Coconut milk in a carton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut milk in a carton

After reading Mark's post about food tin linings and the FDA's gross, criminal regulatory shortcomings I dont want to eat anything that has been tinned. However, teh challenge is to find coconut milk not contained in a tin can. Has anyone in the UK got a source for coconut milk in a carton or similar packaging...? And while we're at at, also a source for non canned and non smoked sardines/mackerel or do I really need to head to the fish market for those items?

thank you

I was suggested to buy Creamed coconut like this Coconut Cream Concentrate - Tropical Traditions as it has less added to it, so I will be buying some

You can buy mackeral fillets in most supermarkets that are generally smoked in vac pack bags, failing that do you have a fish monger nearby?

Comment

Thanks for the link Mark

I've got the mackerel you mean in my fridge right now. But guess what, apparently the smoking increases risk of cancer. However I dont know whether this is true for proper smoked fish or only to meats which have chemicals added to them to taste like they have been smoked. I dont know whether they do this to fish too, or only meat... The label doesnt reveal anything.

I do have a fish monger nearby, in the fish harbour actually B)

Comment

No problem, I will have to buy some now myself, esp as I love coconut.

I didn't realise the smoking increases risks of cancer, but I am thinking along the same lines as youself, perhaps the chemicals! Smoking is relatively easy to do at home too, if thats an option, I undertsand if not, I am a chef and barely get time to worry about my own diet/lifestyle!!

I should have posted the UK link as we live in UK

http://www.health-organic.co.uk/new-...centrate-470ml
        Last edited by markfj; 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

thanks pal. I'd love to try the smoking as I cant imagine it is hard to do. But I dont think my (terraced house) neighbours would appreciate it. Another reason to live int he sticks...

Comment

BTW: are there many feertilizers, pesticides, herbicides etc involved with the coconut tree? I've wondered this as I've found coco-milk tins that are half the price compared to the organic and have only water added....

Comment

Wouldn't Native Forest brand be a better choice, at least for the coconut milk? The cans are BPA free, at least...

I would love to find coconut milk in a carton, but haven't seen it ever!

Comment

ow wow! Are these available n the UK? BPA was the thing that stopped me from buying the tinned stuff.

Comment

Not sure... but check Amazon!! Or the Native Forest site?

Comment

They have to make it. Otherwise how would they find missing Hawaiian kids?
                    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Substitutes for Bisphenol A Could Be More Harmful

Substitutes for Bisphenol A Could Be More Harmful:

Originally posted by NYTimes
                      Health activists have focused their efforts to reduce use of BPA mainly on products that hold food or drink, like water bottles, baby bottles and epoxy-lined food and beverage cans. Restrictions on BPA use have been imposed in the European Union, Canada and some U.S. states. But a recent study published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives found that alternative chemicals might not be much safer. Almost all commercial plastic products sampled in the study, including products advertised as BPA-free, leached chemicals that had estrogenic activity. Some of the BPA-free products showed more estrogenic activity than products with BPA.

“Consumers need to understand that products advertised as BPA-free or phthalate-free is a marketing solution rather than a health solution,” said George Bittner, a chemist and neurobiologist who helped write the study.

Even biodegradable, plant-based bioplastic products are mostly made with processes using the same chemicals.

Comment

Ugh! Looks like glass jars are the way forward, right?

Comment

So Delicious brand makes coconut milk in the carton, however, it's not whole coconut milk. It's watered down. Boo.
                          http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

is it organic or has anything been added (apart from the water of course)?

Comment

The So Delicious brand has thickeners and other crap in it, it's not pure coconut milk. I buy AROY-D coconut milk that is both preservative and BPA-free. You can order it via the internet here.

Comment

Working...
                              X