X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat options - wild boar

Hi,

I have access to wild boar.

I know this is a real personal thing b/c every body's body is different, but are they huge downsides to eating more pork (in the form of wild boar)?

Too many PUFAs?

I have Hashimoto's, so I try to be very careful.

Thanks!
    spicegirl

i would assume since its wild it would have less pufa than reg pork. what u can do is trim some of fat if ur concerned about it. ive had wild boar before its quite tasty but only as a burger.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Just curious how you have access to wild boar?

I've had it in a restaurant and loved it.

Comment

Thanks Chocobo.

I will have to google this topic a bit more.
        The thing is the wild boar is almost free, so hard to beat that!

Hey, congrats on getting fit. Awesome pics!

sg

Comment

If harvesting feral hogs, try to stick to the smaller ones for eating. The big boys can be a bit rough from what I understand.

Comment

They live in the woods on our farm. Destructive little buggers...they rototill the land looking for grubs.

Comment

Yes, I hear you want the smaller ones.

Comment

Originally posted by spicegirl View Post
                Yes, I hear you want the smaller ones.
                Fortunately that problem hasn't made it to my area yet. My friends elsewhere that do have the problem pretty much insist that the young ones are about the only ones worth eating and they are best smoked.. or cooked very slowly to make them tender. Please post up and let me know what you think... I'd be interested in someone with a primal/paleo palate's take on feral hog meat.

Comment

tcb,
                  my neighbor gave me some sausage from some he caught and it was quite good. they said the bacon is not very good, but i think they didn't cure it (i'd salt curt it).
                  def. will keep you posted! might take me a while to get up the nerve to do this (i'll have to gut it
                  sg

Comment

Originally posted by spicegirl View Post
                    tcb,
                    my neighbor gave me some sausage from some he caught and it was quite good. they said the bacon is not very good, but i think they didn't cure it (i'd salt curt it).
                    def. will keep you posted! might take me a while to get up the nerve to do this (i'll have to gut it
                    sg
                    Just respect the fact that they can kill you and you'll be good. I know guys that hunt them with dogs and spears, but I'd probably stick to a rifle if I were taking one. If you have a butcher in town, the probably would process the meat for you for a nominal fee if you are not wanting to get into all that. But, it is a skill that could come in handy at some point in time..

Comment

yes, my neighbor has someone who will process. and, i agree that it would be good to know how to do that.

Comment

If you're going to hunt boars, as someone earlier said, respect them. They can get big and they can get mean and they will kill you if you let them. Hunt with something big and can fire multiple shots. A 12 gauge shotgun will work well if you use slugs. Aim for the neck and the front of the chest. The top of the neck is the best target since you can hit them in the spine and kill them. The heart and lungs are a little harder to hit as they are protected by the front leg and other bones there. Be especially weary of mothers with piglets. You mess with the piglets the mother is going to try to kill you rapidly.

Up close wild boar hunt Attack of pigs! Hunter himself defense!!! - YouTube Something to look at and consider.

Also, when you go to field dress, it is advisable to wear protective gloves to prevent the blood from getting on you. Some wild boars can have disease and parasites that can transfer to humans. Proper cooking will kill them though so you don't have to worry about eating it. Just make sure it is cooked properly.

Comment

i try to freeze any wild pork i get for a few weeks before i eat it to kill parasites. i dont always do it tho'. from my experience flavour depends on the age of the beast, season etc we love the flavour. i just cook it like regular pork. it is usually alot less fatty than domesticated pig so my guess is there would be alot less PUFAS in it. like i couldnt easily make lard out of a wild pig. google "wild pork recipes" and you should find heaps.

Comment

The males are so gamey I don't know how they could be eaten. Smell of the meat is awful.

Comment

LOVE wild boar. Braised (like for 8-10 hrs) in wine, onions, garlic, tomatoes, herbs and seasoning.... drizzled with truffle oil..YUM!

Comment

Working...
                              X