Fruit. Evil, evil fruit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think it's much more than marginally. That's still not fair. White sugar vs apples or bananas is not a fair comparison, even marginally.

While raw honey may not be detrimental to your health, it isn't exactly nutritious, and it still sends your blood sugar soaring. You're best off not using it, but if you must use a sweetener, it's the best to use. Consuming several tablespoons of any sweetener in one sitting is never a good idea. Ever.
    I don't want to get into a hair splitting contest with you about the definition of marginally.

I'm glad to see you add this caveat about the fact that raw honey is still a sweetener and should not be overdone. Dr. Harris uses honey as a prime example of the fallacy of simplistically thinking Paleolithic=good, Neolithic=bad. Honey is very Paleo but it is still sugar.

Comment

While raw honey may not be detrimental to your health, it isn't exactly nutritious, and it still sends your blood sugar soaring. You're best off not using it, but if you must use a sweetener, it's the best to use. Consuming several tablespoons of any sweetener in one sitting is never a good idea. Ever.
      D'oh. Future carb refeed source of sweetener? I sometimes feel like purely-sweetened with stevia products still tastes artificial
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
        Is your before picture on the right or left? 2 layers of cake?
        lol my before is on the left. and ya 2 layers of cake.
        "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
        started @400+pounds
        CW: 191lbs 15%BF
        PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
        UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
          Just the fructose in it.... too much fructose not so good. Is it a carb up day Chochobo I thought you didnt recommend sugar for that
          ya of course carb up today is my 1000+g
          "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
          started @400+pounds
          CW: 191lbs 15%BF
          PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
          UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            D'oh. Future carb refeed source of sweetener? I sometimes feel like purely-sweetened with stevia products still tastes artificial
            No. 50% fructose component. You do not use sucrose or fructose for refeeds. You use glucose, so pretty much all sweeteners are out unless you can find pure dextrose somewhere. That's why I use stevia. It has a value of 0 across the board - calories, carbs and GI.
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
              Dang it, I think that fruit has become my new sugar. I crave fruit, and I eat too damn much of it, and I eat it when I'm not even hungry. Argh.

(Still worlds better than eating too much damn chocolate. Still. Argh.)

Just needed to say "Argh."

Argh.
              Do you eat any starchy carbs? Rice, sweet potatoes, white potatoes?

Sometime the "craving" for fruit is actually just your body craving more starchy carbs.

Comment

No. 50% fructose component. You do not use sucrose or fructose for refeeds. You use glucose, so pretty much all sweeteners are out unless you can find pure dextrose somewhere. That's why I use stevia. It has a value of 0 across the board - calories, carbs and GI.
                Wow that's depressing. What should I do with my honey then?
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by NDF View Post
                  Do you eat any starchy carbs? Rice, sweet potatoes, white potatoes?

Sometime the "craving" for fruit is actually just your body craving more starchy carbs.
                  REALLY???

I'll have a sweet potato maybe once a month. I'd been thinking that I'd like to start reincorporating potatoes/sweet potatoes more often. Maybe I'll give this a shot -- especially on work out days. Thanks!
                  F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Publix has these amazing dried plums...there's just no stopping at 3.

Comment

I'll have a sweet potato maybe once a month. I'd been thinking that I'd like to start reincorporating potatoes/sweet potatoes more often.Maybe I'll give this a shot -- especially on work out days. Thanks!
                      See how it goes. I find that eating starches during the carb ups just starts fueling me up for craving the real sweets. Eating fruit doesn't. Last carb up, I ate 2.5 cups (dry-measured) rice, was not hungry, and could not stop binging on sweets. Before starting carb-up I had no desire to eat sweets... So, stay vigilant.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        See how it goes. I find that eating starches during the carb ups just starts fueling me up for craving the real sweets. Eating fruit doesn't. Last carb up, I ate 2.5 cups (dry-measured) rice, was not hungry, and could not stop binging on sweets. Before starting carb-up I had no desire to eat sweets... So, stay vigilant.
                        Duly noted. Thanks!

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                          REALLY???

I'll have a sweet potato maybe once a month. I'd been thinking that I'd like to start reincorporating potatoes/sweet potatoes more often. Maybe I'll give this a shot -- especially on work out days. Thanks!
                          You don't have to turn it into a calculated "carb up" or refeed though. Just eat a piece of fruit 30-60min before you workout, and have your serving of sweet potato and maybe 1 serving of fruit after your workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                            But Leida, you are doing a program that has you deplete you muscle glycogen and eat really low carb and really low calorie for 4 days a week. Your experience with eating startches in that situation is going to differ from someone who isn't following UD2.0

Comment

Originally posted by NDF View Post
                              You don't have to turn it into a calculated "carb up" or refeed though. Just eat a piece of fruit 30-60min before you workout, and have your serving of sweet potato and maybe 1 serving of fruit after your workout.
                              Thanks for this guideline! I'd been working out on an empty stomach; I'll give this a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                                Wow that's depressing. What should I do with my honey then?
                                Use it sparingly. A little bit brushed over a pork loin or some grilled chicken is great. You can make a great Asian marinade with chili paste, tamari, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and a little honey. It's also good in some buffalo wing sauce to take the edge off. Even a teaspoon in a cup of tea won't kill you. It depends what your goals are. The less fat you want to lose, the less you have to limit honey consumption.
                                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                                X