Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post for the Ladies: Increased Hunger during "that time of the month"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Post for the Ladies: Increased Hunger during "that time of the month"

    ME WANT FOOD!!!!

    Ok so Ive been Primal for over a month now (inspired to lose fat at first but now know this is my lifestyle for health and wellbeing after doing a lot of reading and really believing)....

    I am usually SO disciplined and really its not been THAT hard - food became fuel in my mind and I wasnt craving anything or overthinking what I was going to eat - I celebrated my freedom from food by buying smaller clothes and feeling better about myself etc. I did go through a hellish carb flu and also got really sick with pneaumonia as well so there was bad with the good....

    I have since recovered from my sickness and am now ready to start lifting heavy and sprinting (am already doing lots of slow frequent movement).

    In the meantime "that time of the month" showed up and MAN have I been extra hungry.... I havent been giving in too much but small things i have noticed are - im not satisfied from breakfast until 2 or 3pm anymore... i am eating around 12.30pm AND im not naturally wanting to IF from lunch until breakfast the next day probably partly becuase of the earlier lunch ... I love IF'ing because it made me feel so clear and light....... Also I have been having a few carb cravings and just thinking of food more and generally "feeling" my hunger more...

    I have NO idea why this happens and will have to see if it happens again next month or indeed estops after "that time of the month" is over for this month.... there is no other change factor to consider - same food same movement smaller body......

    I know hormones are a complex topic so maybe this is why...

    How have all you other Grokettes felt during this time of month?? Any tips??
    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

  • #2
    I always get that way about a week to a few days before "it begins" lol. I would just gorge, be insatiable and not understand why until "it began", then I'd be like "ohhhhhh I see" not sure why it happens, maybe we just need more calories?? maybe eat more fat?

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the longer you're primal, the less effect you'll see. I've been primal for nearly 2 years now and I don't have much in the way of symptoms around that time of the month (although it all comes back when I "slip"). No cravings, no bloating, no cramps, no tender boobs.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not super into tracking my calories, but I did so for a while when I was transitioning to primal. My daily consumption is usually around 1800 to 2200 calories, but a few days before that time of the month, I will literally eat 3000 to 4000. I'm not in this to lose weight, and I've always noticed increased appetite just before "it starts," but I never realized it was that much of an increase. It's also about the only time I really feel like snacking anymore.

        Personally, I just try to keep the food I'm eating whole, healthy, and primal when my appetite really kicks in once a month. If I'm snacking on meat, veggies, eggs, and fruit I know that at least I'm getting some good nutrients. Before going primal, I would eat whole boxes of crackers and bags of chips during the same timeframe. Now going off the deep end means eating a bowl full of raw almonds or something.

        Comment


        • #5
          While there is really no cramping, minimal bloating, no tenderness, I do have an insatiable appetite the few days leading up to Moontime. I also tend to eat stuff I normally wouldn't go for- like slathering things with mayo, mustard, and/or hot sauce. Very fatty, spicy foods- lol.

          Comment


          • #6
            Me too! My experience has been very similar, Kitty Kat. (As a side note, I've always had painful periods and I always craved red meat during AF before primal but I avoided it because everything I read told me that high fat foods would make cramps worse. D'oh! I'm not finding this to be the case now that I'm eating primally.) But I'm noticing that I'm much hungrier and I think my body is just trying to tell me it wants some extra nutrition, so I'm going with it. I haven't really had carb cravings, though, touch wood - just more food.
            My True Primal Story

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually, it is normal, because you use up a little more calories when you have your TOM/losing blood. So, you are hungrier. You can try dandelion chicory root tea and broth, and see what foods agree with you the best. It might just be the day for a sweet potato or banana
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by spughy View Post
                I think the longer you're primal, the less effect you'll see. I've been primal for nearly 2 years now and I don't have much in the way of symptoms around that time of the month (although it all comes back when I "slip"). No cravings, no bloating, no cramps, no tender boobs.
                I hope your right hun! I dont want to start obsessing about food but am feeling slightly concerned...doing well today though - more levelled out and no dinner tonight so feeling good.
                Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                  I'm not super into tracking my calories, but I did so for a while when I was transitioning to primal. My daily consumption is usually around 1800 to 2200 calories, but a few days before that time of the month, I will literally eat 3000 to 4000. I'm not in this to lose weight, and I've always noticed increased appetite just before "it starts," but I never realized it was that much of an increase. It's also about the only time I really feel like snacking anymore.

                  Personally, I just try to keep the food I'm eating whole, healthy, and primal when my appetite really kicks in once a month. If I'm snacking on meat, veggies, eggs, and fruit I know that at least I'm getting some good nutrients. Before going primal, I would eat whole boxes of crackers and bags of chips during the same timeframe. Now going off the deep end means eating a bowl full of raw almonds or something.
                  Your right on there - my increased consumption is all primal but I could go easy on the nuts. and WOW on the increase in your noted calories!!!!
                  Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Actually, it is normal, because you use up a little more calories when you have your TOM/losing blood. So, you are hungrier. You can try dandelion chicory root tea and broth, and see what foods agree with you the best. It might just be the day for a sweet potato or banana
                    Thanks Leida! I will try those suggestions especially the tea....
                    Back on the horse... YEEEHAAA!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have the same 'problem'. I get huge sugar cravings a few days before. And often also the first few days during.
                      It does tend to become less of a problem for me if i'm more strict with my food.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The week before I'm like a hoover vacuum.
                        Start Weight: 265.8
                        Current Weight: 234.4
                        Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good post! I've noticed less cramps - I still have them (red raspberry leaf tea assists) but they are less... lighter flow... no bloating... less "bluesy" emotionally... and overall just easier. Only 2nd time since going primal so I figure it'll just get easier and better? Glad to hear from others... I hadn't noticed eating more but I had a couple days where I pigged out on nuts and craved chocolate more than usual... bet it was right before.... will have to go back and check my food journal.... however, I didn't worry too much since I stayed true to primal... even if I ate more from the top of the pyramid for a couple days....
                          We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've tried to remind myself that part of this journey is about just eating when I'm truly hungry and not eating for other reasons. The hardest thing to learn and accept is that sometimes I'm hungry when I think I'm not supposed to be. In other words, the hard part sometimes is actually listening and accepting my true hunger. Sometimes it's easier to be disordered in my eating like I've always been, "punishing" myself and ruminating over my "failures". I'm not more of a success during those times of the month when going with less food is easier and I'm not a failure during those times of the month when I am truly hungrier. I'm not a machine, I'm a woman.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have this problem too and it drives me nuts! i can always tell when it is my time of the month because i always get so hungry for crap food i don't even want or really like. I still have not figured out how to "fix" it! I even try all the things your supposed to do when cravings hit. I distract myself, go for a walk, drink water etc. but it only seems to work less than half the time. I usually cave in even though I don't really want to.
                              I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

                              You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X