Not getting sick while primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting sick while primal

Just curious if everyone that eats less than 50g of carbs per day never gets common colds or flu?

D3 is a much bigger factor than carb intake.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

I am onto my second nasty cold in 3 weeks - and I haven't had colds for years! I eat less than 25 grams of carbs. I am extremely deficient in D3 according to blood tests but was even in the years I didn't have colds LOL.

Comment

Wish I could say it was true for me, but I never really got them before either.
        Durp.

Comment

Believe it or not, getting sick is an indicator of a good immune system. It's not the germs that cause the symptoms, but your body's reaction to it. The stronger the reaction, the harder your body's working at getting rid of it. People who seemingly don't "get sick" often are being exposed to the same amount of germs, their body is just to weak to do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
            Believe it or not, getting sick is an indicator of a good immune system. It's not the germs that cause the symptoms, but your body's reaction to it. The stronger the reaction, the harder your body's working at getting rid of it. People who seemingly don't "get sick" often are being exposed to the same amount of germs, their body is just to weak to do anything about it.
            Source?
            Lifting Journal

Comment

I rarely ever got colds when I ate SAD or Primal. If I caught something, it lasted a day or two. These were in times where I was extremely stressed which always brings down my immunity. My kids are the same way as me, but hubby catches more bugs in a years time.

I didn't start taking D3 until about a month ago. My carbs are around 40-60. Once in a while higher.

Comment

Or their immune systems just kick ass.

I'm around dirt and filth all day, and as a kid I was encouraged to play in the dirt. Same thing with my kids. We just rarely get sick because we've been there, done that, already built up the immunity.
                Durp.

Comment

I've actually had a lingering cold for about 3 weeks. I've been clean primal for 6.5 weeks now.
                  I do take D3 made with organic coconut oil, 6000 IU per day, every day, all winter. I start mid-September every year.
                  Usually, colds and flu do not enter this house. I have two school aged children and I drive school bus. We had zero colds and zero flu last year.
                  Perhaps, the primal diet is cleaning up certain immune system issues. OR I need to cut out the dairy as its more of a mucuous issue than a "cold".
                  I digress... what was the question?
                  Oh yah! Carb intake is about 60-75. Weekends is closer to 100. I feel good and I'm losing approx 2.5 lbs per week.
                  Wow, I'm way off topic today. Nevermind, take the comment for what it is. blah blah blah...
                  Last edited by shmee; 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM.
                  Start Weight: 265.8
                  Current Weight: 234.4
                  Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                    Or their immune systems just kick ass.

I'm around dirt and filth all day, and as a kid I was encouraged to play in the dirt. Same thing with my kids. We just rarely get sick because we've been there, done that, already built up the immunity.
                    I suppose for antibodies that's the case. I guess what I said applies more for newly introduced bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                      Source?
                      For what? The phlegm, inflammation, etc, it's an immune response.
                      Last edited by Bosnic; 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I've been Primal eight months and haven't had more than a slightly scratchy throat in that time. I work with musicians (filthy creatures!) and I used to get sick every couple of months.

I'm curious to see how long this lasts.

Comment

I had a slight sinus infection last month, I stopped eating yogurt and it cleared up quickly. I havent been sick yet but dont usually get sick that often anyways... so we'll see I've only been Primal since April
                          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

well i haven't been sick since 1993, and this was before i went primal.

Comment

For what? The phlegm, inflammation, etc, it's an immune response.
                              I understand that. But pathogens should never get that far.
                              Lifting Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X