Trouble with bodyfat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with bodyfat.

Hi. I've been putting on some bodyfat ove the past month or so and wondering how this is happening. I IF everyday for an 18 hour block and have been keeping my diet regulated tightly. I am a 6 foot, 180 lbs male, 22 years old pretty lean, but have a good deal of bodyfat I want to get rid of. I have not been excersising for sometime now(very sedentary had a couple leg surgeries within the past few months and very slow rehab), but my diet I believe has been dialed in. The only thing I can think of is maybe I am eating too many calories for my activity level, but I don't think this is the case. So my diet is as follows...

Meal one about 12pm- Bacon and Eggs/1 tsp olive oil

Meal 2 about anywhere from 4-6pm- 4 small chicken thighs, 4 medium drumsticks, 3-4 cups of broccoli or brusselsprouts

On average that comes out to about 1800 cals, 170g p, 105g f, 25-30g c I also take about 5g fish oil, a multivitamin, and vitamin D daily

I've really been dialed in on my diet because I'm so sedentary at this point (cant wait to workout again), just not sure what I need to be doing to lose that body fat? Some help would be great!

For more Paleo hacks: Increased Bodyfat - Paleo Hacks.com

It could be the stress from injury and surgeries. I would not limit my eating window so much every day - increasing meal frequency, at least for a few days out of the week might be helpful. Also, 1800 calories is not very much food for a guy your size and age. So maybe you should add a full sized meal for a few days of the week. When you're recovering, it's important to not put additional stresses on your body (calorie restriction, low meal frequency). It makes sense that your body would be putting fat on.

Comment

I second that. I eat 200 more cals than you every day and weight 110 lbs. Eat more!

Comment

I dont second getting rid of the eating window. But I would try to cycle calories more (eat more on lifting days, less on rest days), and lift HEAVY things. Also sprint weekly.
        Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I don't see him sprinting any time soon with having "a couple of leg surgeries in the last couple months"........

Yeah, I think you need to ditch the IF - you're healing right now and your body needs the cals to do that, even if you
          only up them a couple hundred.

Also, since you ARE sedentary at the moment, your body prolly gets that big whack of food and goes "whoa! this is too
          much for RIGHT NOW, but not ENOUGH in the grand scheme of things, so let's use some for what I'm doing RIGHT NOW,
          then conserve the rest", i.e. send it to the fat stores.

That's just my personal opinion though.... and experience with undereating and IF.

Eating once a day and low cals = more belly fat for me. BOOOOOOOO!

Good luck, and hope you heal up right quick!

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
            I don't see him sprinting any time soon with having "a couple of leg surgeries in the last couple months"........
            You can "sprint" in the water..swimming. You could also still lift heavy things (upper body)
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

See what you can do for weight lifting--bench press, military press, weighted dips and weighted chins will all get you plenty worked without involving your legs.

Sprinting in the pool as mentioned above is a good option, and you will probably be able to get on a bike before you can run--so try doing sprints on an exercise bike (or a real bike) when you can. No excuse to do nothing at all!

EDIT: same goes for "move slowly" too--if you can get on a bike or in a pool, you can get plenty of low-level movement in there as well.
              Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-18-2011, 03:12 PM.
              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will try to get a more adequate amount of calories and make healing my body the first priority. I can always cut the bf when I am healthy again. To the replies about "not doing anything is not acceptable", try having 2 hip sugeries with a 2 month span, one on either side. Very painful, and very restricted mobility. No weight bearing for 4-6 weeks. Trust me I am a former college athlete, I am itching to become active again. Would love to toss some heavy weight around, run some sprints, or go for a five mile hike!

Comment

I am going to guess that you are underestimating your calories. If you are eating 1800 calories you shouldn't be gaining any weight. And to address what other people are saying, if you eat more calories you are just going to put on more body fat. 1800 calories is not a starving amount or anything. Eating low calories is really only an issue when it is mixed with heavy exercise. You should be losing weight at 1800 calories, even without exercise. I really think that you are not calculating your intake correctly.
                  Last edited by jimhensen; 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Eating low calories is an issue for anyone when they are doing it for long periods of time, unopposed by periods of surplus or at least sufficient calories. You'd be surprised how few calories you can gain belly fat on.

Comment

Hip surgeries at 22 that's a bugger.
                      Eat other meats rather than chicken. Eat loads of salad/low carb veg with your meats and easy on the fat.

Comment

Oh, I didn't realize it was your hips. That really sucks. I thought it was your knee or something for some reason. That does make it harder...

Well, you'll know what you're capable of better than we do.
                        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I feel your pain... well not personally, but my husband had his hips done a couple years ago at 41 years old..... he was a MLB player
                          which got him into the whole mess (the pitcher, lotsa twisting day in/day out for HOURS) and the surgery was NASTY. Egads, I know
                          they say that knees are worse to recover from, but, where the fresh hell are you going without any hips? NOWHERE. To the bathroom?
                          Think again. Out front? Hell no. Into the car? Dream ON. It's BED TIME for like, EVER.

I know, because I was his nursemaid.

It was not pretty. Seriously.... NO TOILET... if you catch my discofunky.

I keep telling him that he SO OWES ME when I'm 90 and I get MY hips done. Bwahahahahhaa!

Okay, so, anyway, hope you heal up lickety split, and even after you do, there will be no deadlifting or squats
                          for you anymore. No running either, but you can still do limited movement on the leg press, and you can
                          still do upper body and cardio. My husband has a love hate relationship with the step mill - and it doesn't
                          bother his hips at all. The elliptical does though - which I find hilarious, because I hate that machine and I just
                          find it ironic that it's supposed to be the "least impactful", but makes a 3 year old surgery/injury hurt. WHATEVER.

SO! Heal up! Eat up! REAL FOODS, ADEQUATE CALORIES and NO BOOZE.

Sorry for the diatribe... I've had waaaaay too much coffee this morning!

Julie

Comment

I agree with the other posters not to IF or limit your intake during times of recovery. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, vitamin C, and zinc for rebuilding. Get rid of the olive oil and use real butter, coconut oil, or real lard for cooking. Olive oil can contribute to weight gain/stall because of the med-long chain fatty acids. Butter, coconut oil, lard contain short chain fatty acids that are easily used as energy and not easily stored. Plus they contain good amounts of fat-soluble vitamins your body needs for healing (especially butter). Try Kerrygold... very high quality.

Once you are healed and if still not losing and/or gaining can try the following:
                            "Another option is to supplement with the fat-burning enzyme known as lipase. Taking a high potency enzyme supplement between meals three times per day as far away from food as possible will often help mobilize the fat stores. If you experience a slight feeling of nausea when using these enzymes, taking some bitters two to three times per day will often help clear out the fat breakdown products produced by the enzyme digestion. There are many brands of these enzymes commercially available.

Or a cleansing program might help clear out the liver and jump start the weight loss. Standard Process makes a very good purification program which can be used every six months to initiate the weight loss. It can be obtained through many health care providers."

Losing Weight - Weston A Price Foundation

Comment

Working...
                            X