Snacking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snacking

Ok I think I finally have this figured out. Maybe. So I'm trying to eat 1600 calories a day and regardless of how I eat (more fat) I can't seem to fit that many calories into each meal so I'm having to eat a snack every day to get the full 1600. I've decided that when I eat below this I don't lose weight. If I eat only three meals a day I end up so full that I feel kind of gross afterward. Because of that I'm having to break up the 1600 calories into 4 meals. Is adding in that extra meal a bad idea?

I've been tracking calories so I can figure out where everything I eat is going (fats, protein, carbs) and so far I'm good on protein and below 75g carbs, should I just add in more fat?

Try IF's if u havent, im sure with it u can eat a lot more in one sitting and less often times.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

I am in the same boat and would love to know what people think. It is really hard for me to eat 500+calories per meal and not feel way bloated but when eating only 3 meals I don't feel like I am eating enough calories and I do not lose weight when I go too low. I am thinking of doing 4 meals.
      Pre-Primal SW: 161
      CW- 150
      Goal 120ish

Comment

Originally posted by Chochobo View Post
        Try IF's if u havent, im sure with it u can eat a lot more in one sitting and less often times.
        I have tried this and I still can't eat that much in one sitting. I was skipping breakfast and just doing a big lunch and dinner but it didn't work for weight loss and I was still hungry.
        Pre-Primal SW: 161
        CW- 150
        Goal 120ish

Comment

its hard for me to say cause im male but u can easily go over 500+ calories in one sitting u just gotta eat more calorie densed foods. like avocado, fattier meat, eat a few more eggs, throw in some extra butter on ur veggies. could be ur feeling bloated cause of the veggies some are harder to digest than others. also maybe dont drink any liquids 30min before u eat or during, it will fill u up faster.
          "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
          started @400+pounds
          CW: 191lbs 15%BF
          PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
          UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

I would guess that adding more fat would be a bad idea and I'm not a fan of snacking at all. I'd say add some primal healthy carbs if you just feel the need to up your calories a bit.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Snacking isn't ideal. Eating until you're full isn't either. Maybe you need to find a better combination of foods that keep you satisfied, but not full, and still eating enough. And if you go under one or two days, you'll probably be hungrier the next day and make up for it-getting 1600 calories every day isn't necessary.
              $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Originally posted by tradawg View Post
                Snacking isn't ideal. Eating until you're full isn't either. Maybe you need to find a better combination of foods that keep you satisfied, but not full, and still eating enough. And if you go under one or two days, you'll probably be hungrier the next day and make up for it-getting 1600 calories every day isn't necessary.
                What's wrong with eating until you're full?
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                  What's wrong with eating until you're full?
                  If you feel physically "full" than you've eaten too much. There's a difference between eating until full, and eating until satisfied. Not to mention, the OP stated that she felt gross after eating until full-that's never a good thing.
                  $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

If you take your total daily calories and divide it up into 3 meals but that amount of food makes you feel overstuffed and gross, well then, maybe it is time to re-think the total number of calories. Now that you are fat burning adapted, you may not need as many as before because your body makes up the deficit from your storage (the stuff you want to get rid of).

Comment

Maybe you're not hungry enough. It's pretty easy to eat 2000 calories in one meal. One possible strategy would be to try one meal a day and see what you can really do! Or, as suggested, shop for more calorically-dense food.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Even on the days I'm really hungry I never hit over 1400 calories. This probably comes from my constant dieting before going primal, I never ate more than 1300 calories and when you're consuming a lot of carbs like I was it was easy to hit 1300 with a lot less food. I've never been able to eat a lot; even as a kid I always ate really small portions. You may be right about not needing as many calories, I'm still used to trying to hit that magic # of calories everyday (another symptom of dieting before PB), but I'm learning that I don't need to eat a specific # of calories every day nor do I need to count them constantly. I wouldn't even track calories, but it helps me understand how much protein/fat/carbs I'm eating everyday. I could add in some more carbs, but I'm afraid if I do I'll stop losing weight. My goal is weightloss and lowering my body fat % so I'm trying to stay as low carb as possible. I just finished the 21 day transformation and everytime I've had any kind of grains or starchy carbs I get an upset stomach so I'm stuck with rice for now.

I just bought The Primal Blueprint and haven't made it to the chapter on IF yet, but I should probably skip ahead and read it since so many people have suggested I give it a try. I did go through some issues with anorexia as a teen, and I'm a little worried IF might bring up those issues. I'm a lot healthier now (mentally) and doubt I'd fall back into anorexia, but the thought of it does frighten me a little.

Comment

Easy way to get a dollop of calories is a nice can of coconut milk. 765 calories of saturated fat in just a few smooth swallows.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            Easy way to get a dollop of calories is a nice can of coconut milk. 765 calories of saturated fat in just a few smooth swallows.
                            Totally not stomach-able the first time around lol. Especially since she seems to have a pretty sensitive stomach.

I would second the recommendation of upping the carbs a touch. Or eat more protein.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

You can count me as part of the "too few calories for too long" camp. I've found simply getting used to eating "normal" amounts of solid food (esp. meat) in a meal again to be quite the hurdle to overcome after many years of weight loss attempts. Many days I find myself starting to feel "full" a third, perhaps halfway into a meal, and need to dedicate an extra 5-10min at the table to get through everything.

I've found small sips of liquid while eating to be helpful at times, along with making sure food is well seasoned & sauced. (dry, bland or uninteresting food is especially tough to choke down)

I know many around here advocate not counting calories, but IMO some sort of tracking is essential when pulling yourself out of long term calorie restriction, otherwise it's far too easy to slip back into old habits & food intake levels...

Feeling full & satisfied may be a good indicator for some, but simply following my hunger would leave me eating maybe 1500 calories, and that simply isn't enough for someone my size. (6'1" and ~260lbs)
                              Last edited by Fury; 11-15-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X