COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COOKING WITH Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter

We all know how popular cocoa butter and shea butter are for moisturizing skin and hair, but does anyone here actually cook with the two? After doing very brief research, I can't figure out why they aren't more popular. Let's start with cocoa butter.

Cocoa Butter (1 Tbsp)
    13.5g Total Fat
    8.1g SFA (60%)
    4.4g MUFA (33%)
    0.4g PUFA (3%)

Cocoa butter is also rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin E.

Now, onto shea butter.

Shea Butter

16:0 Palmitic 4.0
    18:0 Stearic 41.5
    18:1 Oleic 46.4
    18:2 Linoleic 6.6
    20:0 Arachidic 1.3

If memory serves, palmitic and stearic are SFA's, Oleic is a MUFA and linoleic and arachidic are PUFA's. That makes shea butter break down as:

45.5% SFA
    46.4% MUFA
    7.9% PUFA

Shea butter is rich in beta carotene, is known for its phenolic compounds, has been used in Africa as a cooking oil for centuries and is sometimes used in Europe to make chocolate.

Raw food grade cocoa butter can be found here for $17/lb shipped.

Shea butter is very inexpensive and 2.3 pounds of food grade shea butter can be had here for $18 shipped.

For $35, I can get shea butter and cocoa butter, all food grade. They sure have great fatty acid profiles. Why aren't we using them to cook with? Is there anything stopping us? Surely someone here has used them before?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Oil, vegetable, cocoa butter
    Cocoa Butter Nutrition | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Shea Butter: Fair Trade, Unrefined Shea Butter and African Black Soap
    Information On Shea Butter | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

cocoa butter is very very hard. unless you get a brick of it and a slicer, good luck because just spooning some out of a jar would be a workout. unless you got deodorized it would be better suited towards chocolately desserts cause it smells like a giant tub of cocoa

iiii... don't really know why you'd want to eat shea :/ unrefined smells horrible
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

That's really expensive at $1.17/oz. I get organic virgin coconut oil for under $0.37/oz.

Comment

I use cocoa butter when I make my coconut & Dark chocolate truffles... haven't made them in a while.. I've found its hard to get the right amount I need off the block I've got... its kinda a PITA.... but it tastes like unsweetened white chocolate... as for shea butter... I just mix it w/CO and slather it on my body!
        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
        SW 190lb
        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
        GW ~135lbs
        5'3"
        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

OMG cocoa butter sounds delish! Could you just eat it off a spoon as a treat instead of, say, 85% dark chocolate?

Comment

i don't see why not

then again i don't know how it tastes, i just made soap with it
            beautiful
            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

Comment

It smells like chocolate but it tastes like chocolate only after you add cocoa, lots of cocoa. It's not my idea of a treat, of course it may well be someone elses... And in my experience it's pretty expensive ($35 Australian per 500g pack). It'd be less hassle and less expensive to just buy a good chocolate... IMHO.
              Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
              Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
              Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
              Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

I want to try frying in it. How could sweet potatoes fried in cocoa butter not be delicious? It's basically frying with sugar free white chocolate.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

i can go to any number of stores in town and buy organic, unrefined coconut oil. i've searched far and wide, and can only get organic food-grade cocoa butter online. i bet sweet potato fried in cocoa butter would be fabulous. i'd like to get some cocoa butter for making chocolates.
                  my primal journal:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I'm getting bored with coconut oil. I have plenty of it and it lasts forever. Cocoa butter's fatty acid profile is pretty darn good - much better than nearly any fat I've seen. I may take the plunge.

Comment

good luck. i can barely afford the food that i do use, no way i'd consider switching to something more expensive because what i have is acceptable. let us know how it goes!
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Bwa-haha, big guy. Try to work with cocoa butter for very long. You will discover what all the chocolatiers know and what others have said: it's a PITA. And not as versatile as you might think for a wide range of foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                          good luck. i can barely afford the food that i do use, no way i'd consider switching to something more expensive because what i have is acceptable. let us know how it goes!
                          It's $18 for a pound of the stuff. With the amount of cooking fat I use, a pound of butter alone lasts several months and that's 20% water. I think it took me 3 months to finish an 8oz bar of Kerrygold. I'll get 6+ months out of a 54 oz container of coconut oil. That $18 cocoa butter will last months and months, so $3 per month is pretty cheap to me. The only cooking fat I really use with any decent speed is olive oil, and a 64oz container will last many months as well.
                          Originally posted by greensleeves View Post
                          Bwa-haha, big guy. Try to work with cocoa butter for very long. You will discover what all the chocolatiers know and what others have said: it's a PITA. And not as versatile as you might think for a wide range of foods.
                          The melting point of cocoa butter is around 88*F I believe. Coconut oil is around 78*F. That should make cocoa butter a bit firmer than coconut oil, but not like working with lead or something. Stearic acid is longer chain than the lauric acid in coconut oil, so maybe that's a negative (lauric acid is 12:0 and stearic acid is 18:0), but it's still a very, very impressive fatty acid breakdown that is far better than most animal fats. I'm a curious guy. I think I'll have to try this and let y'all know how it goes
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-16-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I'm glad you brought this up. As a chocoholic, I researched this a few months ago regarding cooking with cocoa butter, but I found that it's uber expensive compared to every other butters I can get locally. If you're more than willing to shell out the price, I'm looking forward to when you start posting recipes with them. You seem to be more adventurous with your cooking than even I :P

On a side note, does this mean that we can now make white chocolate made with stevia? I have a soft spot for white chocolate, even though it has no real cacao content, but the sugar in it always drives me away.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              I'm glad you brought this up. As a chocoholic, I researched this a few months ago regarding cooking with cocoa butter, but I found that it's uber expensive compared to every other butters I can get locally. If you're more than willing to shell out the price, I'm looking forward to when you start posting recipes with them. You seem to be more adventurous with your cooking than even I :P
                              I'm a very boring person when I'm not drinking, so I need something to make things exciting At $17 shipped, I can handle it. Yes, it's a lot per pound for a cooking fat, but considering a pound will last me a very long time...

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              On a side note, does this mean that we can now make white chocolate made with stevia? I have a soft spot for white chocolate, even though it has no real cacao content, but the sugar in it always drives me away.
                              Yep. There's something about making your own chocolate with cocoa butter, cocoa powder, coconut oil and extract that sounds interesting to me...and I just bought an 8oz breakaway candy bar mold. And you can't really get any unsweetened white chocolate bars anywhere can you, let alone sweetened with stevia only. Hmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X