Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Intermittent Fasting appropriate for beginners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lean Saloon, what advice would you give me? I workout first thing in the morning after a cup of black coffee. Afterward I don't eat, merely because I'm not hungry. I usually eat late in the day, and sometimes even more towards the evening. I'm trying to "balance" my body out by eating only when I'm hungry. I find eating this way fairly easy, and not forced at all, but not sure what it would do. So far I've lost a few inches off my waist, and my strength seems to be steadily increasing. Thoughts?

Comment

Hi Kaizen,

I wouldn't worry too much about not eating after your morning workout to continue the fast. As I mentioned, while a post-workout meal may increase protein synthesis, it doesn't necessarily equate to increased muscle mass, as muscle mass has a lot to do with the overall protein turnover rate (or the balance of anabolism and catabolism) as influenced by gene expression induced by mechanical stress placed on the muscle from your workout, and by your genetics.

Also, continuing the fast after your workout allows your body to enjoy a prolonged state of increased fat mobilization, especially helpful if you're seeking to lose some fat.

Comment

A bit technical for me, but thanks a lot for the info Lean saloon. Yes I'm looking to lose some fat, I'll keep going this way until I can.

Comment

@The Lean Saloon

What about eating 3,500 calories within 2 hours? Is that bad? Can your body process all that stuff? You seem to know a lot about this topic, I hope you can answer me.

Thanks.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Kaizen,

Although the stomach does not "shrink," it is, however, highly elastic and rebounds to its naturally smaller size when there&#39;s no food content or blood flow for digestion. As such, it is generally difficult and downright uncomfortable to over-stuff yourself with food in one sitting.

But in a 2-hour period, you can probably put down 3500 calories without much discomfort. Is this bad? As long as you don&#39;t chronically exceed your daily requirement (but that would mean you have an energy regulating impairment, which the Paleo Diet helps prevent or even repair), I don&#39;t see any reason why this is bad. The stomach content will simply take longer to digest.

There are cultures that typically eat the majority of their food in one meal, and I&#39;ve known people who take their entire day&#39;s calories in one meal (a popular bodybuilder from the 80s also ate all of his calories in one single meal -- definitely ahead of his time).

Comment

I find myself IF&#39;ing on accident. If i&#39;m busy working after a satiating meal, I&#39;ll forget lunch or not even be hungry for dinner.

I usually eat two meals, unless I get up real early, although, sometimes I&#39;m not hungry till lunch. I&#39;ll have a big lunch and I won&#39;t have dinner, maybe just a little snack.

Comment

Well, I had my first slip up tonight - 15 pizza rolls w/ranch, 2 doughnuts, and a can of mountain dew (about 1000 calories in all). It didn&#39;t blow my daily calorie count out of the water but I have a weigh in on Wednesday so I think this is the perfect time for my first IF. I&#39;m going to have breakfast tomorrow morning and then I&#39;m not going to eat again until Wednesday morning, after my weigh in.

Let&#39;s see how this works.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

Jokaman, for breakfast, eat Paleo -- or eat something low in carbohydrates, to start off your fast with stable blood glucose.

You should be fine. It&#39;s the beauty of intermittent fasting. (But it should not often be a tool to "fix" such slip-ups.)

Comment

I agree 100% and to use it as such would only lead to a vicious and unhealthy cycle.

I&#39;ll have my typical omega-3 eggs, reduced sodium bacon, and cheddar cheese omelet in the morning, with a piece of fruit, and go from there.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

I find that I often have to force myself to eat three meals a day (if I do ... usually I just eat two)... I&#39;m never hungry at "breakfast time" and by the time I&#39;m hungry in the morning I&#39;m already at class and thus must wait until lunch anyway. So I usually just eat lunch and dinner.

My question is: does this reduce the benefit of a 24-hr fast?

Should I make an effort to eating three meals a day and just skipping a random meal at random times?

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

Amy, much of the fasting benefits seem to initiate around the 12- to 14-hour mark. However, simply going longer between meals, even if doesn&#39;t reach 12 hours or more, still provide positive effects: less postprandial stress and inflammation, less insulin, increased insulin sensitivity, differentiation between true hunger and habitual hunger, stimulation of fat-burning growth hormone (ghrelin induced), positive nutrient partitioning, etc.

Also, skipping RANDOM meals might be better than merely skipping the same meals over and over, as skipping meals you&#39;re used to eating allow for the release of ghrelin, which stimulates growth hormone and thus fat mobilization.

In other words, don&#39;t stress about the length and duration of an intermittent fast. Anytime you go longer between two meals, you&#39;re doing something good.

Comment

Working...
                        X