Bugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs

Would anyone here eat bugs if they could buy them in bulk? I could see myself munching on a bowl of fried mealworms. Surely Grok didn't mind eating insects when he came across them.

What do ya think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomophagy

yea i'll eat some bugs if they're cooked and coated with something, like chocolate covered ants maybe?

Comment

I could eat little worm things but something with multiple legs like a spider. . . . . . ewwwww
      It's just cultural conditioning though isn't it?

Comment

I'd kept a mealworm farm for a couple years (for culinary purposes.) A bowl of fried mealworms... not that tasty, but they are a great addition to cookies and such.

I currently have a few Chinese water beetles in the freezer waiting to be enjoyed. I am planning on resuming the mealworm farm in the next year.

Comment

Bug eating is very popular here in my part of Thailand. In fact, I would go as far as to say it's integral!

I have tried crickets, ants, and even a black scorpion (whole - even the tail, which was a mistake on my part, and probably why I felt sick after it. LOL)

Deep fried, and covered in salt, the closest approximation I can make is that they taste like potato chips and not icky at all.
          SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
          “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

i would try it..... if it was cooked..... no gut gushing
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

Australian aborigines eat them and always have. Classic hunter gatherer.

Comment

In Korea that boiled silkworms in the street and sold them in cups for a couple of thousand Won. They smelled rotten but didn't taste horrible. Good protein if nothing else.

Comment

I'd eat insects only if I was starving.

Comment

Originally posted by afsjesse View Post
                    In Korea that boiled silkworms in the street and sold them in cups for a couple of thousand Won. They smelled rotten but didn't taste horrible.
                    Oh god! I know that smell!!!

The rotten stench of Korean silkworm larvae, boiling in those big vats by the side of the road, has GOT to be the worst smell on earth! I literally couldn't walk past one of those without gagging. The deer antler 'tea' places smelled totally rank too, as in, ugh I'm going to puke if I don't get outta here... but nowhere near as bad as the silkworm larvae! UGH! There are bugs, and then there's THOSE BUGS!

The Thai's fry their silkworm larvae, haven't tried them, but they look and SMELL a whole lot better than the Korean Beondegi!
                    Last edited by thaijinx; 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM.
                    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

The other day I was making date nut balls, and I was thinking that it would be a perfect recipe for adding bugs. While skwishing the dates with my fingers they looked so much like mashed bugs that it would be hard to tell the bigger date blobs from the bugs.

Here's the recipe: 5 Tablespoons coconut oil, 12 oz pitted dates, 2 C almond meal, 2 Tablespoons cocoa, plus nuts, shredded coconut, etc. Roll into balls and refrigerate.

I nuke the dates for 30 seconds to soften them enough to roughly smash with my fingers, then I work in the other ingredients by hand. (Melt the coconut oil first.) I usually add something for crunch, so I'm trying to work up the courage to one day get a package of crickets or mealworms from the frozen food dept. of my local Asia market.

Comment

Yeah. I'd eat bugs. I think the only reason I haven't yet is bothering to find out where I could get some (or if the big ass grasshoppers we get here in the summer are edible) and figuring out how to cook them.

Comment

Sure they are Nortiluca!

Fry them up in a wok, with oil, till they're crunchy. Add a bit of salt to taste, if desired. As you eat, (use your fingers) remove the legs - on the bigger crickets or grasshoppers the hairs on the legs can get stuck in the throat - so they are removed and discarded.

Comment

I'd try them if a knowledgeable person told me which ones were safe and which ones weren't.

It reminds me of that scene from Lion King. Hakuna Matata!

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                              Oh god! I know that smell!!!

The rotten stench of Korean silkworm larvae, boiling in those big vats by the side of the road, has GOT to be the worst smell on earth!
                              Have you ever smelled durian fruit?..
                              That totally turns my stomach every time!
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                              X