Beef heart nutrients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef heart nutrients

I'm going to try beef heart for the first time, and was wondering if there's anything to keep in mind as far as an "overdose" on certain nutrients (like can be an issue with vitamin A in liver), or any other similar concerns. Like, if I were to make it a staple of my diet (assuming I like it...we'll see), is there anything I should watch out for?

It would be physically really difficult to stuff yourself with enough to cause any problems. Relax and enjoy.

Comment

Cool. I decided to throw it in the crock pot for a few hours with some veggies...I hope I end up liking it. Can't pass up cheap meat.

Comment

Yep, Heart makes a great stew. It also makes wonderful jerky.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          Yep, Heart makes a great stew. It also makes wonderful jerky.
          I second that. Nice and lean and cheap. Perfect jerky criteria.

Comment

The only thing the possibly be wary of is that it's really high in iron - twice what regular muscle meat has. If you're a dude and your iron levels are already high, you might not want to eat loads of it - or look at it as a good opportunity to go donate blood. If you're a woman in your childbearing years, it's totally ok. And I've learned the hard way that it can make small children constipated

Comment

But I would think you would reach satiety long before reaching anything near an OD on iron. Heart is very "hearty", by which I mean that it tastes very dense. You can't eat that much of it unless you purposely stuffed yourself. It feels like eating a stick of butter to me by comparison with regular muscle meat.

Comment

One time I bought a lb of chicken hearts to make for lunch. The lb was very cheap, about $1, so score. I had no real food to speak of at home and I needed something quick. I sauteed the entire package in butter and garlic and chowed down. About half way through it just became too much. The taste was good, but yeah, just way too dense. I had to walk away.
                Consuming a lb of steak, no problem, ground beef, easy, but heart... no.

Comment

Originally posted by Ande View Post
                  One time I bought a lb of chicken hearts to make for lunch. The lb was very cheap, about $1, so score. I had no real food to speak of at home and I needed something quick. I sauteed the entire package in butter and garlic and chowed down. About half way through it just became too much. The taste was good, but yeah, just way too dense. I had to walk away.
                  Consuming a lb of steak, no problem, ground beef, easy, but heart... no.
                  But I would think you would reach satiety long before reaching anything near an OD on iron. Heart is very "hearty", by which I mean that it tastes very dense. You can't eat that much of it unless you purposely stuffed yourself. It feels like eating a stick of butter to me by comparison with regular muscle meat.
                  I must be a mutant. I have made heart a staple and eat at least 1 lb a day 4x/week every week that I lift weights (I take every 4th week off to recuperate). Last time I had my hemoglobin checked it was within the normal range. Actually kinda on the low end if I remember. But I have a history of anemia and recently stated donating blood again, so maybe I need the extra iron.

Comment

I buy elk hearts and livers from ElkUSA.com. They are a really pricy game meat company but they sell the offal dirt cheap in their "dogfood" section. Elk heart stew is da bomb.

I'm going to be donating blood tomorrow so I'm having some of the elk liver I made into pate today along with some spinach. I don't think I'm going to do any damage from excess iron.

Comment

Had it earlier today, you're definitely right about the density. The stuff certainly is filling (yet at the same time delicious), which is good because I'm capable of eating a lot of meat and that can get a little expensive.

Looks like I'll be getting it fairly regularly from now on.

Comment

Paleobird thanks for the link! I just ordered elk heart and elk back ribs for 1.95/lb. Got over 50 lbs of meat for 150$.

Comment

Just throwing this out there...
                          You don't have to stew or over-cook beef heart. Once you've trimmed away the hard crap, it's quite tender and delicious. I slice it thin and fast-fry it in butter with eggs for breakfast.

Comment

Working...
                          X