Fruit. Evil, evil fruit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
    It doesn't have to be if you make it yourself. A few years ago I was really good at making whole grain fat free baked goods. There are lots of ways to sub out butter and oil.
    Doesn't that like taste like carton?
    well then

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
      Eating that made me skinnier than I ever was. I was 132 lbs eating that. I haven't had a cake or pie in 9 months and I'm now 147 lbs. Avoiding dietary fat and eating nothing but cake, egg whites and yogurt made me ridiculously skinny.
      Dude, I cant keep up with you lol. I think you would be best off sticking to one thing for at least 3 months. Seems like you got a new crusade or tweak every other week. I read your journal from like May and saw you were changing things then and going to stick with it for like 12 weeks.....seems like you ditched that early and started something new. These sort of changes really take a longer trial period than 2-4 weeks to see results.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
        Well it's definitely not quite the same : )

*and I meant *Choco* up there, whoops

Comment

I know nothing about cake, but isn't cake full of fat as well?
          No. All butter/oil was substituted for a mixture of applesauce/fat free Greek yogurt. Occasionally I used canned pumpkin puree as well. I didn't even grease my baking pans - I used olive oil cooking spray.
          Originally posted by sjmc View Post
          But Chaco, you must have made your cheesecakes with fat-free dairy? Did that still work even with the higher water content? Oh and were there no yolks?? Sorry, I know I probably read a recipe back when you were posting them, but now I don't remember.
          I used 1% cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, then put it in a blender with egg whites and pureed until smooth. It came out surprisingly similar to cream cheese. I did try a bar of fat free cream cheese but it tasted so processed and God awful I never did that again.
          You'd be surprised. Some stuff wasn't great - brownies without fat were dry and lousy. However, pumpkin pie, cornbread and pumpkin bread were all delicious without any fat. I could make you a fat free banana bread that's just as good as a traditional banana bread full of butter. None of the stuff had wheat flour, though. I used white rice and tapioca flour for everything. Believe it or not, pretty much all those desserts were loosely primal if you're okay with dairy and rice flour.
          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-07-2012, 10:09 AM.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Dude, I cant keep up with you lol. I think you would be best off sticking to one thing for at least 3 months. Seems like you got a new crusade or tweak every other week. I read your journal from like May and saw you were changing things then and going to stick with it for like 12 weeks.....seems like you ditched that early and started something new. These sort of changes really take a longer trial period than 2-4 weeks to see results.
            This was an entire year ago. You're way off. I did this to cut down for a Halloween costume in 2011.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
              Surpass that level long enough and you're giving your gut flora a bounty to multiply from, leading to GI issues.
              Sweet, so if I eat 50g sugars from fruits along with my kraut, the amount of bacteria I just consumed exponentially increases?
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Show me a study where fruit consumption caused disastrous metabolic damage. Not sucrose, not HFCS, not agave, but real fruit.

It's the assumption in primal/paleo circles that Mother Nature isn't stupid, and human begins should best stick to a traditional human diet. Fruit depends on consumption by animals to survive - the seeds are eaten, excreted and the new plant grows where the seed was pooped out, complete with fertilizer. If fruit is not made attractive to be eaten and consumed, the species dies out. It seems to me that if 30% of the population can't tolerate fruit, that would make Mother Nature pretty stupid.
                I never said anything about disastrous metabolic damage, but rather malabsorption, which would actually be somewhat protective, as not as much hits the bloodstream. It could well be an adaption to keep us from getting too much. But if you can't absorb it then it goes on into the gut where it is fermented by bacteria. This is a different set of problems. There's the classic gut reaction, diarrhea/constipation/gas/pain and then it's also been linked to depression, anxiety, aches, fatigue and so on. And if you'll look at what I actually wrote you would see that the levels that a person can absorb vary, some being able to handle more than others. And women tend to be more susceptible than men, so you personally have that advantage. As for the intelligence of mother nature, I don't disagree. But up until recently most populations didn't have access to the levels of fructose now available to most. Not just in the form of HFCS and other processed foods, but fruit wasn't a constant. Even when it was available it was doubtful that there was enough for everyone to eat 4-5 pieces of fruit daily for months at a time. Gorging on fruit for a day or two then leveling out your consumption (which is a more likely scenario than gorging every day all year long) isn't likely to result in serious issues. Following are some links that go further into detail about what I' saying. And yes, in a research setting people were ingesting fructose in a liquid form, as it's much more efficient and one can control how much fructose a person actually ingests. But for those with FM eating an apple will have the same effect as downing a HFCS sweetened drink.

https://sites.google.com/site/fructmal/research

http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/13/5687.pdf
                Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                  Sweet, so if I eat 50g sugars from fruits along with my kraut, the amount of bacteria I just consumed exponentially increases?
                  No, that's not how it works. The kraut is feeding the bacteria that's on it if it's fermented. IIRC, there are estimated to be 500-ish species in the human gut, although not always in the same gut. Sugars that reach the gut will feed bacteria that like those sugars. The problem is that it feeds the good as well as the bad. And it depends on the type of sugar, as some are more readily absorbed while others are more likely to end up in the gut.
                  Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                    No, that's not how it works. The kraut is feeding the bacteria that's on it if it's fermented. IIRC, there are estimated to be 500-ish species in the human gut, although not always in the same gut. Sugars that reach the gut will feed bacteria that like those sugars. The problem is that it feeds the good as well as the bad. And it depends on the type of sugar, as some are more readily absorbed while others are more likely to end up in the gut.
                    Ah, makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

This was an entire year ago. You're way off. I did this to cut down for a Halloween costume in 2011.
                      Ah, to be young and not married. I think I remember actually caring what I looked like going to a costume party to get ripped and hopefully laid. Not much concern now as I piddle behind my kids when we walk around the block

Comment

After hiking the Pacific Crest Trail I attempted to keep up my weight loss eating all the grapefruit, mangoes and peaches I wanted. I'd have peaches or mangoes and plain yogurt for breakfast. I'd have a plate of cut up grapefruits for lunch, no sugar. I'd eat a regular dinner with my partner. The weight FLEW on me. I could see daily I was getting fatter and fatter. I tried to exercise at the same time but the hunger would get way out of proportion if I did anything strenuous, so I stuck to light activity (3 miles of walking a day maybe) and fruit and failed miserably.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                        X