No announcement yet.

Who Here Uses a Cheat "DAY"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a cheat day recently by ‘accident’ (I posted on it a couple of times here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...or-weight-loss). I lost 2 pounds and it kicked me off a weight loss plateau. I can’t recommend what I did but it seemed to work for me.

Personally, when I get to my ideal body composition I doubt I’ll do stuff like this because I want to be 100% primal at all times. However, I’m happy to cheat once or twice a month if it helps me on my journey.

The way I see it is that I ‘cheated’ every day, all my life, to the point of being unhealthy and overweight and I don’t want to go back there again.

However, if I believed, for example, that eating non-primal poison for one day every fortnight for a year would ensure steady weight loss, taking me from 30% to 10% body fat, meaning that I could live the rest of my life lean fit healthy and totally primal - I would take it. It’s a no brainer for me.

What I will say though is that if I had 4.3% body fat like Brad, I wouldn’t dream of eating ANY crap EVER again.

EDIT: At 4.3% body fat, how much more can you lose and still be healthy? I don't know but I bet it's not much.

Comment

I am certainly not in the low single digits of body fat, but as a 54 yo female, I guess that's a good thing. I'm simply a person trying to understand how to be healthy and stop poisoning my body. The PB is the first WOE I can fully embrace as a lifetime change, not simply a diet. I think that a person who has already attained their perfect body can probably afford to sabotage themselves once a week better than the rest of us on this forum who still have a long way to go to arrive at our goals.

Comment

@Sharonll - yes, any foods that produce a significant insulin surge would work well. therefore, you are not solely restricted to using the worst foods in the world to achieve this response, rather the typical "unclean" foods tend to do this best. i choose to enjoy some of those junkier foods on my cheat day, and do so with great success...but if you'd like to have gatorade and a honey, banana and peanut butter sandwich (again, as an example only), this would work too.

Comment

I don't have a cheat day per se. When I visit friends' homes, I usually eat what they offer. Occasionally when I feel like eating something non-primal (it's usually rice), I just go ahead and eat and not think about it after that.

Comment

@Sharonll I got to this point using this strategy - I was not at this point when I started using the cheat/fast day combo...so what you're saying is irrelevant.

Comment

Hey, I just checked out your blog, and well, your nutrition advice is the complete opposite of the primal blueprint... (low-fat + grains VS high-fat + no grains)... so I don't know what kind of response you're looking for here.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
              ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

And saying someone&#39;s comment is irrelevant isn&#39;t rude and likely to incur hosility? I was being completely polite to you. Sheesh.

Comment

that had no rude intentions behind it - was just pointing out that what you were suggesting was not the case and therefore did not apply. i appreciated your feedback and am not here to argue with anyone.

Comment

@Asturian - how is the life w/o junk working for you? What is your current body fat%? Are you the epitome of optimal health? Are you living your life without the use of any prescription medications whatsoever, thanks to your 100% primal ways? Are you seeing 1-3 lbs of fat loss each and every week with no plateauing or setbacks?

I sure hope so - otherwise your inability to overcome your subconscious mind is hindering your success when it comes to achieving your fitness goals.

I presume that many people expressing their strong "opinions" aren&#39;t in the low single digits of body fat?

Just curious

I sees you have done your homework.

As my initial post may have revealed, I have lost about 90 lbs. I weighed in this morning at 235. I think I will make 100 lb weight loss goal by end of month.

I have reduced my meds from 3 BP and 2 cholesterol meds down to just 1 BP med, the minimum dose available and hope to be off that soon based on my own daily BP monitoring.

One to three lbs of fat loss each and every week. No not always -- sometimes less, sometimes more. A steady trend in the right direction. Yes. Some plateaus. Have I figured out how to deal with plateaus, yes I think so (baby ruths and other junk not included).

Single digit body fat is not a goal though if that happened I would not be angry. Perhaps perplexed but not angry.

My goal is optimal health. If single digit body fat accompanies that, "sweet" (though not in a baby ruth way).

Not sure what you mean by the psycho hindering success comment. I am achieving and will achieve my "health" goals.

Have you checked out the leptin resistance thread?

Just curious

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                    —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Before finding the primal blueprint I bought Joel Marion&#39;s diet plan, which appears to be the same as Brad is promoting. However, shortly after I discovered the PB and have done additional research on grains and I am positive I do not want to consume them. However, on the whole leptin boosting idea, I have considered having a carb up day filled with sweet potatoes and nuts, but then wouldn&#39;t that kick me out of ketosis? It is my understanding it takes days to get into ketosis, and with a weekly leptin boosting day it would seem like one would only be in ketosis for a day or so before the cheat day. I wonder what is more beneficial for weight loss, ketosis, or upping your leptin levels....

Comment

@jmc - to my knowledge Joel&#39;s plan does not involve fasting...but the theory behind the cheat is spot on. I like to incorporate a 24-hr fast the day after, to create a huge cal deficit and dig into stubborn fat stores. in terms of ketosis vs leptin levels, i&#39;d have to dig into more research to "attempt" to decipher which would be more valuable. bottom line is there are thousands of different ways to succeed in losing fat, looking better and achieving better health. this is the strategy i employ and i wondered if others had ever excelled with this tactic.

@asturian - this strategy is what allowed me to hit 1-3 lbs each week and prevent plateaus. what more can i say...i gave you the research, it&#39;s worked in real world applications and i&#39;m a believer.

you&#39;re not, so we agree to disagree. should you find some research that disproves any of my findings, i&#39;d encourage you to share that with me so we can get off the "i bet my dad could beat up your dad" kind of responses

all differences aside, i commend you for improving your lifestyle and getting off those meds. as a pharmacist and trainer, i&#39;d much rather see individuals treat the CAUSE, rather than take meds to minimize the symptoms. kudos for the transformation thus far.

-b

Comment

1 to 3 lbs of fat loss starting at what weight? and ending at what weight?

I can fluctuate 1 to 3 lbs a week just with water consumption alone.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                          —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Starting at 196 and ending at 167 lb.

This was all carefully measured with body comp analysis, not just scale weight.

Comment

actually gained just over 3 lbs of lean muscle as well

Comment

From personal experience (not scientific fact), when I do have a cheat day, I feel terrible the next day and sometimes the day after. I just don&#39;t see how poisoning yourself then fasting could be "good for you" in the long run. I guess if you&#39;re trying to get to single digit bf% levels, you might have to get a little crazy, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s "healthy" to sit at the sub 6% level (unless it&#39;s a bbing competetion) and even then it&#39;s like for a day...

Comment

Working...
                                X