Parsnips.... I'm in love.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips.... I'm in love.

I hate myself for waiting almost 35 years to eat a parsnip.

I made kind of a "tuber stew" in the crock pot Monday with a grass fed bone in chuck roast, carrots, parsnips, turnip, and celery.. was amazed at how similar to potatos the chunked parsnips were.

So last night I made Parsnip "fries" in the oven.. seasoned with olive oil, paprika, chile powder, salt and pepper... wow.

That is all.

Ya, they're good.

Comment

You can also steam and mash them. Non Primal people would never know they are not being served spuds. And the leftovers mixed with some egg make great pancakes for breakfast.

Comment

I adore parsnip mash -- it's delightful covering a lamb cottage pie.

Comment

Steamed and then roasted in a hot oven until they're crisp and browned. My god. They are marvelous.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I've also recently discovered the wonders of parsnip. Everyone loves them and they are so cheap too!
            Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
            CW - 60kg / 132lb
            GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

I roasted some veggies in the oven the other night, including parsnips, and my son went crazy over them. I've never made them for my family, this was the first time, and he can't wait until I make them again!

Diane

Comment

I love parsnips! Another tuber that I didn't try until my 30s is kohlrabi. It's so yummy. I peel it and cut it up matchstick size with my v-slicer. Then I cook it in boiling water for about 5 minutes. I finish it in a pan with a little butter and garlic. Maybe some grated parm. It also makes great "hash browns" the next day with a little egg mixed in.

ETA: It's also not very high carb, all things considered. 7g per 100g vs 17g per 100g for a parsnip.
                Last edited by DaisyEater; 11-10-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I fell in love with fennel recently, after spending 31 years avoiding them!

Comment

Originally posted by tcb View Post
                    I hate myself for waiting almost 35 years to eat a parsnip.
                    My sentiments exactly. (I, too, waited the same number of years.)
                    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I thought that they were a unit of time measurement from Star Wars. As in "It made the Kessel run in 12 parsnips.".
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Oh no! I am 38 and have never tried one. Adding parsnips to my grocery list now.
                        Went grain free Oct 2011 and now Feb 2012, going for Primal.
                        SW: 151 CW: 144

2-14-12, Pull up challenge sign up!
                        2-16-12, Slow Movement challenge begins! 5.7mi/9.17km

"For every journey that passes, something beautiful remains."

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                          I thought that they were a unit of time measurement from Star Wars. As in "It made the Kessel run in 12 parsnips.".
                          Zing!
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

OMG, yes. They are the best. I like sweet potatoes and parsnips WAY better that ordinary potatoes and carrots (I hate carrots).
                            "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                              I love parsnips! Another tuber that I didn't try until my 30s is kohlrabi. It's so yummy. I peel it and cut it up matchstick size with my v-slicer. Then I cook it in boiling water for about 5 minutes. I finish it in a pan with a little butter and garlic. Maybe some grated parm. It also makes great "hash browns" the next day with a little egg mixed in.

ETA: It's also not very high carb, all things considered. 7g per 100g vs 17g per 100g for a parsnip.
                              I grew up eating that one.. Kind of cabbage-ey. Good stuff. I always ate it raw.. Never tried to cook one.
                              Last edited by tcb; 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X