Meat and Veg, winter time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat and Veg, winter time

does anyone fancy less veg and more meat during the colder months or is it just me? generally i eat LOADS of veg but for the last 4-5 days all i really want is meat and fish.
    One time http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum.php

yea, this is what grok did. vegetables are plants and in the winter they die.

it's scary how well it all fits; in the summer you will eat more fruit and you will be more active, throwing sticks and your dog will catch it; in the winter you cannot be outside as much so you eat the meats from the winter mammals you hunt, and you do not have as much of the fruits, if at all.

Comment

Colder=more meat, Warmer=more fruits and veggies

Usually I have less of an appetite in the summer, and mainly want to eat fruits and vegetables, and in the winter I generally crave more meat and root vegetables. For some reason, I only seem to really want potatoes when it's cold outside.

Comment

Good to know I'm not alone and of course it does make sense from a primal angle. I guess i will listen to what my body is saying!

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post

it's scary how well it all fits; in the summer you will eat more fruit and you will be more active, throwing sticks and your dog will catch it; in the winter you cannot be outside as much so you eat the meats from the winter mammals you hunt, and you do not have as much of the fruits, if at all.

THIS. it makes so much sense!!

Comment

UGH.. so hard for me to eat veggies in the winter. Salads make me want to gag when its cold outside (weird I know). I eat apples and the occasional root veggie. Not near enough veggies though
            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I think some of it was from learned behavior. Grok may have migrated to warmer climates in the winter (or in some parts of the world is was warm all year round). Salads are cold and they make you colder.... warm food is more comforting.

I know back when I was a kid and had "summers off" I had much less of an appetite. The heat tends to do that. Since I started working in a climate controlled office that changed. I have the same appetite all year round except on summer weekends
              Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                Usually I have less of an appetite in the summer, and mainly want to eat fruits and vegetables, and in the winter I generally crave more meat and root vegetables. For some reason, I only seem to really want potatoes when it's cold outside.
                This is me, exactly. This is encoded into our DNA, methinks. It feels so natural to me, so I am done with the struggle and am going with it.

I'm currently reading a very interesting book called "Staying Healthy Through The Seasons" by Haas, which encourages quite a different diet in summer vs. winter. (This is based on TCM -- Traditional Chinese Medicine.)
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I will check that book out!

Comment

are you sure its not "Staying Healthy With the Seasons"?

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                      I think some of it was from learned behavior. Grok may have migrated to warmer climates in the winter (or in some parts of the world is was warm all year round). Salads are cold and they make you colder.... warm food is more comforting.

I know back when I was a kid and had "summers off" I had much less of an appetite. The heat tends to do that. Since I started working in a climate controlled office that changed. I have the same appetite all year round except on summer weekends
                      Grok wasn't a bird; he didn't migrate when it got cold. What made Grok what Grok was was the cold weather and his adaptation to it.

Comment

At the grocery store today, I bought frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix... which isn't something I normally want, but my usual big salad just isn't appealing right now, and that somehow was.

Comment

How about soups?
                          Either pureed soups with ingredients like squash, sweet potato, carrot, kale (stems too), spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, etc...
                          Or simply chopped meat/veggies in seasoned broth? peppers, onion, cabbage, celery, bok choy & such, kale/spinach, etc...

Originally posted by dado View Post
                          It fits, but kind of leaves out warmer climates and tropical areas that lack a prolonged and snowy winter, and where plants survive live year round. The fur covered hunter gatherer hunting mammoth on a glacier in north america makes for great imagery, but IMO it seems too recent to represent typical grok.
                          Last edited by Fury; 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM.

Comment

@ollie. I had to go look. Yes, you are correct. It is "with" not "through." This is it:
                            Amazon.com: Staying Healthy With the Seasons (9781587611421): Elson M. Haas: Books
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Thought so thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                              X