Intermittent Fasting success stories?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Fasting success stories?

I am trying the lean gains style IF... Once a week I fast 16 hours (eat dinner Sunday night and then don't eat again til Monday lunch.) Not sure if I am seeing any results and wondering if anyone here can say IF is working to burn those hard to hit final fat cells.

So what you're saying is that you're following LG one day each week?

Comment

Originally posted by nickdk View Post
      So what you're saying is that you're following LG one day each week?
      Yes. 100% primal, incorporating one 16 hour fast once a week.

Comment

LG is a very specific approach and you can't just do it 1 day and expect results. You need to time your nutrients and you need to toggle your macro nutrients based on your training days/rest days. LG is for all days not just 1 day a week

Comment

I used LG successfully to get to 8%BF. Every day for several months just to drop 9 lbs. It works, but follow the program, including carb/fat cycling.

Comment

I don't follow leangains but I do fast daily and incorporate his wisdom, with 4-ish hour eating window. IF is great and will keep you trim; and better than anything else, I believe. How long have you been fasting? I wouldn't imagine once a week would accomplish a whole lot, at least at a noticeable level.

Comment

I started off back in February doing 18-20 hour fasts most days, and once or twice a week, doing a 24-hour fast. I noticed immediate and significant improvements in fat burning, which I had never before then been able to achieve, even with strictly primal eating (but 3 meals per day). Then, I gradually slipped into having my daily fasts last more like 14-16 hours, and after a few weeks, I realized that I had completely stopped losing fat. Once I returned to my longer 18-20 hour daily fasts, I'm again in my ideal fat-burning zone. Possibly unusual, since I'm a female and, at least according to Martin at Leangains, females often do best with ~14-hour daily fasts, while men benefit from longer ones. But then again, I'm also not following the LG macronutrient-cycling or exercise protocols, either.

How long have you been eating primally? How compliant are you? If you stick with a primal diet for long enough, it's likely that you'll stop needing to eat every few hours, and will start to find 14-16+ hour daily fasts easy to accomplish with no feeling of deprivation. I concur with Orchid that fasting only 1 day per week is unlikely to accomplish anything... But if you're just beginning a primal lifestyle, one day per week is a good place to start.
              Last edited by healthseekerKate; 11-20-2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I have used lean gains to lose quite a bit of weight. Not eating until noon or after helps me to keep cravings down. I am used to it by now and don't really even get hungry in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ifine
                  yeah!if you're just beginning a primal lifestyle, one day per week is a good place to start.
                  Yes but jerisprimal is asking in regards to Leangains, and skipping breakfast 1 day pr week has very little to do with the LG concept, so I don't think we should give jerisprimal wrong info

Comment

I went from 170lbs in Nov 2010

To 138lb using Eat Stop Eat, the Warrior and occasionally extended IF (40hrs)

A lot depended on my schedule and events of the day or if I had a big refeed.
                    http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've used IF fasting twice as experiment, where I did not eat for 24 hours and the results were amazing. First time I went from 195 to a solid 190. Second time I went from 190 to 186 and stayed at those numbers after the fast. I know it sounds like a lot of weight lose in 24 hours, but it was doing something to my body that was allowing it to let go of the weight.

Comment

I eat breakfast and dinner most days and eat only breakfast one day a week. I see this as a sign that I'm gaining the metabolic flexibility of a healthy person. My weight loss began at the same time I became able to do the weekly 24-hour fast. I think it helps me reduce my weekly calories. I would not be able to lose any weight if I ate 3 full meals every day and snacks would cause weight gain.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I wouldnt really expect any results from that - I mean, essentially what you are doing is once a week skipping breakfast - big deal, loads of people do it all the time, and are still fat... The problem is, with 16h fasting once a week you add 4h of fasting 52x per year - the year has 8760 hours, and you changes something for 208 of those - thats 2.3%, or a rounding error, especially if you take into account that you might just catch up (...and more...) on Monday lunch

If for some reason you can't do it everyday, then I'd suggest you do the "eat. stop. eat." protocol where you fast for 24h once or twice a week.
                          http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

If you are talking to me, why is my one day a week where I fast for 24 hours any different from what you suggested, which is to fast for 24 hours once or twice a week? I've also done it twice in a week but I do not have a specific plan to do it twice.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              If you are talking to me, why is my one day a week where I fast for 24 hours any different from what you suggested, which is to fast for 24 hours once or twice a week? I've also done it twice in a week but I do not have a specific plan to do it twice.
                              I replied to the first post by jerisprimal, obviously agree with you
                              http://thorfalk.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X