haven't looked this up yet...hoping for insight from my Primal friends!
    My Thyroid, electrolytes, kidney function tests, liver function, and blood counts were "normal"
    I wish I had a baseline to compare to, I have been eating this way for 3 years, at least!
    Thanks all!

you want some insight? you're on death's door.

Comment

That's not nice, for real?

Comment

anyone unable to lead themselves is going to suffer the leadership of another. someone cool and hip said that, but that does not matter; universal truths float in the air for the grabbing.

much has been said on this forum about cholesterol numbers, and the gist i gather is that they are meaningless.

Comment

If you're not smoking, and you are eating paleo, then you are NOT at death's door. I'd suggest not treating yourself if you want to go back to your normal weight. I can't give you any insight on your lab results, but if you search the forums, I'm sure you'll find some answers! Good luck to you!
          Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

LOL, thanks Dado, for the insight. I was looking for feedback, not to be "led". I have always done my own thing and listened to myself. Hence my first physical at age 38, and this lifestyle. If it ain't broke, and all that. I was prompted to have one done so I could keep the "primary" Dr. I preferred on my insurance for my husband and myself, not because I had any health issues. My numbers just didn't jive with "normal", and I know there are folks on here who get tested religiously once a year....who might be able to put things in perspective. J

Comment

"anyone unable to lead themselves is going to suffer the leadership of another."

True.
              However, anyone unwilling to ask for help or seek education is a moron.

A very quick look at the mayoclinic.com didn't come up with anything about low triglycerides being bad.

Comment

Your numbers are awesome. Always good to see HDL higher than Triglycerides. Total cholesteral may be meaningless but the individual numbers are not. It would be nice to have the mix of LDL but not likely to matter much, given your HDL TO Tri ratio.
                Try changing your treat from food to something else - like a weekly massage or a nice foot soak or something along that line.
                Cheers
                J

Comment

Thanks twa2w, The Doc noted on the report that the trigs were lower than normal, but that was ok. :/ Is lower than normal better? I have no idea, the random info I have picked up is from low carbers...this is where I usually end up without trying, even eating sweet and white potatoes, lots of veggies, a random serving of rice, some fruit, but I guess I gravitate towards berries and such...not as carby as bananas I suppose.
                  I just found out that my kid (age 7, I also have a 9 yo) is going to be ok after all, I have been on eggshells waiting for her pathology report/ biopsy/ ultrasound for a few weeks...(mass in her groin) turned out to be harmless...DEEP BREATHS!! Whoosh....Happy Thanksgiving!
                  Last edited by Juliemama; 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I would kill for your numbers. Another point to consider, since the Triglycerides are so low, the LDL which is calculated, may be overstated as well.
                    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
                    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
                    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Comment

Your blood lipids are great. Remember that the 'normal' range is based on the general population. The so called 'normal' triglycerides are reflective of much of the population having some degree of insulin resistance + high carb and poor fat metabolism. That being said triglycerides below about 20 is too low.

It might not feel like it but quitting smoking is makes a huge difference on health and well worth the 15 pounds and current stress. After the transition is over, when you don't feel the need to treat yourself and become less stressed, the weight should come off.
                      http://thepaleopremise.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks guys!
                        The stress never ends. Our friends' and neighbors' daughter (age 22) was just killed in a car accident Thursday morning...Send thoughts and prayers their way please...I can't begin to imagine their pain..everyone take a step back, and reprioritize for a moment...what is REALLY important every day? Kiss your kids and tell them how much you love them today. Please.

Comment

Outside of a VAP test to see what type Lpa I am toting around, I see no reason to take a cholesterol panel. The Swiss have the highest cholesterol and the lowest incidence of heart disease; the Aboriginals have the lowest cholesterol and the highest cardiac disease.

Why are you paying into the hypothesis?
                          Τρωγλοδῦται

Comment

A.) I am not paying any of you,
                            B.) Just looking for some feedback from those that may have more insight...ie, "I felt really shitty when my trigs were really low, and when I got them closer to normal, I felt FABULOUS, won the lottery and bought a tropical island"
                            C.) I didn't decide to have a lipid panel done. I am 38 and have never had one. If I wanted to keep my Primary Physician for my family (per my insurance), I needed to have a blood workup done and a physical. My Dr, although I hardly ever see him, has a definitive Primal bend to his work. I like that.

At a total Cholesterol of 203, but the #'s I had, my mother wanted to know what the Dr. wanted to do about it. *rolls eyes* not a damned thing, Ma!

Comment

Originally posted by Juliemama View Post
                              A.) I am not paying any of you,
                              B.) Just looking for some feedback from those that may have more insight...ie, "I felt really shitty when my trigs were really low, and when I got them closer to normal, I felt FABULOUS, won the lottery and bought a tropical island"
                              C.) I didn't decide to have a lipid panel done. I am 38 and have never had one. If I wanted to keep my Primary Physician for my family (per my insurance), I needed to have a blood workup done and a physical. My Dr, although I hardly ever see him, has a definitive Primal bend to his work. I like that.

At a total Cholesterol of 203, but the #'s I had, my mother wanted to know what the Dr. wanted to do about it. *rolls eyes* not a damned thing, Ma!
                              Those numbers are great. HDL phenomenal, it's always good to see trigs low, and total cholesterol between 200 and 220 is a very good thing. With regards to the weight gain, it really probably is caused by the extra stress, which causes both increased eating and greater storage of fat even without increasing calories. Don't sweat it, deal with the stuff you need to deal with, and the extra pounds should go away in time.

Originally posted by Troglodyte View Post
                              Outside of a VAP test to see what type Lpa I am toting around, I see no reason to take a cholesterol panel. The Swiss have the highest cholesterol and the lowest incidence of heart disease; the Aboriginals have the lowest cholesterol and the highest cardiac disease.

Why are you paying into the hypothesis?
                              Actually, even a vanilla lipid panel will tell you plenty. It's rubbish as a diagnostic tool, but as a screen it's very valuable for the reason that a healthy body tends to keep lipids in a certain range. Assuming a diet with sufficient animal foods, low cholesterol can indicate the presence of an infection. Abnormally high levels of total cholesterol and LDL, while probably not in themselves harmful, could indicate nutritional deficiencies or reduced thyroid function.

Comment

Working...
                              X