Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Least of 2 Evils?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Least of 2 Evils?

    What's less bad:
    -no carb artifiical jell-os
    -jello made with ~ 1/4 cup freshly squeezed unsweetened cranberry or grapefruit juice and stevia? with sugar/carbs from juice?

    I know both should be avoided, but I can't exist without sweets, period.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  • #2
    the most evil is the no carb artificial jello.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dado View Post
      the most evil is the no carb artificial jello.
      Agreed.

      Are you making your own? Buy your own gelatin, add stevia, throw strawberries or cranberries in a blender, add water, mix. You can make a gallon of jello that way with the whole gallon having like 15g of carbs.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

      Comment


      • #4
        Depends on your goals and your circumstances. If you are trying to lose weight obviously the no carb artificial jello is better. If your weight is not an issue use which ever you prefer. Artificial sweeteners are fine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
          Depends on your goals and your circumstances. If you are trying to lose weight obviously the no carb artificial jello is better. If your weight is not an issue use which ever you prefer. Artificial sweeteners are fine.
          If you like to bloat, increase your insulin resistance and you don't care about putting chemical toxins in your body, yes, artificial sweeteners are fine. But you'll see less adverse effects making jello the way I suggested.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, I am making my own. I was making it with lemon juice, since lemon juice was never prohibited by anyone, but I really want fruitier flavor. I was going to steep 1/4 cup of cranberries overnight and use that juice to make jello with Stevia. It is 11 calories and 3 g carb from cranberries. Grapefruit is too high in carbs, so it is out. Is it too much sugar, and will it screw up with not having fruit on the Depletion days? Or are cranberries more like lemon, not really a fruit? What about lime?
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Yes, I am making my own. I was making it with lemon juice, since lemon juice was never prohibited by anyone, but I really want fruitier flavor. I was going to steep 1/4 cup of cranberries overnight and use that juice to make jello with Stevia. It is 11 calories and 3 g carb from cranberries. Grapefruit is too high in carbs, so it is out. Is it too much sugar, and will it screw up with not having fruit on the Depletion days? Or are cranberries more like lemon, not really a fruit? What about lime?
              According to Lyle, if you're at 50g of carbs, it won't matter much on your insulin if you get the carbs from kale or a sweet potato. I tend to disagree and would rather avoid all fruit and starch on those days, but I doubt your body will notice 3g of carbs from cranberries or 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Why not just buy lemon extract? Throw a teaspoon of that into the jello.

              Bear in mind I really feel you have a sugar addiction. I use stevia, but I don't feel the need to have sugar very often. I think you're using it as a crutch. You don't "need" to have sugar. It's totally psychological. I make a lot of baked stuff for these refeeds, but I don't feel like I have to. I just do it for convenience to take to work and to get the carbs in fewer sittings. If I were you, I'd make a conscious effort to go 30 days with a lick of sugar or sugar substitute to see if it kicks.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

              Comment


              • #8
                You might be better off picking a more beneficial sweet, like a homemade banana ice cream or coconut milk sorbet.

                Also you may want to consider your sugar addiction in a more serious light, but maybe that's just me.
                Depression Lies

                Comment


                • #9
                  use gelatine and real fruit juice. Low carb and a way better alternative to the store bought stuff.
                  --Trish (Bork)
                  TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                  http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                  FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You might be better off picking a more beneficial sweet, like a homemade banana ice cream or coconut milk sorbet.

                    Also you may want to consider your sugar addiction in a more serious light, but maybe that's just me
                    I don't crave just sweets (and don't crave ice-cream, chocolate, etc). It's fruit that I really like, the sweet-sour, crunchy, fragrant feel of it, not dairy, bananas or coconut milk. I also can't do dairy on depletion days, and a 1/4 cup of coconut milk is too much bother by accomodating all the fat with all the low fat proteins, for its bland taste I only fall for other sweets when I am prohibited from fruit (the carb-up day, when fructose is not allowed).

                    The fruit avoidance does not go well when I am on a very-low calories days. I am developping an aversion to yet more meat or fish or egg whites. I get as much variety as I can build in into low carb veggies, but it's still not fruit. I am starting to think about maybe going vegan for a few months.... So tired of limiting fruit.
                    Last edited by Leida; 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      According to Lyle, if you're at 50g of carbs, it won't matter much on your insulin if you get the carbs from kale or a sweet potato. I tend to disagree and would rather avoid all fruit and starch on those days, but I doubt your body will notice 3g of carbs from cranberries or 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Why not just buy lemon extract? Throw a teaspoon of that into the jello.

                      Bear in mind I really feel you have a sugar addiction. I use stevia, but I don't feel the need to have sugar very often. I think you're using it as a crutch. You don't "need" to have sugar. It's totally psychological. I make a lot of baked stuff for these refeeds, but I don't feel like I have to. I just do it for convenience to take to work and to get the carbs in fewer sittings. If I were you, I'd make a conscious effort to go 30 days with a lick of sugar or sugar substitute to see if it kicks.
                      I agree 100%, as a recovering sugar addict. It would be WAY better to eliminate for 30 days so you can KICK the addiction. Then fruit will taste very sweet to you and you can have some here and there as needed. If I am ever getting too crazy I always go back to 100% elimination and it does the trick every time! Its a psychological addiction... you need to heal first, not get a crutch.
                      Primal since March 2011

                      Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sugar addiction is not psychological. Even mainstream science accepts that these days. A little basic info Fatty Foods Addictive as Cocaine in Growing Body of Science - Bloomberg. (ignore the dumb title)
                        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

                        Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

                        Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

                        "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                        Harold Whitman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          its both physical and psychological, but the addiction can be broken just like it can be broken to crack cocaine addicts. I treat it like an alcoholic would treat his alcohol addiction.
                          Primal since March 2011

                          Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                            Sugar addiction is not psychological. Even mainstream science accepts that these days. A little basic info Fatty Foods Addictive as Cocaine in Growing Body of Science - Bloomberg. (ignore the dumb title)
                            I strongly disagree with this premise. People confuse a body craving carbohydrate for a body craving sugar IMO. There are times where I absolutely NEED carbohydrate due to my strenuous activity or I just feel absolutely horrible. Sometimes, that fill manifest as a simple sugar craving. However, if I will that sugar craving with white rice, sweet potatoes or corn bread, the sugar craving goes away. Your body just manifests a carbohydrate craving in the simplest ways, and there isn't anything much simpler than sugar...plus it's very difficult to crave starch. It doesn't have much taste. That's how my body works, anyway.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Actually, I am just going to micro some spaghetti squash with egg whites, Stevia and cinnamon. As for sugar addiction, I happen to love fruit. (Shrug) That's my sin. I don't smoke, drink or have sex all that often, and it never was whatever they try to show in the Sex and the City, some crazy BIG THING. I also have no time, money or friends for social life of my choice. People without sin are dead people as Firefly taught us. I tried going cold turkey on fruit when I did anabolic diet, and ended up hugging a jar of peanut butter, and having trouble stopping at 1/4 cup of it, and depressed out of my mind. I think a normal diet has a place for one apple or a grapefruit a day, and some berries. I don't even like the real sweet flavors, it's the crunchy, juicy sourer fruit that I actually like the most.
                              Last edited by Leida; 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X