Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NO Change in Body Comp or Wt- What's Wrong???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO Change in Body Comp or Wt- What's Wrong???

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been eating Paleo for 7 weeks now. I feel great but am so frustrated by the lack of improvement in my body comp! I took measurements and weighed myself at the start and there has been NO change at all!! Here's some background:

45yo female 5'9" 140lbs
    I'd like to get rid of the fat- lose about 10 pounds (I have a smallish frame)
    I have been doing crossfit for a year now. 4-5 x/week, but we do strength training for 2 of those workouts.
    I sleep at least 8 hours a night and don't have any considerable stressors in my life.

Typical meals:
    Breakfast- coffee with canned coconut milk (3T)
    2 or 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil scrambled with spinach and 1/2 a sweet potato
    sausage or bacon
    Lunch- large bowl of greens, with any other available vegetables
    5 oz of chicken, salmon, or steak
    1/2 an avocado
    topped with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice
    sometimes another cup of coffee with coconut milk
    Dinner- 6-8 oz salmon, shrimp, beef, or chicken
    veggies sauteed in butter or coconut oil
    occasionally a cup of berries with coconut milk
    glass of red wine

I'm generally eating at least 100g of protein, over 100g of fat, and under 50g carbs each day. I stay away from nuts and fruit except for berries 2-3x/week. Sometimes I'll make a higher fat dinner like a curry stew and eat leftovers the next day. What can I do to improve???

Thanks!

try IF (Intermittent Fasting) for 14-18 hours at least a few days a week. Skipping breakfast is the easiest way for me.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

You will likely need to go low fat (Paleo rather than Primal), perhaps add carb-ups, because it appears that classic Primal lends you in the healthy isostasis. If your BF% is ~ 18-22%, as it seems to be from your #s, your body will resist shedding fat with a vengeance unless you do some targeted programs, not a generic Primal/Paleo.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Also are you doing sprints? I would stay away from the sweet potato except on lifting days. You can also try carb cycling. High carb/low fat on lifting days and your typical diet with no starchy carbs on cardio/off days. The other option is to try a leptin reset.
        Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I'm doing sprints about once a week, but not consistently.

Comment

You're 5'9 and 140lbs. I believe your weight is lower than the norm for your frame. Now, if you want vanity pounds off, then try IF or closely monitor your calories.

Comment

What is your water intake like? A chronically dehydrated body is in survival mode and is not going to be releasing anything.
              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                You will likely need to go low fat (Paleo rather than Primal), perhaps add carb-ups, because it appears that classic Primal lends you in the healthy isostasis. If your BF% is ~ 18-22%, as it seems to be from your #s, your body will resist shedding fat with a vengeance unless you do some targeted programs, not a generic Primal/Paleo.
                This.

You are eating too much fat. You can't burn stored fat with all that dietary fat, and your body is lean enough that it doesn't want to lose the subcutaneous fat. That is emergency survival fat. And here's the real kicker - if you cut too much fat and your calories too low, your body will hold onto that fat even more. The answer is typically lots of carbohydrate and not a lot of fat. You may want to check out the top link in my signature.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

i second upping the carbs. A couple of tubers once in a while shouldn't hurt

Comment

Lots of great feedback- many thanks!!!

Comment

This sounds like my story too. I have lost almost nothing. I really don't want to go back to low fat, high carb. I get so hungry and miserable. Unceasing hunger is why I decided to try this diet. I guess I am just doomed to be fat forever.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Question about upping the carbs- stick to squashes and tubers or add fruit? Am I shooting for 100-150 grams of carbs? As far as protein goes, am I on the right track with 100-115g/day?

Comment

Originally posted by nolagirl View Post
                          Lots of great feedback- many thanks!!!
                          Anything/person with nola in the title rocks. I agree with most here, try IF, lower fat. To get really lean, you'll have to cut back.

Comment

Additionally i woudl throw in the ring this. Sometimes the body has things to repair that has nothing to do with size and shape. Sucks esp when you cannot control it.

