Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most concise way to explain how Wheat is killing us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most concise way to explain how Wheat is killing us?

When people ask me what I'm doing with my "diet", I usually say I'm focusing on eating whole, unrefined foods and avoiding wheat/gluten/sugar and seed oils.

I usually steer away from talking about low-carb, omega 3 / omega 6 balance, systemic inflammation, gut health because people who are asking for the first time look completely bored and lost.

The wheat thing is obviously the biggest obstacle to people's thinking since avoiding the other things make sense in general.

Have you found a concise, quick approach to this without overwhelming the person or just saying, "I'll give you some books" ;-)

This thread will be lacking because there is no real world evidence that wheat is killing us...because its not.

Comment

Wheat contains compounds that strip our bodies of the minerals it needs, like calcium. In addition, it has been modified to contain several proteins that irritate the immune system. I feel better when I do not eat wheat.

End of story.

Comment

If you want to look at the devastating effects of wheat then look no further than most third world countries like Chad, Ethiopia, or the Congo where their food intake is mostly wheat supplied by the U.N. under the World Food Program.

Too many people are hungry in the world and with 30,000 people dying daily from hunger (almost a billion don't eat daily) alone wheat has it's place in this world. We are fortunate enough to be able to eat optimally here in developed countries where food is in abundance and we can enjoy meat and vegetables.

Is wheat killing people? Quite the contrary, it's saving lives. Do these people have a high quality of life? Absolutely not! Due to this I don't go out of the way to demonize wheat because I know how important it is to the world. But I want to live optimally so I avoid the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by McChunky View Post
          When people ask me what I'm doing with my "diet", I usually say I'm focusing on eating whole, unrefined foods and avoiding wheat/gluten/sugar and seed oils.

I usually steer away from talking about low-carb, omega 3 / omega 6 balance, systemic inflammation, gut health because people who are asking for the first time look completely bored and lost.

The wheat thing is obviously the biggest obstacle to people's thinking since avoiding the other things make sense in general.

Have you found a concise, quick approach to this without overwhelming the person or just saying, "I'll give you some books" ;-)
          NO ONE is going to believe YOU or ME about the dangers of wheat. Send them to this web site:
          Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight
          Low Carb Age Wheat Belly Book Review Low Carb Age

People brainwashed by a lifetime of eating "Heart Healthy" Grains, the "Food Pyramid" and their doctors orders to eat more "Healthy Grains" are just not going to believe anything we say. Lead by example. IF they ask how you lost weight, tell them you gave up grains, and then refer them to the book, "Wheat Belly," by Cardiologist Wm Davis. Dr. Davis has the credentials to be credible.

Fred
          Last edited by Grizz; 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I like the person who said they are allergic to grains because it makes their ass big!
            -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

Here's the gist of wheat:

1.) Wheat is full of phytic acid. It binds to essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and many others and prevents our body's absorption of said minerals. This leads to all kinds of wonderful things like osteoperosis, tooth decay and various forms of malnutrition. This is the smallest concern IMO.

2.) Wheat is of a very high glycemic index and causes large swings in blood sugar. When exposed to chronically - like 6-8 servings a day, ahem - it eventually leads to weight gain and often Type 2 Diabetes.

3.) The biggest issue with wheat is the gluten, lectins and saponins in it. These things are evolutionary defense mechanisms of the plant. They punch holes in your gut and turn your intestines into a sieve, literally. It's called "leaky gut". Over time, the condition gets to bad that food literally leaks into the rest of your body. This causes huge amounts of systemic inflammation and an auto-immune reaction. Your immune system sees these food particles as intruders and your body begins attacking themselves. In mild cases, it will manifest as allergies, eczema, psoriasis, acne and arthritis. In worse cases, the intense inflammation could lead to more serious things, like Crohn's disease, heart attack, cancer...all that good stuff.

4.) Wheat has a large amount of omega 6 in it that rapidly oxidizes when milled. The flour you're buying on the shelves goes rancid so quickly it's almost certainly bad before you buy it. Unless you're sprouting and grinding your own wheat berries right before use, you're buying rancid garbage. Oh, and then you're going to further bake rancid flour.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons to avoid wheat in addition to this.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                This thread will be lacking because there is no real world evidence that wheat is killing us...because its not.
                Then what is killing us? Ignorance and poor grammar? Please refute my post above.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I think one big factor in the success in paleo, primal, or low carb diets is simply the elimination of wheat. As I started adding carbs back into my diet, I found sugar and starchy vegetables didn't have a profound effect other than increasing calories, but adding back wheat caused almost instant inflammatory reaction.

I'll wager that when I started primal almost 1 year ago, if I'd have just eliminated wheat I would have gotten nearly the same results.

Study Sheds Light On Gluten Sensitivity - WSJ.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                    Then what is killing us? Ignorance and poor grammar? Please refute my post above.
                    What is killing us? Overconsumption of calorie dense foods.

Comment

I asked you to refute my points, not drop an irrelevant, unsubstantiated one liner. Let me put it this way.

Let's assume my maintenance calories are 2,000. I claim that you will do less harm to yourself eating 2,500 calories worth of white rice and beef a day than 1,500 calories worth of wheat and chicken a day. You may gain more weight eating the white rice and beef, but you will be healthier and less prone to illness.

Overconsumption of general calories does not lead to poor health if what you're overconsuming isn't toxic in that quantity to your body. Just because you take in more calories than you require doesn't mean you're doing harm. The issue is that people overconsume BAD things, like wheat and soy. The thresholds for toxicity of those are much lower than what a person requires calorically, whereas the amount of white rice you'd have to eat to become toxic is far beyond what a person can eat.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                        I think one big factor in the success in paleo, primal, or low carb diets is simply the elimination of wheat. As I started adding carbs back into my diet, I found sugar and starchy vegetables didn't have a profound effect other than increasing calories, but adding back wheat caused almost instant inflammatory reaction.

I'll wager that when I started primal almost 1 year ago, if I'd have just eliminated wheat I would have gotten nearly the same results.

Study Sheds Light On Gluten Sensitivity - WSJ.com
                        Eliminating wheat has caused the most dramatic change to my health since going Paleo / Primal. People (on this forum) who don't understand the health benefits of removing it from the diet either have never fully removed it or have never been that sick.

Even if I never lost a pound by doing this, I would never go back to eating all the "whole grain goodness" I did before and was riddled with allergies, digestive problems, etc.

Comment

No, I'm pretty sure it was the wheat that was killing me. So is my oncologist.

Comment

Yep. 100% sure the wheat was:

- giving me 'rheumatoid arthritis' aka crippling immune issues, joint stiffness, muscle wasting, exhaustion etc. that was ruining my life (and is back in a flash if I get accidentally wheat dosed)

- contributing to my overall poor health (chronic respiratory issues, constant colds/flu/illness, serious winter illness like bronchitis, strep, pneumonia year after year, increased susceptibility to food poisoning, etc). I now haven't had more than a day or two of illness, if that, in a year and a half. And both of those were 'bad bugs' I caught from other people and killed in less than a day each.

- making it really hard to eat an 'appropriate' number of calories of weight loss or maintenance, even when I was eating lots of protein.

- contributing to my mother's obesity and increasingly problematic back and joint pain, and years-long IBS-like gut issues (all the latter gone, and 30lb+ already gone on the former)

I get a bit of skepticism, but N=1 is powerful stuff.

Comment

Wheat isn't killing us, eating improperly prepared wheat is. And anything you can buy at the store isn't properly prepared. Wheat needs to be soaked, sprouted or fermented to get rid of the "nasties" that tear up our gut and block mineral absorption.
                              $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X