Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So rice is cool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So rice is cool?

    I am getting back into primal after illness- and a month or so of 'normal carby' foods. After feeling like crap, I am getting back into primal goodness.

    One thing I did enjoy was my walnut oil egg fried rice. I'd pan fry the raw rice in a bit of walnut oil then slowly add water. Then add whisked eggs. Mmm!

    When I was previously primal, the only starchy carbs I would have was a potato after a workout. Well I quite like my rice, so would it be fine to keep?

    I am also suffering from a rotator cuff injury (it's all happenin!), but I am doing mild cardio and mild sledgehammer work as exercise, so I won't have that low carb empty glycogen feeling like I do with exercise when I go LC.

  • #2
    Sledgehammer workouts on a rotator cuff tear? Dude.

    White rice has gone from the "never" list to the "oh, whatever" list for me and lots of others - it's basically empty starch calories without a lot of vitamins and minerals, or antinutrients / toxins either for that matter. I'm going to have some today with my homemade teriyaki chicken. Couldn't imagine an asian chicken dish without rice to go with it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

    Comment


    • #3
      For most people it is not as the majority go on this diet for weight lose purposes and rice would defeat the point. But, for lean active people I think it's perfectly fine. I go by the "Have you earned yours cabs?" moto. If I'm working out like a mad man, then rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, even some buckwheat are all fair game and even necessary for recovery purposes and glycogen restore.

      Comment


      • #4
        White rice probably isn't really primal although it's debatable because I believe it's technically a grass and not a grain. White rice is stripped of all value so it will only hurt you by spiking your blood sugar. Basically it's just starch which equals sugar. Unless you really enjoy it and do not have a weight problem I would not bother with it. It is at least cheap if you are on a tight budget.
        -Transform!

        Groktimus Primal's Experience

        Comment


        • #5
          IMO, it's a non-issue for healthy people. It's certainly easier on my digestion that "more primal" foods...
          Lifting Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tfarny View Post
            White rice has gone from the "never" list to the "oh, whatever" list for me and lots of others - it's basically empty starch calories without a lot of vitamins and minerals, or antinutrients / toxins either for that matter.
            It contains phytic acid, which has a strong binding affinity to zinc, iron and other important minerals, thus contributing to mineral deficiencies. The reason we're not as tall now as we were back in the paleolithic age is not because of gluten. It's the phytic acid. That explains why the asian people got smaller too, as we entered the neolithic age. They didn't eat wheat, rye and barley (gluten, phytic acid) but they did eat a lot of rice (phytic acid).
            Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
              It contains phytic acid, which has a strong binding affinity to zinc, iron and other important minerals, thus contributing to mineral deficiencies. The reason we're not as tall now as we were back in the paleolithic age is not because of gluten. It's the phytic acid. That explains why the asian people got smaller too, as we entered the neolithic age. They didn't eat wheat, rye and barley (gluten, phytic acid) but they did eat a lot of rice (phytic acid).
              Pretty much all of the phytic acid in rice is contained in the bran, so this is only a concern for brown rice. It is removed to produce white rice. So white rice is preferable. Also, for those who haven't seen Mark's post: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
                It contains phytic acid, which has a strong binding affinity to zinc, iron and other important minerals, thus contributing to mineral deficiencies. The reason we're not as tall now as we were back in the paleolithic age is not because of gluten. It's the phytic acid. That explains why the asian people got smaller too, as we entered the neolithic age. They didn't eat wheat, rye and barley (gluten, phytic acid) but they did eat a lot of rice (phytic acid).
                dude everybody knows Asians are short because they're always bowing, wise up Denmark.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Last night for dinner I had seaweed salad with cucumbers and raw tuna and then four roe nigiri sushi pieces. That's how I do rice.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                    it's basically empty starch calories without a lot of vitamins and minerals, or antinutrients / toxins either for that matter.
                    Yep! To me, rice is the ultimate refeed starch. It's empty starch, high GI, has less anti-nutrients than some fruits and vegetables and has practically no fiber. It's simply to digest, easy on the stomach...if you need post-workout carbs, I think it's the best out there, and I've tried just about everything (try eating 4 sweet potatoes post workout and get ready for a fun bathroom experience in a few hours...not so with white rice!).

                    It's tough fitting it into a low-carb plan, though. I don't mix it with fat because I only use it post workout where I keep fats as low as possible. If you're making it part of a high fat meal and frying it in walnut oil (I would never heat walnut oil - be very careful as it has a higher PUFA content than most industrial seed oils!), you'd want to consume it in limited quantities and make sure it fits into your carb budget. If I up my dietary fat intake, I need to keep carbs in the 100g range or less to avoid putting on fat or retaining water. If I keep fats in the 30-40g range for the whole day though, I can eat around 300g of carbs or so and be oaky. 100g of carbs isn't much rice, so be careful if you're trying to cut or maintain body fat. In terms of health, though, it's perfectly fine IMO!
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                      Pretty much all of the phytic acid in rice is contained in the bran, so this is only a concern for brown rice. It is removed to produce white rice. So white rice is preferable. Also, for those who haven't seen Mark's post: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                      White rice definitely contains less phytic acid than brown rice. But how much depends a lot on how the rice is processed. Approximately 80% of the phytates are located in the outer bran layer. Obviously, the loss of phytic acid during milling can't exceed that level, and test samples have shown that it is probably closer to 70% (Tabekhia & Luh 1979, Jianfen Liang). So basically you're down to 30% of the original content after dry milling the rice.

                      Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      wise up Denmark.
                      That'll be the day hell freezes over!
                      Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
                        White rice definitely contains less phytic acid than brown rice. But how much depends a lot on how the rice is processed. Approximately 80% of the phytates are located in the outer bran layer. Obviously, the loss of phytic acid during milling can't exceed that level, and test samples have shown that it is probably closer to 70% (Tabekhia & Luh 1979, Jianfen Liang). So basically you're down to 30% of the original content after dry milling the rice.
                        Good to know. Thanks for the additional info.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would say that sauteeing in walnut oil is a larger health issue than the rice. That's a large dose of omega6s you are potentially oxidizing by heating.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have it in the form of sushi x2 a month, as my payday/post heavy workout ritual.

                            Sitting around chowing on a big bowl, like back in the day, will definitely stall my ongoing weight loss. For those still in the weight loss phase, go easy if you're not working out heavy. If you're at goal and/or really working your body hard, have yourself a time.

                            I am particularly sensitive to this grain stuff (face swells, the shape of my nose even changes) and very in touch with my body, and even I can detect no deleterious effect from rice.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I eat a large amount of white rice once per week in the form of 15-18 orders (30-36 pieces) of nigiri after my Friday workout. It's nothing but awesome as far as I'm concerned. I don't experience any unpleasant issues from it like I would from eating a large amount of bread or other grain food.

                              Choco, I never experience GI issues from sweet potatoes, skin on or off--if anything I find they help keep me regular. I wonder if you have an intolerance to them?
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

                              My Primal Journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X