Putrification!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putrification!!

A friend of mind, who's a medical professional, claims that our digestion system can only digest 5 grams of protein an hour, after which the excess protein is "putrefied."
    Sounds kind of scary, especially since I get about 100grams of protein a day, which would mean I'd be one big sack of putrid protein.
    Anybody knows about this?

Are you one big sack of putrid protein?
    No?
    Then you're fine

Ask him/her their definition of "putrified" - if they mean "broken down" then how does that differ from digestion? Do they mean pure protein, or protein food (50g protein =/= 50g steak)?
    Sounds like some of those vegetarian/vegan "facts" that get thrown around.

Comment

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Are we meat eaters or vegetarians? Part II

The gist is that to compensate for our energy-hungry large brains our GI tracts had to become relatively smaller (relative to other animals and primates our same size.) There is a mathematical formula that corresponds to animal size and metabolic rate so we are limited by those parameters when considering the size and energy expenditure of our various organs. Our big brains REQUIRE our GI tracts to be smaller. And, the only way our small GI tracts can provide us enough energy to fuel our bodies at the size they are is to fuel them with high-quality food: fat and animal protein.

The whole putrification nonsense is one of those silly made-up vegetarian myths. I have absolutely no issue with eating vegetarian food, I like vegetarian food, but the made-up stuff is silly and should be ignored.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm aware of the brain-gut ratio issue, but the question is, if we really can not digest more than a certain quantity of protein per hour, what happens to the excess protein in our body?
        I've been on the primal/paleo diet for over a year nos, and never felt better. My cholesterol levels though, have never been higher. My doctor even suggested that I took statins (very high LDL) but I ignored that.
        I just wonder if I should eat less protein (and fat) than I do now, and reduce ant harmful effect that I may be creating in my body.
        Appreciate your input!

Comment

K. Monastyrsky (Fiber Menace, Gut Sense) states that ONLY overcooked, denatured proteins turn putrid.
          This is why you get hard, clumpy stools from a dry, well done steak but not from a medium-rare/rare.

Comment

I think the nutrition-knowledge portion of your friend's brain is putrefied.

Comment

Excess dietary protein is converted to muscle or expended as wasted energy or it is converted to glucose which can then be stored as fat. It doesn't just rot away in your intestine. Rather than ask us for proof, why not ask your friend for some proof? While he/she is gathering it for you (not bloody likely), read Dr. Eades' Protein Power and Mark's Primal Blueprint.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

That 5g/hour number is made up. It's not real. It was probably determined by applying a power rule to scale up a rat study or some such nonsense, and it was probably done with pure casein, which is one of the slowest-digested proteins. Even if it was done in humans I bet it was a non-whole food protein source, probably given to people who were not exercising vigorously and who therefore had low protein needs.

I bet I could alter a study like that to show a huge range of protein absorption rates, just by varying the exercise protocols I had the subjects perform beforehand, and the number of hours they had been in the fasted state before eating. That's not even getting into changing the types of protein (whey vs casein, for example) that are being digested.

A flat number like that is also ridiculously stupid because there is no freaking way that a 200lb male absorbs protein at the same rate as a 100lb female. If that was the case, men would not be able to absorb enough protein to build large, muscular physiques, since doing so requires protein intakes often in excess of 200g per day for sustained periods of time. 200g/day is 8.3g/hour, and that's assuming that protein is absorbed uniformly throughout the 24-hour period, which it's not. Absorption peaks a little while after consumption (again depending on the protein source and what else is in the meal), and for that to be the case then the peak absorption rate is probably several times the average rate, especially for faster-absorbing types.

If you DID manage to eat so much protein that your body could not handle it all--which is not easy to do, because protein is extremely satiating--then yes, some of it might end up in your colon, where the *gasp* putrefactive bacteria that live there would *gasp* putrefy it. Which would make it no different or more dangerous than the several grams of *gasp* putrid dead bacteria (which are made largely of protein) that you eliminate every single day, regardless of protein intake. The fact that your poop is made of putrefied stuff is why it is smelly. It doesn't mean it's dangerous, as long as it stays at the far end of your digestive system, which is where it is supposed to be.

Bottom line: your friend either has not bothered, or is not able, to sit down for 2 minutes and think critically about the stupid things she is saying to you. You should tell her to use her brain more.
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ljh View Post
                  i think the nutrition-knowledge portion of your friend's brain is putrefied.
                  lol. +1
                  Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

what happens to the excess protein in our body?
                    Poop!
                    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                      Poop!
                      Also, urine!
                      Also, gluconeogenesis!
                      Also, de novo lipogenesis!

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                        Also, urine!
                        Also, gluconeogenesis!
                        Also, de novo lipogenesis!
                        Hey, forum rule, no big words!!!!!
                        I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                        My Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Fleshetarian View Post
                          A friend of mind, who's a medical professional, claims that our digestion system can only digest 5 grams of protein an hour, after which the excess protein is "putrefied."
                          Sounds kind of scary, especially since I get about 100grams of protein a day, which would mean I'd be one big sack of putrid protein.
                          Anybody knows about this?
                          I'm an editor, so does that mean I can comment about anything that's ever been written? Nope. Medical professional -- with all due respect to your friend -- means fuck-all. A brain surgeon has no more authority to comment on diet-related health issues than a plumber does, to be perfectly frank.

Many societies and cultures have depended and do depend upon meat as their main food intake. Does it make any sense whatsoever that we can only digest 5g of protein per hour? One egg has around 7-10g protein, just FYI. So again... does it make any sense that protein can't be digested? Of course it can. I go for 30-40g of protein as soon as I wake up. The body uses protein, and lots of it.

Out of curiosity, is your friend a vegetarian/vegan?
                          August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Comment

Well check this out too for some perspective: Putrefaction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (putrefaction and putrification are synonyms)

"It can be viewed...as the decomposition of proteins...that results in the eventual breakdown of cohesion between tissues and the liquification of most organs."

So, so what?

Also, it doesn't seem likely even if the OP's given rate were true since actual putrefaction doesn't start until 2–3 days after an organism dies.
                            carl's cave

Comment

IIRC one of the other sources of these "x grams per hour" figures that get thrown around was from studies done on whey protein in a fasted state and came up with ~30g per hour. But really, even that's kinda dubious since whey is digested very quickly, and just protein in a fasted state is so far removed from real world circumstances. Protein digestion as part of a mixed diet is going to be slowed by the presence of dietary fat & fibre and carbs

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                              Many societies and cultures have depended and do depend upon meat as their main food intake. Does it make any sense whatsoever that we can only digest 5g of protein per hour? One egg has around 7-10g protein, just FYI. So again... does it make any sense that protein can't be digested? Of course it can. I go for 30-40g of protein as soon as I wake up. The body uses protein, and lots of it.
                              10g of protein per egg? That seems rather high... What kind of eggs are we referring to here?
                              All the eggs I've seen seem to start at 5g for medium, 6g large, 7g extra large, yet this isn't the first time I've seen people mention 7-11g per egg, what gives?
                              Last edited by Fury; 11-18-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X