Alternative to microwave for reheating food

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to microwave for reheating food

I'm trying to stop using my microwave. Can anyone recommend a good alternative to quickly reheat leftovers other than using the over? I was looking into getting a NuWave, are these a good alternative?

Thanks

I use my toaster oven frequently for re-heating left-overs. It does take longer than a microwave, but less time than the oven.

Comment

I heat most things in my toaster oven and use the stovetop for things like soups and stir-fries. Our microwave bit the dust last year, and after I shanghi'ed the toaster oven from my parents' house I haven't really missed having a microwave.

Comment

This guy named Dave Asprey has a lot of good stuff on his site: The Bulletproof Executive. He suggests using a Flavorwave oven, which you can find here:

Amazon.com: Secura Halogen Infrared Turbo Convection Countertop Oven, Deluxe Package W/extender Ring;tong;cook Racks 777MH: Kitchen & Dining

He even has a podcast where he's talked about this before, you should check it out

Podcast #7: Low-Carb Diets with Adam Kosloff | The Bulletproof Executive

Comment

Depends on the meal, but I usually use a frying pan to reheat (in more fat).

Just curious, you know that there's nothing unhealthy about using a microwave, right?
          I created PaleoTrack - A Food Journal Designed for The Primal Blueprint

Comment

+1 for reheating soups in a pot on the stove. They get hotter all the way through which adds to the deliciousness; especially if there's a lot of animal fat in the soup.
            Prodistat
            Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Comment

I use a pot or pan on the stove or a steamer.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I use a cast iron pan and some more fat to reheat meats(I sometimes cover with a cast iron lid. I also use the stovetop to reheat stews or braises in a cast iron coquet. Cast iron and a high output gas stove can put some microwaves to shame on the even heat department.
                Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  I either steam or fry to reheat anything(no microwave).
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

stove top when appropriate, toaster oven for everything else. We went 7 years without a microwave and just got one back. I kind of like them again.

Comment

No microwaving here, either. I just use the stovetop. Turns out when you warm up a chicken breast by steaming it, rather than nuking it, it comes out fall-apart tender.
                      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I don't know, I keep reading things that argue both sides so I don't know what to believe. But when in doubt I feel like it never hurts to play it safe.

Originally posted by crogagnon View Post
                        Just curious, you know that there's nothing unhealthy about using a microwave, right?

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Yup, or a toaster oven. I've lived without a microwave for 15 months after 25 years with them. No big deal.

Comment

put it on a fire, like grok

Comment

I love people's reactions when I tell them I don't have a microwave.

o.O

Truth is, there is no fast food in my kitchen- on purpose. One of three things happens. 1) I make time to make (or re-heat food), 2) I eat it cold, or 3) I skip the meal. But that's just me- lol

Comment

Working...
                              X