No announcement yet.

at my witts end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went cold turkey too. I mean ice-cold turkey...

Hereís what I did. It may work for you. It may not. But itís good to have lots of options to consider.

I started eating primal around August last year. The slowly-slowly approach I decided to use turned into a half-arsed effort because every time I ate any carbs I went on a binge. This went on for a couple of months.

I then remembered the time I did Atkins around 6 years ago (and lost around 25 pounds if I remember right) and the key helper for me was the zero carb two week induction phase. So I did this again. I didnít care if what I ate was primal or not as long as it had zero carbs. I also didnít care about how much I ate, again as long as it had zero carbs. I just wanted to break the carb cravings. That was my goal and I was single minded about it. I didnít stray once for two weeks. And it worked! Iím 100% primal most days since coming out of the induction phase, and even on the days Iím not itís still around 90%.

For some the idea of zero carbs for two weeks is a bit too hardcore, too painful. But actually it isnít, itís quite easy. I made BIG meals and ate everything so I was full most of the time. If I ever felt hungry when I was out I would go into a store, petrol station or whatever was near by and buy a packet ham, salami, turkey breast, pork, pre-cooked chicken, proper cheese, anything, as long as it had no carbs and filled my belly. Iíd wash it down with a bottle of water too.

I ate soooo much during the induction phase but not only did I break my carb addiction, not only did I make my body switch to using fat as its preferred fuel, I also lost a pound! Haha!

Apologies for the long post and I know many seasoned and better educated PBíers may shoot me down for my approach, but I remember feeling so shit about myself, trying to go primal and falling down every couple of days. I remember eating whole boxes of cereal in a day. Filling up the car with fuel and driving away with a large latte and a big bag of donuts. And then feeling even worse about myself.

Feel free to try a different, easier approach. If it works for you then great and welcome aboard. If not then please consider my approach. It worked for me and has changed my life for ever. I canít begin to explain the feeling of freedom when youíre in control of your eating.

Good luck and Iím sure youíll find a way through.

Comment

London Mike, I'd second that idea. Go zero carb day to day. Only water to drink, and as much steak, eggs, bacon, butter, lamb, fish, crab, lobster, fowl a person can stand. Eat all you want, feel like a snack, do it, reach for the bacon. Two weeks of this and you are a fat burner and ready to rock. Give it a shot!

Avoid the little "acceptable" things like nuts and cheese. While fine for Primal eating, they are very calorie dense and easy easy easy to over do it on. Down a big bag of pistachios and you could be in the hole 30g of carbs without even noticing it. But instead, eat a bunch of bacon or fish, for zero carbs.

You can do it!

Comment

Why dont you Fast for the next 24 hours? That will reset your body, control your insulin and get rid of the cravings, then you can resume eating primal.

Comment

Hi KarieV - glad to hear you're sick of food obsession. That alone helped me tons! Simple things like keeping non-primal foods out of the house, helped, too. I also took chromium nicotinate to help take the edge off carb cravings. That was a big help, too. Good luck & stick with that attitude!

Comment

Dr. Harris posted a great list to ease someone into better food choices. It's a heirarchy of things to cut out.

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

Cold turkey can be rough, but sometimes worth the trouble. It's up to you to decide what is the best way to go. Knowing you have a problem is a good start to taking charge of your life.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
            Current weight: 199
            Goal: 145

Comment

Your body is an amazing machine, just been giving it the wrong fuel. Best of luck and all the advice above is great. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, I recommend downloading "Lose It". Unfortunately it's based on the faulty calories in/calories out diet weight loss philosophy, but I just use it for tracking carbs.

Comment

@Kariev34

I didn't need to count carbs, to lose my weight.

The only thing that I did was to have zero carb periods. Sometimes I would eat only a grilled chicken as dinner, sometimes I would eat only fried eggs for breakfast.

That is all that you need to keep your insulin down for a long time. To lose fat you will have to let your insulin down.

The other important thing to do is stop snacking. Don't let your insulin spike all the time. The first thing you must do is to make sure that you eat nothing between your 3 meals a day. Everything comes later. Once you have fixed that you will find that you can proceed to the next step, ie skipping meals and IF.

Comment

I also went cold turke and experienced chronic flu like symtoms serious fatigue, awful headaches, tremors shakes, muscle aches, and some vomiting and nausea. This went on for almost two weeks all went away and I felt normal again. So about 10 or 11 days total for me. Forgot to add that I started my cold turkey with a 2-day fast

Comment

"Just now i ate 4 huge bowls of raisen bran cereal, 1 large bagel with PB. I feel like the whole day is ruined" - if that makes you feel bad, go to bathroom and throw it up (it is bad thing to do as well, but sometimes a comparatively benign option), then fast for some time, and then start a new life from a scratch saying farewell to your old self, and embracing your new one

you wrote that you work out hard, so think whether those long bouts of physical exertion worth fleeting satisfaction you get from eating tasty but crappy stuff? imagine how would you want your body look like, and ask yourself honestly what eating regime (primal/paleo or crappy/junk) would help you achieve it, if you care about your appearance the answer will be clear

or search for "fat people", look at them, and ask yourself if you would like to look like them, and i guess the answer would be negative

Comment

thanks everyone for all the support and tips. Last night i had an amazing salad with grilled chicken and raw almonds with some oil and vinegar dressing. So today is officially day one. I'm going to post each day on here as i go through this. My mom has decided to do this with me. She's been on weight watchers without success even though calorie wise she's not eating much. Anyways, this a.m. i had 1 cup egg whites, 1 egg, scrambled with a bunch of spinach and 1Tbsp olive oil. I also had real cream in my coffee (which tasted sooooo amazing and so much better then the diet processed sh**). So right now i feel like i'm missing something with breakfast b/c i usually eat 2 slices of ezikiel cinnamin raisen bread but i do feel full which i never did with my other breakfast even though it contained the same amount of cals but more carbs.

Comment

I see that you've got one whole egg in there...but why the cup of egg whites? All the nummy stuff is in the yolks and the fat will keep you satisfied longer.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

The key learning is to not fear saturated fat and cholesterol. And fearing anything that is processed.

So don't do egg whites, unless yolks don't agree with you. Also it would be better to use butter or ghee in place of olive oil. Olive oil is not bad, but not as good.

Comment

got it, more whole eggs, thanks. though i'm not a big fan of butter. i don't like the taste so thats why i did olive oil

Comment

also, try coconut oil if you haven't already. It's really nice to cook with.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

HA ha! Silly Sclesca, NO ONE can negotiate with a 4 yr old! ;-D

Comment

Working...
                                X