Good Guys and Bad Guys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Guys and Bad Guys

Okay, so maybe this is a little bit of a rant, but I'm seriously going nuts here (PUFAs be damned).

I am constantly hearing "Grains are bad" or "Carbs are bad" or "Fat is good" and on and on. It's so frustrating!

Not only is any single food neither all good nor all bad, but painting every food in a group with the same broad brush is getting really old too. Yeah, I'm not a fan of wheat, but that doesn't mean white rice is a biological terrorist hiding behind Uncle Ben's smiling face. Sure, they're both grains, but...

And it happens with nearly every food group. It reminds me of watching the old Westerns where the good guys and the bad guys were clearly just that, 100% good or bad, depending on the color hat they wore.

I just wish everyone could see food on a spectrum, with good choices, better choices and worse choices. And the best choice for one person may be the absolute worst choice for someone else, and vice versa.

Why? Because I still think I'm a freaking special snowflake, and so is food.
    Durp.

Just had a conversation on facebook with a person allergic to beef. Boom. Can't follow that.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Bad is used relatively, obviously. Grains are bad relative to other choices. Nobody's debating whether you can live off of them.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
        Okay, so maybe this is a little bit of a rant, but I'm seriously going nuts here (PUFAs be damned).

I am constantly hearing "Grains are bad" or "Carbs are bad" or "Fat is good" and on and on. It's so frustrating!

Not only is any single food neither all good nor all bad, but painting every food in a group with the same broad brush is getting really old too. Yeah, I'm not a fan of wheat, but that doesn't mean white rice is a biological terrorist hiding behind Uncle Ben's smiling face. Sure, they're both grains, but...

And it happens with nearly every food group. It reminds me of watching the old Westerns where the good guys and the bad guys were clearly just that, 100% good or bad, depending on the color hat they wore.

I just wish everyone could see food on a spectrum, with good choices, better choices and worse choices. And the best choice for one person may be the absolute worst choice for someone else, and vice versa.

Why? Because I still think I'm a freaking special snowflake, and so is food.
        So true. Unfortunately if you think like this primal or paleo isn't the diet for you. Primal, paleo, low fat, atkins, etc. is ALL about vilifying certain foods or even whole macronutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
          Bad is used relatively, obviously. Grains are bad relative to other choices. Nobody's debating whether you can live off of them.
          Yeah, but grains aren't bad as a group; if anything wheat is, but not all grains. I still think white rice is perfectly fine, assuming you can handle the carbs, which many people do. But that's my point - that every food has its good and bad points, and those are going to be different for everyone.
          Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
            So true. Unfortunately if you think like this primal or paleo isn't the diet for you. Primal, paleo, low fat, atkins, etc. is ALL about vilifying certain foods or even whole macronutrients.
            You know, I don't think we agree on a lot of things, but I'm definitely with you on this one.

I do know there are some here that get it, that understand it's a matter of moment by moment choices, so I try to hang out with them.
            Durp.

Comment

You know, I don't think we agree on a lot of things, but I'm definitely with you on this one.

I do know there are some here that get it, that understand it's a matter of moment by moment choices, so I try to hang out with them.
              I'd like to think that once I can cope, I'm able to have, say, a tiny bit of bread or cake without my whole world falling apart. I think the key is to know your occassions and have it once in a while if you must (and if you can handle it without going on epic binges).

I still feel too frail to go out and try "bad" foods from my past, but I think once I've been primal for a lot longer, I will trust myself and my ability to stop at just a little bit, and enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

Food is simple.

If you can eat it raw, it's food.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                  Food is simple.

Oh no!!

Not you too sweet D?

Did we lose you to durianbiter?

WHHHYYYYYYY?????

Comment

Can't eat spinach raw. Oxalates. And meat has parasites. Even wild water shouldn't be drank raw. We cook for a reason. Cook your food.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      Food is simple.

Amen sister.
                      Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Can't eat spinach raw.
                        lol, millions of people eat spinach raw every day.

Comment

Umm if you read Mark's posts about white rice/ and even oats you'll see he agrees with you. I completely agree that certain things have their places, although some never do (wheat). White rice is fine post workout as well as any kind of potatoes. Some things are better then others. Nuts are fine if you don't eat too many of them, I think they are great for snacking while on a hike with some fruit...even raisins on a long hike.

Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

I dont know that anyone says rice is always bad nor nuts, so I think the majority agrees with you.
                          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Yeah, but grains aren't bad as a group; if anything wheat is, but not all grains. I still think white rice is perfectly fine, assuming you can handle the carbs, which many people do. But that's my point - that every food has its good and bad points, and those are going to be different for everyone.
                            This is a good write up citing an article in Nature of Sept 2011 discussing how consuming rice and white potatoes interferes with human gene expression.
                            Rice, Potatoes, Wheat, and Other Plants Interfere with Human Gene Expression | Evolvify

In my personal opinion, all grains are bad. (Yes, I said it ) From an evolutionary standpoint, a plant will ALWAYS want to deter you from digesting its reproductive parts. If you consume (digest) the part of the plant thats supposed to become the new plant, its game over for that plant from a passing-on-genes standpoint. Plants can't run away or fight back like animals can, so they include chemical deterrents to protect thier ability to pass on their genetic legacy. Yes, we know all of the bad stuff about wheat, but thats b/c its the most prevelant and therefore has the most research done on it. But in general, I think that humans are best to always avoid the reproductive parts of plants. As more and more research is done on other grains, I believe more and more negative things will come to light. But just using the abstract frame work of plants protecting their ability to reproduce is enough for me to make the assumption that all grains are to be avoided.

Comment

Who is your rant directed at exactly then? It was my understanding most people here understood rice was better than wheat.
                              Last edited by Bosnic; 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X