Is it the dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the dairy?

I am 2 weeks into my primal journey, and feeling pretty good, but have not lost any weight and have actually gained about 1 kg
    I have completely cut grains, but I am still having some dairy (full cream in a 1-3 coffees a day), and cook in butter sometimes (but mostly coconut oil). I think I am doing pretty great in eating to hunger so I don't feel like I am overeating. I eat a lot more vegetables, but no fruit at the moment, and grass fed meat. Sometimes after having the cream, I feel really sick and bloated. I know I should stop dairy, which I am trying so hard, but could it be enough to stop me losing weight?
    What else could I be doing wrong?
    Thanks so much for the help.
    I am reading through old threads, so might find someone who has had a similar situation as me.

not being able to give it up is a pretty good indication that you are having a problem with it. Ditch the cream for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. 2 weeks in isn't lots of time, but if you continue to not see results, check the leptin reset thread. You didn't say what you were eating before, but if you were a constant-junque/sugar eater/chronic dieter you might gain a bit of weight first.
    I go on a dairy fast every couple of weeks or so, just to make sure that it doesn't become a problem. It used to be very hard, and now no problem at all, especially butter.

Comment

Easy to drop. You won't miss it. You can always indulge once in awhile, but it definitely helped me lose a few pounds. About five pounds, actually.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I was eating a lot of brown rice and lean meats, very little good fats. Low fat dairy etc. But had problems with bingeing on Mcdonalds etc occasionally.
        Thanks for the advice Ill persist with it.

Comment

Might want to start by reading the book.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The book? You mean Primal Blueprint?
            Yes ive read it.
            No where did I read that dairy can stop you losing weight, if I missed that page, please tell me which it is on and I will apologise.
            Is this not the point of a forum, that you can ask questions?

Comment

Oh, of course, my friend! Sorry that came off harsh. But you did admit to eating brown rice, after all.

Have you discovered whether or not you are dairy intolerant?
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I was eating that way before I read PB

I have not yet been tested for that, but I think I may go to a Dr, and ask about it.
                Is it a simple test? I have not looked into at all yet, I do generally avoid Drs as much as I can LOL

Comment

I stopped all dairy 20 days ago. Since then, I've dropped 3 pounds, a half inch from my waist and a half inch from my hips. God knows, I'm eating lots. I'm now two pounds away from my goal weight; would like to lose another inch from the hips. Regarding the coffee, every now and then I add 1/4 cup of coconut milk (from the can, not from a carton) to a 10-oz cup of coffee. Maybe give that a try?
                  F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

The only way to figure out if you are intolerant to dairy and if it is hindering your weight loss is to do the good old n=1 study on yourself. Cut it for a month and see what happens. I was in the same boat a few months ago and tried it for 3 days. Then said screw it - I like cheese. So I certainly didn't take my own advice but I still think it is the only good advice - you just have to suck it up and do it

Comment

Knifegill and JackieKessler, what kinds of dairy were you consuming beforehand? And did your body find them difficult to digest in the first place, ie lactose intolerance?
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

thank you everyone for the advice, it does have to go at least for a month, wish me luck LOL For some reason its harder to give up my coffees than the grains. I have tried it with coconut milk, but its hard to get used to the taste, but it won't hurt to give up the coffee for a while anyway

Comment

It's been 2 weeks. Don't worry about the numbers so much.

Comment

Yes, lactose (especially from pasteurized) does not digest. Even hard cheese seemed to back me up a bit. Kefir works out fine, and a little raw milk here and there also poses no threat. For me. YMMV. But kefir and raw milk are expensive compared to my staple foods, and I don't need them so I don't buy them.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              Yes, lactose (especially from pasteurized) does not digest. Even hard cheese seemed to back me up a bit. Kefir works out fine, and a little raw milk here and there also poses no threat. For me. YMMV. But kefir and raw milk are expensive compared to my staple foods, and I don't need them so I don't buy them.
                              Understood. I like the taste of cheese and would love to continue to incorporate them since I absolutely love the taste, and that they are a pretty decent source of protein/saturates. Good to know that they are a huge improvement from pasteurized.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                              X