Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon fat from non organic bacon?

Hello to everyone here at this amazing information packed primal forum

I have a question about the quality of the fat we eat. I live in Denmark and here are not so many organic bacon alternatives so our breakfast is usually made up of organic eggs scrambled in the bacon fat from non organic bacon. I would like to hear your opinion on this.
    I was thinking that it might be better to not use that fat and swap it with coconut oil in the same quantities instead?
    I'm worried that there's too much bad stuff from antibiotics in that fat.

Thanks!

Or do duck fat!

Comment

Is duck fat better then coconut oil? I don't have any duck fat...

Comment

I wouldn't say better at all, just different. They're both good. I just figured you'd be likelier to find good quality duck fat. If you enjoy animal fat with your eggs, it's pretty yummy. If you like the coconut taste, that's tasty, too!

Comment

Thank you for your reply
          Regarding my initial question about the non organic fat, do you agree that there's a problem with that? It wasn't clear to me from your answer :-)

Comment

My understanding is that most toxins are stored in the fat, which is why meat with conventional fat is to be avoided.
            "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

Yes, I would definitely avoid any fat that is not from good quality animals!

Comment

thanks to both of you :-)

Comment

This always bugs me: what toxins? I think the ecological/environmental argument to eat organic/grassfed is far more convincing than the health argument. Eat your bacon fat!

Comment

Organic-vs-non organic porkfat. Most "organic" meat is still grainfed,just using organic grains. Same with so called "organic chickens" they are simply battery chickens fed organic feed. If it isn't pastured there is not any real difference and organic in meat is a waste of money. Eat your bacon fat and also eat high omega 3 food to balance out the high o6 in pork. Look for pastured meat and wild caught fish.
                    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Originally posted by DownhillDude View Post
                      This always bugs me: what toxins? I think the ecological/environmental argument to eat organic/grassfed is far more convincing than the health argument. Eat your bacon fat!
                      I'm going to go with toxins = the crap you don't necessarily want to put into your body. Ie., antibiotics and growth hormones.
                      "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

Originally posted by Karate Lisa View Post
                        I'm going to go with toxins = the crap you don't necessarily want to put into your body. Ie., antibiotics and growth hormones.
                        That's exactly what I referred to. Here in Denmark the organic pigs get around 5% of the antibiotics of the non organic animals. So I wanted to know if that could make the bacon fat less eatable. I do buy organic when I can but organic bacon isn't that widespread here. I do eat a lot of Omega 3 so that's not my main concern regarding the non organic fat.

Comment

nickdk, I can't get organic/pastured bacon here either. In fact, I can't get organic/pastured anything! So all of my meat, dairy, eggs, vegetables are probably high in residues... but I'm still eating it anyway. What choice do I have!

My bacon is 97% bacon... the rest is written in Thai so I have no idea, but probably fillers or nitrates and other nasty stuff...

So, my bacon consumption is in moderation. I do eat the fat when I eat it, but I also render my lard from pork fat - which I can get, but for definite is a farmed pig, not pastured. Again not great, but I figure even that is still better than PUFAs. I'd be eating it anyway, even if I was eating a conventional diet but, by removing the processed crap and eating a primal diet perhaps we are freeing up the inflammation and stress on our system thereby enabling the body to deal with any toxins coming in. I don't know if that's sound logic, but it's what I'm going on.

Quite a few of the doctors who blog or have written books about Paleo eating say it's still OK. But I'd say moderation is the key here.
                          SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                          “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

Working...
                          X