Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glandular fever in 4 .yo: what to give him?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Glandular fever in 4 .yo: what to give him?

    My son, 4.5 years old, was recently diagnosed with mononucleosis/glandular fever. As your typical doc will tell you, there is nothing to do but to rest. My naturopath recommended Vit C and D, as well as accupuncture, but I can't afford weekly sessions with him atm. Does anyone else have any ideas about other supplements, or dosage of the Vit D for kids, that might help him recover?
    I had mononucleosis/glandular fever at 23, and it was horrible. My son is nowhere near as fatigued as I was (it gets worse the older you are), but he looks really tired and flat all the time. Anyone with kids will know how hard it is to tell a 4 y.o to rest!
    Last edited by Glamorama; 11-15-2011, 08:15 PM.

  • #2
    So sorry, Glamorama.
    I have no words of wisdom. It's the WORST when our kids are sick.
    Isn't Glandular Fever another name for mononucleosis?
    Indigogirl

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by indigogirl View Post
      So sorry, Glamorama.
      I have no words of wisdom. It's the WORST when our kids are sick.
      Isn't Glandular Fever another name for mononucleosis?
      Yes, it must be! Sorry, I'm sticking to the Aussie term, but it is the same illness. Will re-write my original post.

      Comment


      • #4
        I had it too, at 16.
        The obvious: feed him good food, push liquids. Research the proper doses of vitmain D3 and C for his age. He'll slow down and rest when he needs to!
        Young children are incredibly resilient.
        Indigogirl

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by indigogirl View Post
          I had it too, at 16.
          The obvious: feed him good food, push liquids. Research the proper doses of vitmain D3 and C for his age. He'll slow down and rest when he needs to!
          Young children are incredibly resilient.
          I think proper dose for kids of D3 is 2000 IU a day (think I saw that in the monster-tread but will PM our resident Vit D3-experts and see what they say).
          I'm failing at the good food-thing. All the meals I cook are primal, but I have been giving him ice cream because it soothes the sore throat. I will do primal smoothies instead... that way I can sneak in some fresh fruit too!

          Comment


          • #6
            man that sucks... the vitamin D council recommends 1000mg of Vit D3/25lbs of body weight... so depending on how much ds weighs you can easily give him 2000mg w/o issues

            both dd and ds are taking 1000IU of Vit D3/day + a multi
            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

            Converted to PB November 2010
            SW 190lb
            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
            GW ~135lbs
            5'3"
            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Make sure he's drinking lots of water. Increase raw foods and quality proteins and avoid dairy. Bio-Immunozyme Forte, IAG, and Ultra Vir-X will help, they're food grade supplements. PM me if you want more info.
              $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

              "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire


              For nutrition/wellness tips:

              http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

              www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                man that sucks... the vitamin D council recommends 1000mg of Vit D3/25lbs of body weight... so depending on how much ds weighs you can easily give him 2000mg w/o issues

                both dd and ds are taking 1000IU of Vit D3/day + a multi
                Originally posted by tradawg View Post
                Make sure he's drinking lots of water. Increase raw foods and quality proteins and avoid dairy. Bio-Immunozyme Forte, IAG, and Ultra Vir-X will help, they're food grade supplements. PM me if you want more info.
                Ok, cool, that makes sense. He is nearly 50 lbs so 2000 IU should do fine then.

                He has been asking for lots of water himself, so it must be a real need, he drinks much more than usual. He is good with his primal meals (unlike his twin, who hates anything thats not made of pasta...) but his apetite seems less than before he got sick. What do the supplements contain? Minerals, vitamins? Enzymes?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Coconut water popsicles instead of the icecream. For acupuncture, do you have community acupuncture clinics in your area? What about an acupuncture school? Both options are less than a traditional visit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jkr View Post
                    Coconut water popsicles instead of the icecream. For acupuncture, do you have community acupuncture clinics in your area? What about an acupuncture school? Both options are less than a traditional visit.
                    Not as far as I know. ATM we are being charged $51 pr session, which is a lot on top of all the supplements and other health needs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mono doesn't get worse as one gets older. The severity depends on a variety of factors. For example, a hemotologist who was testing me for a familial genetic blood disorder (I was negative) told me when I was 35 that I'd had mono at some time in my life. I told him that I was never diagnosed with it, and he said that it could have been so mild that I simply felt 'unwell' for a few days. Then people can have a severe response, as you did. Your son may be simply having a milder response.

                      Good food and hydration are essential, and since his appetite is decreased by the illness, I would prepare foods he craves as much as possible.

                      He should recover fine without any need for acupuncture.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks Emmie, that makes sense.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X