I just want to snack all the time!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just want to snack all the time!

I thought primal eating would make me less hungry! I find myself eating too much fruit and nuts/nut butter. I'm home all day with the kids, so the food is right there. Before I went primal I used to snack on toast or muffins, so I guess I'm doing better, but I still feel like it's not optimal by a long shot.

Is there something better I could be snacking on? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm 37, not overweight. Moderately active. I do yoga, but I don't work out at all, so I don't need the "extra" calories.

Thanks for any suggestions.

eat until you are no longer hungry .... ignore snacking a couple days .. and you will no longer have the urges imho
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Eat bigger meals, and don't snack no matter what.
      Lifting Journal

Comment

I agree with Apex Predator. Urge to snack is probably a sign that your meals are not nutritionally complete. I suggest more complete protein (e.g., not nuts) with your meals and lots more fat, like butter or coconut.

Here is some motivational anti-snack propaganda:

Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
          I agree with Apex Predator. Urge to snack is probably a sign that your meals are not nutritionally complete. I suggest more complete protein (e.g., not nuts) with your meals and lots more fat, like butter or coconut.

Here is some motivational anti-snack propaganda:

Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG
          +1 plus fruit all tho not horrible for u(in moderation) breaks down too fast into sugar. so it would be an endless cycle of eating fruit and not really feeling full for long.
          "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
          started @400+pounds
          CW: 191lbs 15%BF
          PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
          UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

More meat, more fat.
            Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

Neverbored, we really need to know more about you and your eating habits. For all we know, your urges to snack could be the result of sleep deprivation or seasonal depression - in which case more complete protein isn't the solution.

Do you keep track of your calorie balance and macro-nutrient ratios? That would definitely be helpful.
              Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

List some meals for us! Maybe you aren't eating enough. Shoot for around 2000 to 3000 calories a day, if you're like most people.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I used to snack on nuts, fruit and even ice cream in the beginning. I was just avoiding grains and legumes to start, but then was able to make beter choices as time went on. Focus on a big high protien breakfast and make a no snacking rule until you get past it. I used to snack and stress eat, but when snacking became a no no, I learned to make other choices. If you really want something, just wait until the next meal for it and drink a glass of cold water or make some tea instead. You can change your habits, just give yourself a chance.

Comment

Leptin reset! Sorry, someone had to.

Comment

Big meals with a spoonful of CO after breakfast and lunch helped me beat the snacking-monster.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                        Big meals with a spoonful of CO after breakfast and lunch helped me beat the snacking-monster.
                        75% of overeating and excessive snacking is caused by emotions (source: MedicineNet.com). I'm not sure coconut oil and increased portion sizes is the best advice if the original poster is suffering from emotionel eating.
                        Yeah, my grammar sucks. Deal with it!

Comment

OK, my typical meals are:

2 eggs for breakfast
                          apple or banana with almond butter for snack
                          1 bowl of veggie chicken soup or salad for lunch
                          more fruit and nuts for snack, maybe some yogurt too
                          meat and veggies for dinner
                          random handfuls of nuts or dried fruit at other times or after dinner

I typically have 3 cups of coffee with cream as well.

I don't think I'm eating 2000 calories. Probably more like 1700. I weigh 125 and am 5'8" and would like to stay there.

I do snack emotionally - I just like to munch on stuff.
                          But I do feel hungry as well, like cravings for salty/sweet munchies. I should try the coconut oil. Maybe I'm not getting enough fat?

And what is leptin reset?

Wow, so many of you just don't snack at all? That seems impossible to me. Like snacks are one of my unalienable rights

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.
                          Maybe I just need more willpower. I was thinking the cravings would just disappear...

Comment

Originally posted by neverbored View Post
                            OK, my typical meals are:

2 eggs for breakfast
                            apple or banana with almond butter for snack
                            1 bowl of veggie chicken soup or salad for lunch
                            more fruit and nuts for snack, maybe some yogurt too
                            meat and veggies for dinner
                            random handfuls of nuts or dried fruit at other times or after dinner

I typically have 3 cups of coffee with cream as well.

I don't think I'm eating 2000 calories. Probably more like 1700. I weigh 125 and am 5'8" and would like to stay there.

I do snack emotionally - I just like to munch on stuff.
                            But I do feel hungry as well, like cravings for salty/sweet munchies. I should try the coconut oil. Maybe I'm not getting enough fat?

And what is leptin reset?

Wow, so many of you just don't snack at all? That seems impossible to me. Like snacks are one of my unalienable rights

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.
                            Maybe I just need more willpower. I was thinking the cravings would just disappear...
                            if you're not overweight I don't see a problem with your eating habits though I would cut down on nuts personally.
                            Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Looking at your meals, I suspect you are snacking because you are not getting enough protein or fat with your meals. If you were to add a burger patty and some sauteed greens to your breakfast and two whole chicken thighs cooked in ghee to your lunch your snacking needs would drop.

I agree that in the beginning it is just fine to use fruits, nuts, and dairy as needed, especially since you don't have excess weight to loose. So don't be too hard on yourself Long term though, there are hormonal and health benefits that you may get from limiting nuts and snacking. Really this diet is ideally centered on meats, fats, veggies, and whole fruits.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X