Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil

Hey guys,

I find myself eating more and more coconut oil. I am up to 4 or so servings a day. I am just wondering if you guys limit your intake of coconut oil ? I basically love the stuff and put it in/on everything I can. Chicken, eggs, veggies etc

I tried looking this up in older posts I just couldn't seem to find it

thanks in advance

Ryan

4oz (presuming 1 tbl is a "serving") = 500 calories.

That's all I will say.

Comment

Love the stuff too. I'll cook with it three times a week but I use it for my dry elbows instead of lotion. Works great.

Comment

OTB is right...you're not using too much coconut oil from a health perspective, but if you're counting calories keep an eye on it. That's probably the biggest mistake people make on a primal diet. It's easy to eat a TON of calories when you're consuming a lot of fat...many people end up gaining weight because of it.

Comment

I'm talking health perspective. Trying to cut back on nuts and seeds. I am 5'11 147 like 5% bf. No couting cals here lol

thanks guy.

I just love the nutty flavor it gives. Yummm

craving it now haha

Comment

Coconut oil has tons of health benefits. It is good for your thyroid and boosts your metabolism. It has been proven that the more coconut oil consumed, the less likely you will be of becoming obese. I would not worry about limiting it at all. And I found that it is usually kind of expensive, but this site sells 7 pounds of organic virgin coconut oil for $24.03 + shipping:

http://www.cibariasoapsupply.com/shop/index.php/organic-coconut-oil-7-lbs.html

They also have 7 pounds of the refined kind for $7.35 + shipping: http://www.cibariasoapsupply.com/sho...ite-7-lbs.html

Comment

Im currently eating the nutiva organic extra virgin stuff.

I guess since I am still only a few weeks into my primal journey, I am still kinda CW minded towards saturated fats. It's hard when everything you year contradicts each other. I'll get my mind right eventually

Thanks guys

Comment

Darien,

I'm a little concerned about anyone purchasing food from a soap company :-(

I checked the links, and it does not mention these oils' use for human consumption...

Comment

Coconut oil can also be used to make soaps. It is still the same kind of coconut oil, though. It's similar to how there is raw milk for "pet consumption" but it is fine for humans too and only labeled as for pets for legal reasons. Here are the specifications for the coconut oil where they mention it has a clean taste and is used in baking:

http://cibariasoapsupply.com/Spec%20...6%20DEGREE.htm

Comment

Sorry, darien.

Looking at that link did not convince me that their oils are food-grade. Not sayin' they aren't, but...

I get the "360" brand coconut oil from Whole Paycheck. It's delicious, and I also use it as a moisturizer. I would rather spend a bit more, and use food-grade on my skin.

Comment

Taken from their FAQ:

"Can these oils be used for consumption?

While these oils would technically be safe for consumption, we recommend heading to our other website at http://www.Cibaria-Intl.com to purchase any oils that are going to be used for consumption. Cibaria International oils will contain all necessary information and nutrition facts that are required by the food industry. "

http://www.cibariasoapsupply.com/shop/index.php/faq/

So basically it's regular coconut oil without the nutrition information and perfectly fine for consumption.

Comment

I agree with the above thoughts..

Marion Barrett

Lawyer Marketing

Comment

[quote]

I would not worry about limiting it at all.</blockquote>

Ummmm... yeah, you do need to limit coconut oil. Yes, it does put on weight if consumed in excess. I know many people on this board don&#39;t believe but calories do count. Believe it.

Comment

As long as you are maintaining a weight you are happy w/, I wouldn&#39;t worry about it. If weight starts creeping up, maybe look at cutting back?

_Eat Fat, Lose Fat_ by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig is basically all about losing weight by eating lots of coconut oil--part of their theory is that saturated fats (like coconut oil) are very satiating, and will lead to eating less food in general and to weight loss...

Comment

Tropical Traditions sells a coconut oil hair treatment. Even though the ingredients label only says "coconut oil", they say that it contains more of the coconut proteins/solids and is not suitable for cooking.

If you try to use it as an oil, it will burn. (I believe I read that last bit of info from someone who tried cooking with it.)

Comment

Working...
                              X