Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOOHOO I COULD EAT MEAT AGAIN!!! Kelp Noodles??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onalark View Post
    They don't really taste like anything. When boiled I would compare them, texture wise, to yam or konnyaku noodles.

I haven't tried the kelp noodles, but I just wanted to say that if the texture is like the shiritake (yam noodles), then to me, the texture is like
    a sauteed mushroom. A little spongy, but biteable... meaning, you don't have to chew it forever to get it to break apart.

I love the shiritake noodles... and they're on sale right now at Lucky's (at least here in NorCal) for 1.49 a bag.

Anyway, just sayin'.

Julie

Comment

You can soak them in lemon juice and salt while you're working on the rest of your prep (~15 minutes), and then they won't even have that spongy-ness. I eat kelp noodles all the time, either raw or cooked. They have no fishy taste (no taste whatsoever).
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I bought a bag from my local asian food place... they are pretty much taste free. I felt like I was eating plastic. I'd rather have spaghetti squash or not eat spaghetti than eat kelp noodles again.

Comment

I don't love the texture of kelp noodles, but when my husband went low-carb, he absolutely loved them as substitute rice noodles for pho. They don't really have a taste - they just suck up the flavor of whatever you pair them with.

You can buy them at my local Whole Foods, might be easier for some than mail order.

Comment

Originally posted by tcb View Post
            I bought a bag from my local asian food place... they are pretty much taste free. I felt like I was eating plastic. I'd rather have spaghetti squash or not eat spaghetti than eat kelp noodles again.
            Gotta soak. Yah, they are funky if no soak.
            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
            X