Personal expeirience, Why in the world does my body feel that melanin production is more important than weight loss????
                            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by nolagirl View Post
                              Question about upping the carbs- stick to squashes and tubers or add fruit? Am I shooting for 100-150 grams of carbs? As far as protein goes, am I on the right track with 100-115g/day?
                              Squashes and fruits generally aren't good. Squashes are too low carb and high fiber, so they don't affect blood sugar much. Fruit has a large fructose component, so that's also undesirable. What you want is starch - white potatoes, white rice, sweet potatoes and tapioca flour are my go-to carb sources. Bananas are the best choice if you want to incorporate some fruit since they have a large starch component, though they won't be as effective. I suppose if you want to go to the trouble of proper preparation, you can use gluten free oats, quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum and the like, but note that they're higher in anti-nutrients and should be soaked and fermented before use if you care to. Effective sources are also SKIM MILK and and plantains. I've never used plantains before, but they're a moderate to high GI starch, so they're game.

What you generally want to do is go 4-5 days at a 20-25% caloric deficit, say, Monday thru Friday. On those days, eat low carb, around 40-60g of carbs a day, which should be around 15-20% of total calories. Protein should be high at 1g/lb of body weight. The rest of your calories will be filled in with dietary fats, with MCT's taking priority (think coconut and palm here with maybe some butter). I react best completely avoiding dairy as it halts my fat loss, so drinking milk, yogurt, cottage cheese and lots of butter could really slow you down as these things are more insulinogenic than sugar, and we're trying to keep insulin at a minimum on these days. Workouts over these days should be fat burning - think low level cardio like brisk walks, slow jogs and low pace bike rides for around 40 mins. These are also the days you'd want to take off.

For 2-3 days a week, you do your carb ups. 100-150g of carbs a day is a joke. Try 250-350g of carbs. When I go hardcore on the UD2, I eat 1,000g of carbs on Friday and I only weigh 133 lbs. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do that but I just want to illustrate that you actually need to eat starch for this to work and not to fear it. Primal starch is very healthy. On these days, fat should be kept as low as possible. The lower the better. The more you eat, the more you will bloat. You definitely do not want to exceed 50g in the day, but if you can keep it in the 20's and 30's, that's even better. Protein remains around 1g/lb of body weight and this shouldn't change. These are the days you lift heavy things. In addition, you want to eat around 10% over maintenance calories. Think of your schedule like this (every day assumes 1g/lb of protein):

Sunday: 15 mins HIIT, 1-1.5g/lb lean body mass carbohydrate, maintenance calories
                              Monday: OFF, ~50g carbs, 20-25% calorie deficit
                              Tuesday: 40 mins low level cardio, ~50g carbs, 20-25% calorie deficit
                              Wednesday: OFF, ~50g carbs, 20-25% calorie deficit
                              Thursday: 40 mins low level cardio ~50g carbs, 20-25% calorie deficit
                              Friday: Chest/Back/Shoulders, heavy reps, 3g/lb lean body mass carbohydrate, 10-20% caloric surplus
                              Saturday: Legs/Arms/Core, heavy reps, 2.5g/lb lean body mass carbohydrate, 10-20% caloric surplus

So if you weigh 140 lbs and you have 22% body fat, your lean body mass is 109 lbs. That means on Friday you eat 325g of carbs, on Saturday you eat 275g of carbs and on Sunday you eat 100-150g of carbs.

Remember, a calorie deficit is a recovery deficit, so make sure you eat plenty of food on the days you lift heavy things. It's also critical not to overexert yourself on the low level days, so that's why we keep activity lower when you're taking in a deficit. Overworking yourself will just generate cortisol and you'll tend to lose muscle over fat, so don't go doing tons of cardio. There's no reason why you should ever be going to the gym for more than an hour on this plan.

You also want to pair your workouts with the fuel you burn. Since low level cardio burns fats, you want to do that on the days you're eating low carb. Similarly, since intense weight lifting relies on glycogen stores and sugar burning, you want to eat your carbs on those days and minimize fats. If you did cardio on high carb days and did your lifts on low carb days, you'd probably fail doing this. The reason why this works is you do your carb-ups post lifting heavy things, so your muscles soak up the carbs instead of your fat cells. It's partitioning - you get the big insulin spike for muscle growth with none of the fat storage, and after 4 days of low carb and caloric restriction, your body will be too busy using the carbs for recovery and repair. This is why it works.
                              Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X